Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my puppy pees around people...

shortiethedog
October 24th, 2007, 09:02 PM
[COLOR="cyan"]:shrug: My 5 month old dog pees a river whenever a new "friend" comes around our house. I know it's because she is exited, but I'm getting embarassed when someone visits. Will she ever grow out of hese stupid thing?!:confused:

happycats
October 24th, 2007, 09:26 PM
Ask your visitors to completely ignore (don't talk to or touch) your dog when they come in. Only after the dog completely calms down should they approach it.

Isolde
October 25th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Ask your visitors to completely ignore (don't talk to or touch) your dog when they come in. Only after the dog completely calms down should they approach it.

2nd on this, it will work :)

Ford Girl
October 25th, 2007, 01:54 PM
Hi there, my pooch Dazy did this, every time we had company or we went in to a favorite place of hers...so I feel your pain!!!

Ignoring it is the best method to use however you can't always count on your friends to do this. One thing I did was in the puppy stage - take her out for a pee 10 minute beofre your company arrives or before you go in to the place of excitment. That helps. And at that age, it's alot to do with bladder control then submission or excitement.

My dog is now a year old and if he bladder is full she will still make a small mess, but it's rare, she did it the other night walking into agility class, she was just happy to be there, and no one triggered it. They do get better control as they grow...it no longer happens at our house with guests.

This issue isn't uncommon.