Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dogs, Puppies, and Stores

breeze
October 24th, 2007, 12:55 PM
my question is if a dog can get sick by going into a pet store and being around puppies that are 8 weeks old, and other animals??

I have a place here that I can bring my dog to get use to people and other animals including puppies, but I just down want her to get sick or get fleas if I bring her there..

I want to get her use to many different things and since I do not have the opertunity around my house (so that I can train her), I would love to bring her there..

ancientgirl
October 24th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I can only guess that if your dog has had the proper vaccinations, the only thing you may need to worry about is fleas. Unless you use a flea treatment, but I don't know how well those would work in a place where there might be lots of them.

Just a guess. Sorry. I'm kind of curious myself to know the answer.

rainbow
October 24th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I agree....Bree would be fine since her vaccinations are up to date. I would be concerned about fleas, mites, etc. though as well as kennel cough. Is this a pet store that offers day care? You could ask them.....perhaps they only allow pets that have already been treatd for these things? :shrug:

hazelrunpack
October 24th, 2007, 02:34 PM
Yep, if Bree's vaccinations are up to date, she's probably safe, give or take the occasional case of kennel cough she might get exposed to. It's the puppies that are more in danger of picking something up from adult dogs that are allowed in the store, since the pups aren't properly vaccinated yet.

A flea preparation should prevent her from picking up an infestation. Just make sure she's treated all year if you plan on visiting the shop all year.

There are no absolute guarantees, of course, but we used to take our dogs to places like PetCo pretty frequently and never had any problems. (And, in case you're wondering--no, we didn't take them all at once! :laughing:)

rainbow
October 24th, 2007, 03:14 PM
we used to take our dogs to places like PetCo pretty frequently and never had any problems. (And, in case you're wondering--no, we didn't take them all at once! :laughing:)

Awww....PetCo doesn't know what they missed out on. :cloud9:

breeze
October 24th, 2007, 06:02 PM
It's just a store where they sell leashes, food, toys, doggie and cat.... they are behind a closed glass window. but they encurage people to bring their dogs in to get them use to people,kids, and other noises.....It's a nice place clean as far as I can tell..I go in their by myself when I just want somewhere to walk to..

I would just like to subject Bree to this so I could teach her how to behave..

rainbow
October 24th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I have the same problem with Chase as he's had to be confined for the last year due to his surgeries. I would love a place like that to go to. :o

breeze
October 24th, 2007, 06:19 PM
the only thing is that the dog must be on the leash at all times..cause it's a store..

rainbow
October 24th, 2007, 06:22 PM
Well, I think that's a good thing.