Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

14yr old Dachshund, anal glands removed monday - after care?

jacksmum
October 24th, 2007, 11:23 AM
My poor baby had some issues with his anal glands and ultimately, vet decided it was time for surgery (I am still not sure about this having been necessary....). Surgery was on Monday of this week. He came home last night, ate his food, drank a ton of water and went to sleep. In the middle of the night, he must have decided he needed to go ....... and it was everywhere. He has drippy diarrhea, blood and the same fishy smell he had before the sacs were removed. He is very unhappy and straining to go. The vet has said that I cannot use a compress. He is scooting. He is incontinent (was all in his bed too). My house is a disaster and I am very very upset and second guessing the surgery.

My questions - how does one properly care for a dog that has had this procedure? What can I expect with regard to incontinence? Is he in pain? Why the bleeding?

Thank you for any advice.....I am beside myself with grief. I do not want to lose my baby....

Jack the Dog's Mum:cry:

UPDATE: (I had already called vet and husband took him in) - stitches on outside of wound had come out!!!!! How on earth does one stop a poor little dog from rubbing his rear when it itches, hurts.....I just cannot take this. Vet has said he needs to stay in his pet carrier - for cyring out loud - he won't be able to move around or anything! Anyone have any suggestions for making him more comfortable?

sugarcatmom
October 24th, 2007, 12:04 PM
Oh no, poor little guy, I hope he recovers quickly! Is he at least on some kind of pain meds?