-->

New Pet Bylaw Passed In Halifax

Riluke
October 24th, 2007, 11:01 AM
http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Front/974081.html

Let the fun begin!

Love4himies
October 24th, 2007, 12:02 PM
What are they going to do with the feral cats who don't have owners to register them, euthanize them?

ancientgirl
October 24th, 2007, 12:03 PM
I get the feeling this is going to encourage the euthanasia of many cats.

CyberKitten
October 25th, 2007, 05:43 PM
I am a Haligonian whop persuaded my rep to vote against this measure- we do not feel good about it at all. I suspect it will end up in too many cats rounded up and killed because there is no new facility to house cats nor the resources needed if the plan would actually work, sigh! Many Rescues are opposed to it but this is what the SPCA said in Today's Herald: (I also think it may aid cat haters and neioghbours who thin consider them a "problem" to trap them and bring them to the SPCA, sighhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! Another excellent reason to make sure cats in Halifax (or HRM as we call it) stay INSIDE where they are safe, warm and away fro m people who may do them harm!!!!!

Thu. Oct 25 - 6:04 AM

The Nova Scotia SPCA’s metro shelter welcomes a plan to have a larger, state-of-the-art facility built in Halifax Regional Municipality to accommodate an expected influx of strays and unclaimed cats because of the city’s new cat bylaw.

But at the same time, the agency is concerned about people being able to trap cats on their property.

"The SPCA’s concern is the education and monitoring of how this trapping will take place, as cats must not be left unattended in cages," the agency said in a news release Wednesday.

Such action, the SPCA said, would constitute animal cruelty under the law. There is also a concern of "pitting neighbour against neighbour."

"At our current shelter facility, we have already experienced this and we have found these situations can be very volatile."

The shelter has been assisting with the city’s stray cat problem since 1991 by offering shelter and adoption for cats brought to its Dartmouth facility. The shelter’s adoption rate is about 80 per cent.

The shelter helps with about 2,500 animals a year, 75 per cent of which are cats.

On Tuesday night, council approved a new bylaw that will put mandatory cat licensing in place by April 1. Bylaw A-300 also bars any dog or cat from running at large, damaging property or attacking another person or animal.

Several councillors have said they do not want to spend millions to build a shelter and hire officers to enforce the bylaw.

Mom_Of_Two_Dogs
October 26th, 2007, 01:52 PM
I hope this encourages people to keep their cats inside, have them spayed/neutered, licensed and microchipped . . .