- Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 


14 year old mutt with fever

October 23rd, 2007, 11:07 PM
Hi, I'm a complete newbie here, but I joined because I have a worrisome problem. My 14 year old dog threw up 2x today, started trembling and panting, and didn't want to move around. I took her to a vet around 6, who said it was likely some virus or bacterial infection, and gave her an antibiotic under the skin and prescribed baytril. At that point, her temp was 104.5. It is now 11 pm, she has thrown up once, and her temp is at 104.9. Is it too soon for the antibiotic to be kicking in? At what point does a fever become dangerous in dogs? She is breathing a little heavy, but not panting. The trembling has tapered off since I covered her with a blanket.
I assume if the temp gets too high, I'll want to take her to the E-vet. I'd just like to know what "too high" is.

Thanks in advance

October 24th, 2007, 12:38 AM
I hope you're at the emergency vet now....104.9 is dangerously high. The vet you went to already should have run some tests when her temp was at 104.5 instead of just giving antiobiotics. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

October 24th, 2007, 12:53 AM
I did run her to the E-vet, and in the short time it took, her fever spiked to 105.8, so they hospitalized her. They're gonna run lots of IV, and load her up on antibiotics. They're also gonna run some tests to try and find out why she got so sick all of the sudden.

October 24th, 2007, 01:17 AM
Thanks for the update. I guess you won't be sleeping too well tonight. :grouphug: I hope it isn't anything too serious....sending lots of good wishes your way. :pray: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

October 24th, 2007, 04:51 AM
:grouphug: to you and :goodvibes:to her. It's a scary thing when we know they're sick but we don't why. How is she today?

October 24th, 2007, 02:36 PM
her temp was down this AM to 103.4 when I picked her up from the E-vet, and transferred her to our normal vet for continuing care. She was still extremely lethargic and weak. None of her tests are showing anything, so the vet is guessing a tricky infection, or pancreatitis. We may be taking her back to the E-vet tonight.

Thank you for all the thoughts and encouragement

October 24th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Is it possible that she got into something poisonous? Plants? Food? Antifreeze?

Hope they find some answers soon. :grouphug: :fingerscr :goodvibes: :goodvibes:

October 24th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Has your dog been exposed to ticks lately? You don't list a location, but the ticks are bad around here. And in the early stages of some tick-borne diseases, fever can spike without the WBC, RBC or platelets being out of whack yet. :shrug:

I hope the antibiotics are working tonight! :fingerscr

October 25th, 2007, 11:05 AM
We have a diagnosis! She has pancreatitis. The test for it came back this morning. Her fever has continued to drop, and this morning, her temperature was perfectly normal. She is still vomiting and lethargic, but the vet said that if she does okay today, she can come home tonight!

October 25th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Great news! Well, not that she's sick, but that you got a diagnosis! :grouphug: Did she get to come home tonight? :fingerscr

October 26th, 2007, 10:11 AM
Wow that is great news! Is it easy to treat Pancreatitis?

October 26th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Glad you got a diagnosis and her fever is down. How is she doing today? Is it acute or chronic pancreatitis?

October 28th, 2007, 06:47 PM
We euthanized Midnight yesterday morning when she went into organ failure. Thank you all for your help.

October 28th, 2007, 07:36 PM
I am so sorry your Midnight didn't make it, you must be heartbroken. At least you were there at the end, telling her she was loved and that it was OK to go to the bridge. As hard as it is, try to remember her 14 happy years rather than focusing on the last few days.
:rip: Midnight, faithful friend.

October 28th, 2007, 08:46 PM
:rip: sweet Midnight :dog: :candle: