Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

What's the law in Quebec?

coppperbelle
October 23rd, 2007, 07:20 PM
I received a call today from someone who is concerned about a neighbor's dog. She feels the dog is not being cared for adequately. The dog is left out in all kinds of weather and has no shelter. A few weeks ago she suspects the dog was left alone outside for the weekend.
There is food and water, she thinks, but no shelter.

The dog is older so she fears if it is taken away from this family it will be euthanized as it is not a candidate for adoption.

What is the law here in Quebec? Does a dog need a dog house at this time of year?

Frenchy
October 23rd, 2007, 07:30 PM
I believe they HAVE to have water , food and SHELTER , on all time.

luckypenny
October 23rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
This is about the most detailed information I was able to find online, which is not very much I must add.

http://www.animaquebec.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=16&Itemid=6

I suppose this situation could fall under article 55.9.2 -4. 55.9.2 -2 could also be applied.

I'm assuming evidence must be gathered (as we all know inspection resources are extremely limited here in Quebec) in order for a complaint to be acted upon.

luckypenny
October 23rd, 2007, 08:01 PM
I found the English translation here regarding provincial legislation.

http://canadianveterinarians.net/animal-abuse-reporting-provincial.aspx

55.9.2. The owner or custodian of an animal shall ensure that the safety and welfare of the animal is not jeopardized. The safety and welfare of an animal is jeopardized where
1) the animal does not have access to drinking water or food in quantities and of a quality in keeping with the biological requirements of its species;
2) the animal is not kept in suitable, salubrious living conditions or is not properly transported in an appropriate vehicle;
3) the animal is wounded or sick and does not receive the health care required by its state;
4) the animal is subject to abuse or ill-treatment that may affect its health;
5) subject to paragraphs 1 to 4, the animal is kept or transported in contravention of the regulatory standards established pursuant to section 55.9.14.1.
1993, c. 18, s. 6; 2000, c. 40, s. 29.
55.9.3. Every owner or custodian of animals kept for the purpose of sale or breeding shall, in addition to complying with the provisions of section 55.9.2, ensure that the premises in which the animals are kept are clean.
Installations.
He shall also ensure that the installations are not organized or used in any way that may affect the safety and welfare of the animals.
1993, c. 18, s. 6

coppperbelle
October 23rd, 2007, 08:50 PM
the animal is not kept in suitable, salubrious living conditions or is not properly transported in an appropriate vehicle;

thanks Luckypenny. I wonder what they mean by suitable. Does it mean they must have shelter? Very vague and can be intrpeted to mean different things.

Frenchy
October 23rd, 2007, 09:06 PM
Yes they must have a shelter !

luckypenny
October 23rd, 2007, 09:28 PM
... I wonder what they mean by suitable. Does it mean they must have shelter? Very vague and can be intrpeted to mean different things.

Yes, it doesn't really contain specifics. Shelter is a must but what exactly do they mean by shelter? A doghouse? A cardboard box? Under a balcony? You're right, it can be interpreted to mean many different things.

I think I would first start by calling the municipality for more info and bylaws regarding companion animals. The local police department may be another place to contact (at the risk of sounding a little pessimistic, I really don't think they'll be of much help but who knows). Many Universities also have free legal advice clinics; I'm wondering if there may be someone available to answer such questions concerning owner's responsibilities.

CearaQC
October 29th, 2007, 03:33 PM
An eerily similar situation is going on where I live also, but it's two dogs. One female and one of her pups. I've seen one (not sure which since they weren't together) and it is always outside and just lays down on the front porch and doesn't seem to get any mental stimulation whatsoever. It's a sad situation and apparently been going on for some time.