Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hello, and I have a problem

ldure
October 23rd, 2007, 05:25 PM
Thanks for having this site. I hope you can help me.

We have two dogs, mixed breed, that we rescued. They are crated in the basement at night. Carly has on occasion had some barking at night, but she usually gets over it in one or two days without problem. The last time was some months ago.

The other dog, Rex, is the issue now. Both dogs go into their crates without problem. However, within an hour after lights out, Rex will begin whimpering and barking sporadically. We have gotten used to letting Carly do this until she falls asleep, but Rex will continue with this off and on all night. He has never done this before, and we have had him for over 2 years. He sounds distressed, but he doesn't need to go to the bathroom, and wouldn't even quiet down with a rawhide bone.

I'm stumped. Both dogs have recently had checkups with the vet. There has been no change in their bedding, routine, etc. Both dogs are neutered. Rex is a really friendly, puppyish mutt, and this is so out of character.

I hope someone has some ideas.

Thanks,

Leon Dure
Birmingham, Alabama

Trapper
October 23rd, 2007, 06:53 PM
I would try putting the crate in the bedroom with you at first. Then move it outside the bedroom. Each time he is quiet for the whole night, move him a bit further away. Either that, or let him under the covers with you... ;)

t.pettet
October 23rd, 2007, 09:47 PM
Caged in a basement overnight is no place for a dog, which is what Rex is attempting to convey to you.

Angelfire
October 24th, 2007, 12:17 AM
Maybe he feels like he can't protect the house if he is in the crate. Since he has been crated for 2 yrs maybe try letting him run loose in the basement instead and see how that works but leave the crate door open. Just a thought.