Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Old dog, renal problems

canadiangirl
May 27th, 2004, 09:32 AM
Hi all,

Well, you may remember I took my husky to the vet on Saturday and we got the results of his geriatric blood test back yesterday. He has some renal (kidney) problems that the vet thinks is just do to old age (he is almost 13, but still acts sometimes like a three year old goof :D ). The vet mentioned putting him on an all seniors diet. He is currently on regualr canned food and a senior dry food. I hesitate to change his diet because his stomach seems so sensitive. Anyone have a good suggestions for some nice senior canned food that is not likely to make him queasy?? I didn't get a chance to speak to the vet myself and she isn't in again until Saturday. The results sound like its all just old age related, so that was a bit of a relief.
Thanks!
PS - thanks for the advice from everyone about the dog brushes - am headed out today to buy a better slicker/stripper brush to get the big tuffs of fur out! And, am meeting with a lovely woman tonight who will be taking care of our cat while we are gone!

Luba
May 27th, 2004, 10:04 AM
Be careful brushing your senior, can be very sensitive and sore in certain areas. Do in intervals of 5mins at a time and reward him for good behaviour.

I'm a fan of home cooking for my dog now. Have you ever tried it?
Would you like to?

Kona Dawg
May 27th, 2004, 06:57 PM
The #1 trick for switching foods is do it over a course of a week or two so that your dog has time to adjust to them. gradually add more of the new food and less of the old, the dog will not notice a drastic difference this way. As for a good seniour food any reputable brand should be fine, one thing to look for is a low acid one though as your dog has a sensitive stomach.