Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

older bernese poop problem!

massimohoward
October 23rd, 2007, 01:21 PM
hi everyone. our berner is sweet as pie, and is getting old by breed standards (he'll be 6 next month). he has started having poop accidents in the house, and it's been going on for over 2 months, off and on. sometimes it's normal poop, sometimes, it's messy poop.

it started happening at night, as if he couldn't make it to the morning anymore.

the kicker was this weekend when we took him to get a bath, and afterwards, he pooped all over our (cloth interior) car. messy, stinky poop. a real problem. a $200 interior detailing of the car problem. :yuck:

he spends plenty of time outside and is always encouraged to poop and is praised when he does.

we've had him checked out recently and he seems to be the picture of good health. he's always had a sensitive stomach, but we don't change his food and we don't give him table scraps.

what could be causing this? is he sick or is it behavioral?

could he have alzheimer's and not remember he was just outside and was supposed to poop there? could he have an incontinency problem because of age? could he have some kind of cancer that's causing the problem (cancer rate is high in the breed)?

any insights or help is greatly appreciated. we love our boy but this is getting to be too much (we also have two young daughters).

thanks! :fingerscr

sugarcatmom
October 23rd, 2007, 02:11 PM
I wonder if he's developed an intolerance to his food (can happen, even after having been on it for a while). What are you feeding him?

massimohoward
October 23rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
we have been giving him grammy's pot pie by merrick. he really digs into it and loves it. sometimes when we run out, we've supplemented with purina one (the natural kind). always with chicken and rice or some similar combination. he's always been picky but he seems to really like this kind. his tail even wags when he's eating!

what could i give him instead to see if it makes a difference?

kiara
October 23rd, 2007, 06:07 PM
We are not vets. Is Grammys pot pie made especially for dogs? or is it human food you are giving him? I know that pies of this kind are full of fat and salt, if your dog is getting older I don't know if this food is good for him. Maybe he needs geriatric food for sensitive stomachs? If he was given a clean bill of health, then maybe it is something emotional, or an early stage of doggy alzheimer's? Since your vet cannot figure it out, you should go for another opinion with his file. Because you have young children, it is not very hygienic for your family, let alone all the cleaning. Let us know what happened.

badger
October 23rd, 2007, 06:13 PM
I think this is something he absolutely cannot help, in other words, physical. Was he checked for parasites?

massimohoward
October 23rd, 2007, 06:19 PM
we've done poop cultures and tests before....

grammy's pot pie is just the name of the dog food. it's all natural, very good for dogs and has extras (like glucosamine) in it for older dogs to help with joints, etc. we love our boy and would never feed him a human pot pie! the mess that would create...?!? :yuck:

he's such a good boy i can't imagine it's behavioral. i think it's off to a new vet we go for more tests.

he may just be getting older, this breed's life span is only 6-7 years and i think i mentioned he's turning 6 in november... :cry:

thanks all -- any more insights are welcome!

sugarcatmom
October 23rd, 2007, 06:29 PM
Is Grammys pot pie made especially for dogs? or is it human food you are giving him? I know that pies of this kind are full of fat and salt, if your dog is getting older I don't know if this food is good for him.

Grammy's Pot Pie (http://www.merrickpetcare.com/store/detail.php?c=14&s=20268) is dog food made by Merrick.

what could i give him instead to see if it makes a difference?

In the case of allergies, the usual protocol is to feed an elimination diet consisting of one novelty protein and one novelty carb that the dog hasn't had before, such as "venison and pea", or "duck and potato". Allergies usually manifest as skin problems like itchiness, while an intolerance would tend to cause diarrhea, but trying an elimination diet works for both.

You could also try probiotics to boost his intestinal flora, perhaps they're out of whack from something.

At his last check-up, did he have blood work done? Might be time to go for another exam, sometimes things can show up rather quickly.