Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi...I'm new here

DoeZ
October 23rd, 2007, 10:56 AM
Hello all...

I am new here and so far glad I found this site. Let me start by telling you that I love all animals. We live out in the country and have had them all. We've had horses...goats...chickens for show...rabbits...and of course dogs and cats. As time went by and we got older and the kids got older it was just my DH doing all the work so we're down to just 1 dog named lily and 2 cats that are old but not old...lol...they're somewhere around 15 & 13 yrs. old and then there's Charles...he's about 3 mo. old and my DD brought him home as she was driving by and saw the sign "Free Kittens". He is adorable and we have taken him to the vet and he has gotten his shots and deworming etc...we had a problem in the beginning with his stool being runny...the vet put him on 2 different pills and I think he's doing fine now. My concern is that as he is a little thing and I know he likes to play and all...its just that my 1 cat Taffy is getting a little pissed off at him cuz he jumps at him and bites him to where he clings on to him...Taffy growls and hisses and sometimes attacks him back.:frustrated:..but he sits on him and I get scared he's gonna hurt the little one. How do I get this little one to stop biting the other cats and dog? Also...now that we have 3 cats I'm finding that 1 of them is leaving little gifts around the house.:censored:..I know it's Taffy cuz the other cat doesn't come out past the kitchen...she's afraid of everything and everyone...I'm assuming he's doing this because the new kitty is using "his" litter box also...they all eat out of the same dish and all so why is he being like this and what can I do to stop him from leaving us little turds everywhere? Thanks so very much for any help/advice you can give me. (Oh and by the way...the picture you see is my Benjamin...he was my 4 yr. old Boxer...beautiful and very loving...he was murdered by a speeding driver that never stopped.:rip:)

badger
October 23rd, 2007, 11:19 AM
I have a similar situation, several older (but not as old as yours) cats and a young, energetic one. He went through the routine with each of them (still does, but less), attacking them from behind, being rebuffed, then coming back, being rebuffed again. Sometimes they'll give him a little wrassle but if I hear too much crying I'll roar NO or if necessary separate them. I do not scold either one.

It's not true that cats can't learn. If he is being a complete pest, shout 'NO!!' and break them up if necessary. But it's a fine line, because this is also a learning situation for the kitten, he is being shown limits. Just use your intuition.

But because your cats are older and one at least is upset enough to abandon the litter box, special measures should be taken. I wouldn't leave them unsupervised. If you go out, it might be a good idea to separate them from the young'un. I would also separate them at night, with their own litterbox and some food. Make sure they get their daily dose of attention.

Also, play the bejessus out of the kitten, laser tag, crinkle balls, fishing lines, toys he can play with alone (the plastic donut is a good one), whatever drains that crazy energy.

Oh yes, and welcome to the board. We would love to see pictures of your critters.

DoeZ
October 23rd, 2007, 12:04 PM
Thank You...I thought I put a picture of my Benjamin on here but it didn't come out...so I'll have to wait for my DD to get home and show me what I did wrong...but I will add them all.

For the most part...they sleep together fine...they each have a chair they like and leave each other alone...its just when the little one wants to play he just gets too agressive and that makes Taffy really mad...he'll attack the dog...Lily but she just plays back...

Do you think I should get another litter box down there and just leave them side by side? They all are doing their thing in the box but I think Taffy gets mad for some reason and leaves piles somewhere in the house...this is why I was thinking if I out another litter box down there he'll maybe feel better about it...:shrug:

We do show all the animals equal love...my dog really has to be the center of it all...but we do make sure they all get the same amount of hugs n kisses...

I'll try to add more pix...Thanks again for the help/advice;)

Winston
October 23rd, 2007, 12:16 PM
I have 2 cats and 3 litter boxes!~ They use all 3 and seem to be happy with the setup!

Good Luck

Cindy

P.S Welcome to pets.ca!!

DoeZ
October 23rd, 2007, 07:48 PM
I have 2 cats and 3 litter boxes!~ They use all 3 and seem to be happy with the setup!!!

So do you think I should put another litter box down there for them? And should I put them next to each other?