Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

A Bee Sting or more?

LeeAnn
October 23rd, 2007, 08:11 AM
Hi, This is my first post as a new member. I am the mom of a 10 month old Golden Retriever named Riley.

On Monday, 10-15, Riley woke up with one eye swollen shut. I took him to our vet and she advised it was a bee sting. She gave him a shot of benadryl and prescribed 2 pills 2 x day for 5 days. This greatly helpled the swelling, but only to the point of about the eye being half open. Yesterday, 10-22, the eyebrow area is still very red and somewhat swollen and the eye is half open. However, the eyebrow area is very hard and feels almost as though there is a lump or cyst. The other eye is not like this (the hardness).

We took him back to vet yesterday and she just gave him another shot and more benadryl pills - 2 pills 3 x per day.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether this is normal - should it be taking so long to heal from a bee sting and what about the hard lump in the area?

We are just concerned that perhaps the lump has always been there and because of the sting it was found and we should be looking into it more.

Thanks

LeeAnn:dog:

shredy
October 23rd, 2007, 12:27 PM
Welcome, All my experiences with bee stings were that the swelling cleared up very quickly (1-2 days tops). It seems like 7 days is more than enough time for the swelling to reside. I am not sure if it was a lump present before the bee sting, but another possibility is a secondary infection due to the redness and persistent swelling. Have you voiced your concern to your vet? What was the response? Its hard for us to say what the problem is because we cannot see your pup. Has your vet done an eye exam or discussed other possibilities with you? I think you need to call your vet and tell him/her about your concerns. :fingerscr Oh, and we would love to have some pictures of Riley when you have some time!

rainbow
October 23rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
I agree with Shredy. The swelling from a bee sting should go down soon after the Benadryl injection. I would either tell your vet your concerns or go to another for a second opinion. Good luck and please keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Ford Girl
October 23rd, 2007, 01:40 PM
I agree, should be cleared up unless it's infected. Did your vet examin the eye the first time, are they sure there is nothing in there? Dazy got stung by a bee and it took about 24 hours to go away, on her eye too, so it sounds the same as your issue, but it went away. I'd go back or go to another vet.

Pictures please!!!! :cloud9: We are golden fans here...:lovestruck:

white wrabbit
October 23rd, 2007, 01:40 PM
is it at all possible the stinger is still there? if it is a bee sting.. that was the first thing i thought of. is he rubbing it with his paws at all and irritating it?. and a second opinion never hurts at all..

LeeAnn
October 23rd, 2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks everyone. We thought we got what might have been a stinger out, but I cannot be 100% sure. Both my husband and I just don't feel right, but don't want to discount our vet, whom we have known for years. I think I will do both - call and talk to her and probably get a second opinion. Thanks again and I will pull some pics of our sweet boy soon. This is our second golden. Our first love, Princess was with us for 13 years and passed almost 4 years ago. She was known as Princess, the amazing wonder dog! Riley is working his way to wonder dog status too of course! Thanks again - this is a great forum!

rainbow
October 23rd, 2007, 02:10 PM
If the stinger wasn't pulled "straight" out it could break off and leave a portion behind. This is quite possibly what is causing the problem and would discuss that with your vet. Good luck and let us know. :fingerscr

Sorry to hear about Princess :grouphug: :candle: Looking forward to pics of Riley. :thumbs up

hazelrunpack
October 23rd, 2007, 03:16 PM
Welcome to the board, LeeAnn! I hope you get Riley's problem resolved soon. :fingerscr

Meanwhile, I'm looking forward to those pics of Riley! :thumbs up And don't forget to throw in a few of Princess the Amazing Wonder Dog, too! It sounds like she's left you with a heart full of happy memories!

:candle: Princess

shredy
October 24th, 2007, 11:06 PM
Any updates on Riley, how is her poor little swollen eye? Hopefully you were able to figure something out with the vet. :goodvibes::goodvibes: