Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Frothy bile...?

gomez
October 22nd, 2007, 06:48 PM
For the past week Gomez has been puking up a bit of frothy bile in the morning - it's only every other day, like clockwork -

Took him to the vet on Sunday and he is just fine in general - she suggested boiled chicken for a few days, it's been 2 days of boiled chicken now...

He usually eats Eagle Pack Holistic twice a day, but since this started I have been giving him another little snack just before bed, so he's not on an empty stomach...

This morning, again with the bile...

His poos are darker than usual also...

What else to do? :shrug:

rainbow
October 22nd, 2007, 06:50 PM
Did you tell the vet about his poo? Did the vet do any bloodwork?

gomez
October 22nd, 2007, 06:56 PM
As "luck" would have it, he poo'd just outside the vet's office, so I took it in for her - she said it looked fine, did not run blood or any other tests yet... she siad if it goes on for longer she might...

mummummum
October 22nd, 2007, 08:12 PM
This might seem like a whacky question but how is the water quality in your house/ what you are giving him and is he taking in alot of sea water or pool water when he goes swimming ?

gomez
October 22nd, 2007, 08:20 PM
Yes, the water at home is filtered, comes out of a little tap on the edge of the sink...

And he does take in some salt water when he swims in the harbour - I had thought about that also, but isn't it weird that he only brings up this foam early in the morning and only every other day?

He's such a strange lil'dude...

mummummum
October 22nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
Sorry, I guess I should have been more specific. Have you had your water tested since your moved in?

I'm not really sure what to think of his throwing up bile every other day.

It may be a tolerance thing. He has too much sea water in system or too much chlorine or the chlorine in his system has killed enough of the bug leftover in the filtered water for a day or two...

gomez
October 22nd, 2007, 08:56 PM
We haven't had the water tested, I may do that this week, just to check...

As for the sea water, I haven't let him swim since his first "frothing" last Wednesday, although it's entirely possible something is lurking in his little body...

geisha
October 22nd, 2007, 09:43 PM
Both Rose & Geisha were briefly on Eagle Pack Holistic Select Fish and they both vomitted yellow frothy bile X 2. The water was Brita filtered and no one else was sick. I discontinued the kibble thinking they couldn't tolerate it. They are fine now. However I haven't tried Eagle Pack since the incident. They've also vomitted on Nutro Lamb & Rice.
Others have mentioned that a dog may vomit yellow bile when they're stomach is empty. I guess that is why you gave Gomez a bedtime snack. :shrug: