Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Dog started pooping in the house

ryangarrett2
October 22nd, 2007, 06:45 PM
Hey everyone, I am new to this forum, and I have a problem with my American bulldog that jsut started last thurs. She has deceided that she wants to poop in the house. This is not a normal behavior for Fiona. She has always been a house dog, and lets us know when she needs to go outside. I am very frustrated and confused as to why shre has started this bad habit. Her eating habits seems to be normal and nothing has really changed in our household. Could someone give me some advice. Help!!!

Michelle

allymack
October 22nd, 2007, 06:59 PM
is she on an eating schedule? and if she is, have you changed her eating schedule? if she isnt on i would i would definately reccomend putting her on one and taking her out a while after she has eaten, and when she does poop outside, praise her like crazy, or maybe toss her a bal fo a few mins of play. hope this helps:)

ryangarrett2
October 22nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
The only thing that I can think of is, I have given her another bowl of food at night. And she just has alway been a free feed dog. Never had these problems. She is on Costco dog food, Lamb and rice. I was told that maybe I should put her on something that bulks her stool up. Her stool did seem loose, not runny, but not formed. Do you have any suggestions on maybe possibly changing her food. LIke I said she has always let someone know in the house when she has to go out side. Last night she did poop in the house for the second time, not sure if it had anything to do with the 80mph winds we had and maybe she was jsut to afraid to go outside. Thanks for the advice.

allymack
October 22nd, 2007, 07:45 PM
i would suggest not letting her have free feeding, as this way you can monitor how much she eats and when she eats. and also if you get home later then usual you wont come home to find any poop on the floor or if you have to leave earlier then normal it works out. I would change her food to bulken up her stool, but i dont think that will affect where she poops. if you catch her in the act walk over to her quickly and take her outside right away, and when you clean up the bit of mess she did make, totally ignore her. and make sure to clean the spot with a solution of water and vinegar. i would suggest cleaning any and all the floors with this solution just incase the scent is still there, this will get rid of it. good luck :)