Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Question-steatitis diagnosis of vomiting kitty?

mushi
October 22nd, 2007, 06:12 PM
My 5yr old dom med hair Mushi just went through a horrible round of vomiting and an extended stay at the vets (with all the tests and an unnecessary exploratory surgery :mad:). The doctor made an error on an ultrasound and thought that he say a piece of string in her intestine so he had to opererate but it turned out there was nothing (a lovely $2000 mistake-along with all the stress for my poor kitty). He said that he saw some "fatty tissue" in her abdomen and from that came up with a diagnosis of steatitis or "yellow fat disease". We were quite upset with him and now I wonder if he is just grasping at straws to cover his own mistakes.

Now my question is that, after reading up on the condition, I see that it results mainly from cats who eat too much fish (especially tuna) and end up with a Vitamin E deficiency. However, I almost never give my cat fish. I have never given her tuna- she actually doesn't like it. She mainly eats dry food (which has VitE) with wet food on occaision (chicken or beef mainly).

Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of a cat getting steatitis in any other ways and having the main symptom being major vomiting. If it is true that she does have this I just want to know what I can do to prevent it from happening again.

Thanks and sorry for the long post.

Love4himies
October 23rd, 2007, 08:31 AM
Here are the symptoms of steatitis. It does not mention vomiting, but I guess if you cat is in pain it could. Does your cat have any of these or is it just vomiting:

Greasy, dull coat & flaky skin.
Severe pain when touched.
Anorexia (loss of appetite).
Fever.
Reluctance to move.