Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Ivermectin Toxicosis

Mientcat
October 22nd, 2007, 03:29 PM
My four month old great dane puppy managed to get into a 7.3 gram tube of 1.87% equine ivermectin paste. I didn't realize it, or know that anything was wrong until the next morning. She was completely blind, her pupils fully dilated and non-responsive to light, was having tremors and loss of coordination. She is now at the Ohio State University Veterinary Hospital, which is 3 1/2 hours from me, and has been there since yesterday afternoon. They gave her some activated charcoal, and are now giving her IV fluids. Today they said she seems a bit better and steadier on her feet, she has eaten, and has been acting very much like a puppy. Except, she still has not regained her vision. They told me that they expect it will take 2 to 10 days for her eyes to fully resolve, and they are confident she is going to make a full recovery. I, on the other hand, am not feeling as confident (I guess because I feel SO guilty that I didn't realize it when this happened!) and I'm looking for some reassurance that she will indeed regain her eyesight and her full coordination with no long term effects. She is my newest show hopeful great dane, and I'd be perfectly fine if she never saw a show ring a day in her life, as long as she's going to be ok. Any thoughts or experiences with this type of toxicity?

breeze
October 22nd, 2007, 03:36 PM
what is.........1.87% equine ivermectin paste

Mientcat
October 22nd, 2007, 03:38 PM
It is a wormer used for horses.

luckypenny
October 22nd, 2007, 04:27 PM
According to what I've read, it seems your vet has done everything right :thumbs up .

Just one of the sites I've found with detailed info on ivermectin: http://www.drugs.com/MMX/Ivermectin.html

You may also want to call a Poison Control Center for more info. re. long-term effects of overdose. In Ohio...

Central Ohio Poison Center
700 Children's Drive, Room L032
Columbus, OH 43205
Emergency Phone: (800) 682-7625 (OH only);
(800) 762-0727 (Dayton, OH only)
TTY/TDD: (614) 228-2272

Cincinnati Drug & Poison Information Center
Regional Poison Control System
3333 Burnet Avenue
Vernon Place - 3rd Floor
Cincinnati, OH 45229
Emergency Phone: (800) 872-5111 (OH only);
(513) 558-5111

Greater Cleveland Poison Control Center
11100 Euclid Avenue
Cleveland, OH 44106-6010
Emergency Phone: (888) 231-4455 (OH only);
(216) 231-4455

:fingerscr that your pup recovers really quick.