Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

20 year old indoor cat question

mookie3127
October 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
I took my 20 year old indoor cat to the vet this morning after waking up to her "spread eagle" behind the couch crying out loud. I tried picking her up and she almost appeared to flop around like a dead fish would....almost like a she was having a seizure. She also could not walk and would fall right back to her stomach and spread eagle position. Of course as a 20 year old cat, she's lead a long life and has gotten a little slower in her old age, but she hasn't really shown any signs of "it being her time to go" until this morning Any ideas until I hear back from the vet?? He'd happen to be at lunch when I called. Any information would be very helpful.

krdahmer
October 22nd, 2007, 02:08 PM
I will pray for your kittie and hope it isn't her time yet. :pray:

Other than that, it does sound to me like some sort of seizure, or is it possible she could have fallen off something and that was the only position that didn't hurt? Let us know what the vet says.:grouphug:

rainbow
October 22nd, 2007, 02:09 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your cat. :sad: Senior cats can have so many things go wrong and they usually hide their symptoms so well. Did she have a blood panel or urinalysis done at her last vet checkup that showed any concerns? I really don't have any idea as it could be so many things. It does sound pretty serious though. :grouphug: I hope you get a call from your vet with some optimistic news soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

mookie3127
October 22nd, 2007, 02:17 PM
i don't think she's fallen from anything. over the past 4 or 5 years, she's quite jumping up on the couch or bed or anything else for that matter...just old age catching up to her. my parents and i have used the same vet for about 25 years, so i would imagine that if he noticed anything at her last check up that he'd point it out. i do know that she is almost deaf if not completely deaf now....that's happened within the past year or so.

mookie3127
October 22nd, 2007, 04:28 PM
Just talked to the vet and he had originally thought it might be kidney failure based on what he had seen. after doing some urine and blood tests, everything came back really good. he did do some mobility tests on her back legs and said she seemed to be in some discomfort but that the muscle tension seemed to be fine and was very comfortable with arthritis being the primary cause. he gave her a type of steroid shot that also relieves the pain, so i'm guessing it's the equivalent to a cortisone shot for humans. so far so good! :thumbs up

rainbow
October 22nd, 2007, 04:40 PM
YAY...that is optimistic news. :highfive: Is she using her legs now? Is she still at the vet or do you have her home? :cat:

krdahmer
October 22nd, 2007, 05:31 PM
thats great news.... :grouphug: Hopefully the shot will be all she needs.:pray:

Love4himies
October 22nd, 2007, 07:19 PM
Glad to hear things are going to be ok. Do you have any pictures post?

mookie3127
October 22nd, 2007, 11:05 PM
YAY...that is optimistic news. :highfive: Is she using her legs now? Is she still at the vet or do you have her home? :cat:

i was able to bring her home tonight and man it looks like she had some good catnip!! when she first walked out f the pet carrier, she was literally leaning up against walls to walk...lol. looked as if they left a bottle of jack daniels out for her:laughing: but she's out here laying in the den right now. and here's a pic of her.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v93/mookie6927/Tabby.jpg

rjesak
October 23rd, 2007, 03:21 PM
Oh she is just the prettiest thing isn't she?! :goodvibes: I'm glad you have her home where she'll be less stressed and can get all the loving she needs.

Jim Hall
October 23rd, 2007, 03:46 PM
how'she doing?

krdahmer
October 23rd, 2007, 05:39 PM
Oh she's beautiful... I love all that caramel colour!! Glad she is home with you and feeling better.

rainbow
October 24th, 2007, 02:01 AM
How is your pretty girl doing? :fingerscr :goodvibes:

Love4himies
October 24th, 2007, 07:09 AM
Her colours are beautiful. Do you have an update for us?

mookie3127
October 24th, 2007, 03:20 PM
she seems to be doing much better. she was very groggy when i brought her home monday and even a little groggy yesterday morning. she seemed to be walking around a lot better last night than she had weeks before, so maybe one of those shots once every now and then is all she needs. of course, that's the vets call.:thumbs up

rainbow
October 24th, 2007, 03:32 PM
Glad to hear she's doing well. :highfive: Hope she continues to improve so you can spend a few more years with her. :cloud9: :fingerscr :goodvibes:

growler~GateKeeper
October 25th, 2007, 12:10 AM
:thumbs up Happy to hear she is doing good :goodvibes::fingerscr for continued improvement

beckiandthetrio
October 25th, 2007, 10:04 AM
Yeah!!! Im so happy she is going good, and she is beautiful by the way!!

roccoisus
October 26th, 2007, 10:10 AM
20 years wow What a cutie too So glad she is back home with you :grouphug: