Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Stinky bum licker!

Skitzy the Cat
October 22nd, 2007, 11:40 AM
I just recently adopted a 1 1/2 year old corgi-beagle cross and I just had her to the vet b/c she kept licking her bum at night time in bed and it smelled something awful. Both my husband and I think it smells like blood but we don't see any. She doesn't seem in pain but once she starts licking it stinks!! AT the vets they expressed her glands and they were quite full, they also tested her urine b/c she seemed to be peeing a lot. They found she had a mild ut infection and have put her on 10 days worth of clavamox. She doen't seem to be peeing as much and for about 5 days after her glands were expressed she did not lick or stink. But she has started up again this past weekend. Aparently she came from a 'puppy mill' in ohio and they had her have a litter of pups when she was only about 9-10 months old. She was spayed before I got her and I am also wondering if she could have infection or worms or .....I don't know!!
Anybody have any suggestion? She is the first female dog I have owned, so I am unfamilar with what to look for......

Winston
October 22nd, 2007, 12:00 PM
Thank you for adopting a puppy mill doggie! Yep what you described is anal glands...They can be really stinky! I have had my dogs expressed only once so far! When they lick or scoot on the grass it is their way of trying to make them express...They express naturally with their bowl movements BUT not always...Diet is a big factor! What are you feeding...If the stools are too soft then the glands dont release well...A vet can teach you how to do them yourself but from what I understand you have to be careful not to rupture them and besides it is not a pleasant experience! too stinky for me!

Hopefully she will not have any re ocurrances! You could try putting some ice cubes in her water to make it a bit colder and sometimes the doggies like the ice cubes...anything to make them drink more water!

It is so sad that they are making these babies have babies themselves! Anything to make a buck ot two eh?

Best of Luck
Cindy

rainbow
October 22nd, 2007, 12:34 PM
What a sad history your poor girl has had :sad: ....a baby having babies herself. :eek: Thank you for adopting her and giving her the life she deserves. :thumbs up :angel:

When anal glands do not release properly the bacteria builds up which causes lots of problems including an abcess. You can have the secretions cultured to get rid of a bacterial infection.

Also, cheaper dog foods that are available at the supermarkets and places like Walmart, etc. are full of cereal fillers that produce a softer stool. A firmer stool is needed to help push against the anal glands so they release better.

Diet plays a big role in anal gland health. If you let us know what you are feeding her we will be able to offer more advise. :pawprint:

Skitzy the Cat
October 22nd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Thank you so much for the advice. I feed her Eukanuba for medium sized dogs. What do you guys think of this food? She also loves these Alpo Chew-zees. I give her one a day. The thing that is puzzling me is that she doesn't scoot. Her poo seems fairly solid and has a medium brown color. I will try that ice cube idea tonight! Would the fact that she had puppies so young caused her not to grow properly or something?

Winston
October 22nd, 2007, 02:11 PM
Well I am not sure about her being young...but how about trying a good food change with her...I am using Orijen..It is a fairly new product on the market..It is Canadian from BC..and my boy loves it....it has made a world of difference by knowing what goes into dog food...There is alot you can research on this site but if want a food that most dogs seem to love try the Orijen...fish formula...I buy mine at Ryans in Ontario.

Cindy

rainbow
October 22nd, 2007, 02:55 PM
As sad as it was, I don't think having puppies that young is causing her anal gland problem. I'm not a very big fan of Eukanuba. Compare their ingredients to those of Orijen (www.championpetfoods.com). It is a great food and most dogs do really well on it. It doesn't contain grains which dogs do not need as they are harder for them to digest.

rainbow
October 22nd, 2007, 02:58 PM
...I am using Orijen..It is a fairly new product on the market..It is Canadian from BC.

It is not made in B.C - it is manufactured in Morinville, Alberta at Champion Pet Foods own plant which is a big bonus. :thumbs up

rainbow
October 22nd, 2007, 03:07 PM
If you do decide to switch to Orijen here is the store locator for Manitoba:

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/storeLocator/ManitobaStoreListing.aspx

Winston
October 22nd, 2007, 07:04 PM
Sorry Rainbow my memory is fading me today!! Thanks for the correction!

Cindy