Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beagle Mix with a cough

lita07
October 22nd, 2007, 02:28 AM
My beagle mix is 4 years old and for the last couple of years during the allergy seasons she gets a little cough. Its normally a dry hacking cough and after a quick visit to the vet and some meds its cleared up and she fine again. This year its different. Ever since August I've been going back and forth with her to the vet, I've had exrays, and blood tests to make "sure" its not something serious. At first the doctor thought it was bronchitis and put her on bronchiodialators, which she had never taken before and she had bad side affects to. We promptly took her off the meds and reverted back to the usually yearly dose of corticosteroids that she was always prescribed. And normally this is where it ends but this time, ever since the bronciodialators, she gets the cough when excited and sometimes when she's sleeping. But the really strange thing is that it only happens at certain places. In my home she always wakes me up at night with the cough but this afternoon I took her over to a friends to visit their dog and they were ruffing each other up for about 3 hours or more and not one single cough while playing or when they finally passed out from being tired.

I just don't know what to do anymore, I've got her on the heartworm pills and taken her to the vet at least 3-4 times in the last 2 months and I'm just worried its something more serious then a cough. Is it possible that its allergy's to something in her environment? Are there any homiopathic remedies that I could try to easy the cough? Any suggestions that might help would be greatly appriciated.

Love4himies
October 22nd, 2007, 07:46 AM
Sorry to hear about your beagle, could it be asthma and not just allergies?:shrug:

growler~GateKeeper
October 23rd, 2007, 02:15 AM
If the coughing only happens in your house & no where else you could be looking @ environmental allergies ie dust, carpeting, cleaners, mold, air fresheners, perfume, soap etc etc then you need to talk to your vet about finding out what it is

Good luck :fingerscr keep us updated