Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

hot spot on my old husky cross

Hogansma
October 21st, 2007, 09:29 PM
My dog, Hogan, found a hot spot on Bailey, my old huskie cross. He kept sniffing a spot on her back so I checked it out. Overnight it went into a 1 inch yucky mess. I took her to the vet yesterday and got an antibiotic shot, pills and cream. She seems to be improving but I have a question about what caused it. It's in a spot where she can't scratch or reach it in any way so that is not a possiblity. She has no fleas. I only got her in June and she had surgery for a huge yucky growth then and she is at least 11 years old, maybe more. The skin around looks pinkish so I guess it is an alergy. I started her on glucosamine capsules opened and emptied into her food (no casing). Could she be alergic to that? The only other food change is that she gets Science Diet in the morning and I get the "small bites" because of her teeth. I made a mistake a few days before the outbreak and got the Science Diet dry puppy food instead. Her main meal is a home cooked rice/potato/tuna mix and sometimes with veggies. Any thoughts/recommendations appreciated. Oh, I'll try to insert a pic, not of the boo boo, just of my beautiful girl. Any other guesses at what breed she is? Thx.

growler~GateKeeper
October 21st, 2007, 10:14 PM
The poor quality of thr food (Science Diet is not a high quality food) could be causing hot spots.

Read this thread on hotspots:

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44978&highlight=hot+spots

I think Bailey looks like a Siberian Husky x German Shepard (Alsatian like Littlest Hobo tv show) cross

the gang
October 21st, 2007, 10:28 PM
try and go houlstic food !!!!! and gold balm works great for hot spots used it on my cocker, helped every time brenda and the pins.

mummummum
October 21st, 2007, 11:53 PM
.. I started her on glucosamine capsules opened and emptied into her food (no casing). Could she be alergic to that?...

Not likely unless she :lovestruck: is allergic to shellfish. Glucosamine is derived from shellfish.

Personally I would stick with the homemade diet. Science Diet would definitely not be the kibble of choice for me. My dogs are currently eating Orijen, love it and are thriving with it.

This is a good article on hotspots : http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?cls=2&cat=1592&articleid=447

rainbow
October 22nd, 2007, 12:23 AM
I would definitely take her off the Science Diet and I don't think your rice/potato/tuna diet is complete enough for her. I would switch her to Orijen (www.championpetfoods.com) and add some coconut oil to her food. The Orijen kibble is quite small so she shouldn't have any problem. The coconut oil you can get at the health food store and make sure it says "organic extra virgin" on the label. :pawprint:

She looks like a real sweetheart. :lovestruck: Definitely husky and shepherd cross with probably some other breed(s) as well. I think you will notice a difference with a diet change. Good luck and please keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

the gang
October 22nd, 2007, 05:27 AM
yes i agree switched 2 months ago to the orjen for the pins they love it brenda.

Hogansma
October 22nd, 2007, 01:39 PM
Thanks all! I will definitely switch her breakfast to Orijen if I can find it. I'll phone around today. As for her cooked dinner, she eats better than I do! I do switch the protein from tuna to chicken or eggs along with a carbohydrate (potato/rice) and frozen veggies. The allergy may also be from putting my living room carpet down for fall. It's been scotchguarded. Then the hardwood floors were refinshed too. Also made her a new bed cushion and it hasn't been washed. That is easy to fix. Allergies are soooo frustrating!!!! It could almost be anything. She was grossly overweight when I got her in June and she has lost 10 pounds now. (Her pic is after losing weight so you can imagine what she looked like.)

rainbow
October 22nd, 2007, 01:48 PM
Glad you'r switching her to the Orijen. It is an awesome food and should help with her weight loss. Here is the B.C. store locator ....just scroll down for Burnaby:

http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/storeLocator/BCStoreListing.aspx

I hope it works for her.....please let us know.

Hogansma
October 22nd, 2007, 03:21 PM
You guys are just awesome!!! I did go to one on the list and got the Origen. Does her age also add to the hot spots? I've never had a dog with them before. Just for people who are not familiar with them, hers increased dramatically in size in just one night. Please don't wait to take your dog to the vet if you see them.

Okay, a bit off topic but have to tell you about what a character she is. She is one gutsy old lady. At first she couldn't get up my 2 stairs. She would back up and take a run with arthritic/ displasia hips and go head first into the second step. Then with not even a wimper she'd shake it off, back up and try again. Now she can do the stairs thanks to glucosamine and 10 less pounds. She is our little ray of sunshine. Please do not hesitate to take in an old dog. They are just so precious. :lovestruck:

rainbow
October 22nd, 2007, 03:37 PM
I don't think age matters with hot spots. Bailey sounds like a determined old girl...I'm glad that she has found a caring mom to look after her. :angel: And, keep us updated on her progress, with lots of pics of course. :goodvibes:

mummummum
October 22nd, 2007, 08:26 PM
Okay, a bit off topic but have to tell you about what a character she is. She is one gutsy old lady. At first she couldn't get up my 2 stairs. She would back up and take a run with arthritic/ displasia hips and go head first into the second step. Then with not even a wimper she'd shake it off, back up and try again. Now she can do the stairs thanks to glucosamine and 10 less pounds. She is our little ray of sunshine. Please do not hesitate to take in an old dog. They are just so precious. :lovestruck:

What an amazing grrrl Hogansma! But does it surprize you? I remember when you joined, you had her for only a short awhile and were so worried about her ability to survive surgery, then she sailed right through !

I tell ya ~ you can't beat an older doggie for "spunk"!

In terms of the hotspots it's probably her joint problems that are the root cause.

otter
October 22nd, 2007, 08:33 PM
I just went through a hot spot "incident" with Molly... when I get a chance a new thread. Hers too went from nothing to huge in just one evening!

I had just recently switched to Orijen Fish from Canidae Lamb and Rice due to contant itchiness, I think it was a mistake. Today I went to get more Lamb and Rice and talking to the pet store "guy" he said that sometimes a very high protein diet can cause hot spots. I'd never heard this before but it sure would explain the flair up with the Orijen. Has anyone ever heard of this connection?
Anyways..just something to keep in the back of your mind. Lots of great info here (i'm going back and re reading!)

Yipee older adoptions!:thumbs up

rainbow
October 23rd, 2007, 01:09 PM
talking to the pet store "guy" he said that sometimes a very high protein diet can cause hot spots. I'd never heard this before but it sure would explain the flair up with the Orijen. Has anyone ever heard of this connection?

I had heard that in the past but it was long before the new grain-free foods came out when protein was increased by using corn and especially soy to up the amounts. I'm pretty sure that meat and egg sources of protein are not the cause. If anyone knows for sure, please correct me. :o