Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Beagle Pain Syndrome (and stairs) - Any Advice???

Henrietta
October 21st, 2007, 08:38 PM
My 3 year old beagle is experiencing severe neck pain (Beagle Pain Syndrome). The vet has prescribed a month of "bed rest" going outside only to use the facilities. The problem is, I have 8 stairs between my house and my yard. I cannot lift her as I do not want to cause her more pain, and she is not supposed to walk up/down stairs. So the question is - how do I get her in and out of the house?

Any suggestions would be helpful.

THANK YOU!

growler~GateKeeper
October 21st, 2007, 09:43 PM
You could buy/build a ramp & cover it with rubber matting for traction

good luck & welcome to pets.ca :) we love pics here :D

mummummum
October 22nd, 2007, 12:16 AM
Wheelchair access guidelines require 1 foot of ramp for each inch of rise in height. As long as you have the space, all you need are some 2x4's and plywood. Is the back or side door at an equally high elevation compared to the ground ? If not, consider building there otherwise you will have a VERY long ramp. You may not need to follow the grade regulations for wheelchair use but you wil still need to make sure your doggy can navigate the ramp safely and comfortably. Alternatively, I have rented portable steel ramps from the Red Cross very inexpensively in the past.

SnowDancer
October 22nd, 2007, 11:04 AM
Did you vet take an X-Ray of your Beagle's Neck? I ask because when my second mini Dachshund had his back/neck surgery our excellent neuro told us that he had just performed same back/neck disc surgery on his 2 dogs and like us was sleeping on a mattress on the floor and all the furniture was turned upside down. I assumed that his dogs were Dachshunds - they weren't - they were Beagles much to my shock. Apparently this disc problem is showing up a lot now in Beagles. I agree with the strict rest - and this means keeping dog in a crate as hard as that is - I am not a "crater" and off the stairs etc. We carried our Dachshunds - you should be able to do so with your Beagle. BUT what worries me is that if the neck discs are in fact the problem, surgery might well be required. But it might not be the discs - could be the problem as named by your vet - but just wanted to mention that Beagles are at risk. After our last Dachshund died we would have gone back to Beagles if the neuro had not told us of his Beagles - so now we have an Eskimo. I love him dearly, but how I miss my hounds. Hope your pup gets better.

Henrietta
October 23rd, 2007, 08:28 PM
We were able to carry her up and down the stairs as we are currently undergoing to construction of a ramp. She seems to be doing much better, whining to get out of the kitchen and play... she is getting better about taking her pills and does not seem to be as scared to try to move.

Thank you for the suggestions!

rainbow
October 24th, 2007, 01:53 AM
Glad to hear Violet is doing better and hope she continues to improve. :fingerscr :goodvibes: We'd love to see pics of her if you have any and, also, welocme to pets.ca :D

growler~GateKeeper
October 24th, 2007, 03:43 AM
glad to hear things are going better :fingerscr for continued success :)

mummummum
October 24th, 2007, 05:18 AM
Oh there is a "we" . I had assumed there was just you at home. :rolleyes: With a "we" you could safely do a two-person lift with a sheet or a blanket if you don't or can't undergo construction of a ramp.

Out of curiosity, how is Beagle Pain Syndrome diagnosed and how is differentiated from other strains or pain?

Henrietta
October 24th, 2007, 08:26 PM
Here's a picture of my princess.

She thanks everyone for their well wishes. She's still got a way to go, but she's not screaming anymore.

Henrietta
October 26th, 2007, 08:02 PM
is she worse or is she faking ?

she looks like a relapse, but a friend was trying to convince me that she's faking. any thoughts ?

mummummum
October 26th, 2007, 08:36 PM
Personally, I'd trust the opinion of my screaming dog over my friend :o. It sounds like you might need a return visit to the Vet. How was originally diagnosed ?

For anyone who is interested here is a link to the syndrome : http://www.geocities.com/aladarbeagles/beaglepain.html

Henrietta
October 27th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Violet was screaming last Friday night, and we took her to the vet on Saturday. The vet said that it was "Beagle Pain Syndrome" and prescribed pain medication as well as anti-inflammatory and muscle relaxant.

She was doing much better Tuesday and Wednesday, but perhaps she was a little too energetic?? We cut back her pain meds from 1.5 pills to 1 pill, as the vet had indicated we should do when she started getting better. Then on Thursday morning she put on a concert for the neighborhood when she went out for her morning stroll. (screaming on the way in) We went back to the 1.5 pills, and she is doing better, but not as well as she was doing Wednesday.

She is taking it easy and being cautious, still taking her meds like a good girl, and screaming every once in a while when she moves the wrong way.

We have been in touch with the vet, who said to keep doing what we've been doing and bring her in one day next week.

We'll just have to wait and see, I guess. :confused:

mummummum
October 27th, 2007, 11:55 AM
I was just curious whether they tested her for bacterial meningitis. I'm not familiar with this syndrome and always like to learn new things. Would massage, heat therapy, chiropractic or acupressure/puncture help relieve her symptoms in any way?

SnowDancer
October 27th, 2007, 12:18 PM
I looked up the Condition and did note that it is frequently presents similar to cervical disc disease which is what my dog's neuro's Beagles had but that only the appropriate tests could determine which condition it was. During my search I came across many sites where people with Beagles with Pain Syndrome have posted their experiences and their dogs' treatment. Perhaps one of these groups could give you some help. Is you vet a neuro? If not, perhaps a consult might be in order, although it would be expensive. If you are near a teaching hospital, you could probably get a break on the price, as long as you are able to make a "regular" appointment - not have to go in on an emergency basis. Hope your pup feels better soon - and I very seriously doubt your dog is faking screaming. Our Dachshunds screamed when the calcified discs pressed directly on spinal cords - we had to carry to vet - each of us holding the corners of a blanket. Awful.