Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

many symptons of sickness

plmacdonald
October 21st, 2007, 12:07 PM
I have a 7 year old golden retriever who just stopped eating on Monday. I was at the vet on Wed, no fever, gums pink, no heart problems, breathing fine. Told to make soup etc, get dog to eat and monitor. Have made soup and fed with turkey baster, dog enjoys walking, and is eating lots of grass to throw up whenever we go out, has had a regular bowel movement, drinking water. Has a muscle, stomach twitch i notice, just not feeling or acting himself, and will not eat. In the last week has eaten 1.5 milk bones and 1 piece of bacon, along with the soup i feed him 3 times a day. Does not WANT to eat but will take the soup from me without much hassle. Any suggestions?

otter
October 21st, 2007, 01:38 PM
Definitely get back to the vet... not eating is a definite sign that something serious is wrong!

For food you can try other tasty treats like: baby food, mixed with a bit of water, ground beef, boiled chicken, even raw chicken. Keep up with the soup, it is imperative that they get some kind of nutrition and water into them.

You can search on this forum for lots of other tips to get a dog to eat. I went through this in January and I remember lots of tips... i'll see what I can find for you.

otter
October 21st, 2007, 01:51 PM
This post has some suggestions... just don't read to the end of it (very sad story)
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=35384

I hope your golden is doing better soon :pray::goodvibes:

rainbow
October 21st, 2007, 01:58 PM
Did the vet not do any bloodwork? I would get a complete blood panel done asap as there is definitely something wrong. Good luck and keep us posted. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

coppperbelle
October 21st, 2007, 07:16 PM
Did anything changed in his life recently? Was he a good eater before? I would definitely take him back to the vet for more tests. He has stopped eating for a reason.

plmacdonald
October 21st, 2007, 07:41 PM
Nothing has changed in Baileys life recently, quite honestly at first i thought he missed our youngest son who went off to college, He was very chipper on his walk tonight , pulling me along. This morning we drove to our cottage, he was very excited, walked on the beach and was actually running at one point. He is eating lots of grass, (which is not his normal thing to do) as he has all week, and trying to make himself throw up. He has kept down his chicken noodle soup for lunch and his chicken and broth blender soup for supper. He is drinking lots of water, peeing fine and had a bowel movement, which eliminates blockage. He is just not himself, and it is breaking my heart. The vet said he did not look like a "very sick" dog and did not think it was serious, but I was not just running to the vet for something to do! So back I will go and demand blood work as the next step I guess, and keep my fingers crossed, and keep feeding him with the turkey baster to put something in his stomach. A week without eating is definately too long. Thanks for your support

free
October 21st, 2007, 08:07 PM
when you go to the vet take a fecal sample to be tested for worms and coccidia. our 4 year old airedale just tested positive and his only symptoms was not eating the usual way and threw up bile 2ce over 3 days but was not acting totally normal.

allymack
October 21st, 2007, 08:13 PM
well, you hsould definately take him back to the vet and get some blood work done, also it could be something like it hurts when he eat, so get the vet to check his teeth any case any are hurting him, cause him to not want to eat because it hurts to much, also it could be his throat or stomach that is bothering, because what he eats might be hurting going down to his stomach or hurting in his stomach. Try wet food, because it is pretty soft , or try soaking some of his normal food in water to softer it up, but also keep up with the soup, try pureeing his food or other items with nutrients in with the soup, hope this helps :)

rainbow
October 21st, 2007, 08:17 PM
Glad you are taking Bailey back to the vet for bloodwork. Good luck and please give us an update. :fingerscr :goodvibes:

plmacdonald
October 22nd, 2007, 09:43 PM
Bailey went to the vet and was put on IV and had blood work done. He was in distress, kidney failure due to a tumor, so we had him put to sleep. We are very upset right now, upset that on wed the vet sent us home and said he was not sick. Although at this time I realize that it would not have changed the outcome, it is still upsetting.:angel2:

clm
October 22nd, 2007, 09:59 PM
I'm so sorry about your dog. It's so hard when it happens so fast. My thoughts are with you.

Cindy

Shaykeija
October 22nd, 2007, 09:59 PM
:sorry: about Bailey. Such a young baby. Race to the bridge baby where you will be healthy and happy again.:angel2::rip:

otter
October 22nd, 2007, 10:48 PM
Oh plmacdonald my heart goes out to you. Things can go downhill so quickly with older animals. My Chloe had about the same timeline as your Bailey. It was devastating. You did everything you could to provide for your Bailey and keep him comfortable and happy. I hope your memories of him running on the beach will keep you going through this incredibly hard time.:angel2:
:rip: Bailey:candle:

TeriM
October 23rd, 2007, 01:56 AM
I'm so sorry about Bailey :grouphug:. I am glad that you had some nice memories together with you last days together.

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: