Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

orijen or go natural?

chase de bull
October 21st, 2007, 03:55 AM
both are canadian brands. which is better orijen or go natural?

Tommysmom
October 21st, 2007, 08:11 AM
I've heard good things about both. I personally switched to Orijen a while back, and my dog is loving it and doing amazingly well on it, so I'm pretty partial to that one.

Winston
October 21st, 2007, 08:17 AM
Winston is doing really well on the Orijen Fish Formula

Cindy

KimandAutumn
October 21st, 2007, 09:00 AM
I've fed both and both are really great foods. I feed Autumn Orijen after trial and error, we discoverd Ms. Sensitive really cannot tolerate most carbs or grains. I'm really happy with the results. Before Orijen she had symptoms resembling IBS, dry hair and skin, dandruff, skin rash and bumps all over her inner thighs, chin acne.

What a difference several months made. I have people stop me when we are out and about and ask me what I am doing because her coat is beautiful and she's in such wonderful condition.

JanM
October 21st, 2007, 09:51 AM
My two Goldens are on Go Natural - grain free. We tried Orijen 6 but Amber had a terrible reaction to it - itchy, red skin so it's back to Go Natural. It works well for us.

geisha
October 21st, 2007, 01:03 PM
Hi there.
You may want to try the trial sized bag of both and see which one they like/tolerate the best. Geisha likes both equally as well. Her stools are small & firm with both. Rose likes Orijen Fish. If $$$ is an issue here Orijen is slightly less expensive and readily available. You may wish to rotate both in your pup's diet. Good luck!!!

rainbow
October 21st, 2007, 01:19 PM
I agree with Geisha about getting small or sample bags of each. I prefer the Orijen and most dogs do well on it but Go Natural Grain Free (not the Go Natural NOW formula) is also a great food. :pawprint:

Bentley'sMom
October 21st, 2007, 06:16 PM
Our 6 yr old golden ret. has been on Orijen Adult for 9 months with great results: no more yeasty ear infections and her coat is beautiful. Our 12 week old lab is on Orijen Large Breed Puppy and is doing well. I like the fact that there are a number of meat protein sources in the top 6 ingredients of the Orijen compared to, I believe, one meat protein source in the top 10 ingredients of the Go Natural Grain Free. Having potato flour as the 2nd listed ingredient in the Go Natural also doesn't appeal to me.

rainbow
October 21st, 2007, 07:30 PM
I like the fact that there are a number of meat protein sources in the top 6 ingredients of the Orijen compared to, I believe, one meat protein source in the top 10 ingredients of the Go Natural Grain Free. Having potato flour as the 2nd listed ingredient in the Go Natural also doesn't appeal to me.

The one meat protein and potato flour are ingredients in Go Natural NOW:

Ingredients:
De-boned Turkey, Potato Flour, Pea, Apple, Whole Dried Egg, Pea Fibre, Tomato, Potato, Flaxseed, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E) , Natural Flavors, De-boned Salmon, De-boned Duck, Sun Dried Alfalfa, Coconut Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols, a source of Vitamin E), Calcium Carbonate, Dicalcium Phosphate, Lecithin, Sodium Chloride, Potassium Chloride, Fruit: ( pumpkin, bananas, blueberries, cranberries, raspberries, blackberries, papaya, pineapple), Vegetables: ( carrots, lentil beans, broccoli, spinach, alfalfa sprouts, garlic), cottage cheese, zeolite, Vitamins: ( vitamin A, vitamin E, Vitamin C, niacin: source of Vitamin B3 thiamine mononitrate: source of Vitamin B1, pyridoxine hydrochloride: source of Vitamin B6, Riboflavin : source of Vitamin B2, Vitamin K, beta-carotene, inositol: source of Vitamin B8, d-calcium panthothenate, vitamin D3, folic acid: (source of vitamin B9) biotin, source of vitamin B7 or H, vitamin B12) , Minerals: (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite) , Prebiotics: (chicory root extract, mannanoligosaccharides), Probiotics: lactobacillus acidophilus, lactobacillus casei, enterococcus faecium, bifido bacterium thermophilum), Ascorbyl-Polyphosphate, Digestive Enzymes: ( dried trichoderma viride fermentation extract, dried aspergillus niger fermentation extract, dried aspergillus oryzae fermentation extract) , Kelp, Taurine, DL Methionine, L-lysine, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Marigold Extract,L-Carnitine, Dried Rosemary.

Their Go Natural Grain Free is a much better product imo:

Ingredients:
Chicken Meal, Chicken, Turkey, Turkey Meal, Potato, Chicken Fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols (vit. E), Herring Meal, Potatoes, Peas, Tomato Pomace, Natural Flavour, Salmon, Duck, Salmon Meal, Duck Meal, Salmon Oil, Whole Dried Egg, Flax Seed Oil, Brewer’s Yeast, Pea Fibre, Potassium Chloride, Calcium Carbonate, Taurine, Choline Chloride, Chicory Root Extract, Mannanoligosaccharides, Pumpkin, Apples, Carrots, Bananas, Blueberries, Cranberries, Lentil Beans, Broccoli, Spinach, Cottage Cheese, Alfalfa Sprouts, Protease, Lipase, Garlic, Lactobacillus Acidophilus, Lactobacillus Casei, Enterococcus Faecium, Bifido-bacterium Thermophilum, Vitamins (vit. E, vit. C, niacin, inositol, vit. A, thiamine mononitrate, d-calcium pantothenate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin, vit. K, beta-carotene, vit. D3, folic acid, biotin, vit. B12), Minerals (zinc proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), Ascorbyl-polyphosphate, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Dried Rosemary.

But, I still prefer Orijen. :pawprint:

mummummum
October 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM
My dogs are all fed Orijen and very happily hoover it up. They weren't all that crazy about Go Natural. We tried their salmon formula :

INGREDIENTS

Salmon Meal, Salmon, Oatmeal, Whole Oats, Canola Oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols (vit. E), Oat fiber, Inulin (FOS), Mannanoligosaccharides (MOS), Yucca Schidigera, Vitamin A Acetate, Cholecalciferol (vit. D3), dl Alpha Tocopherol Acetate (vit. E), Ferrous Sulfate, *Zinc Proteinate, Zinc Oxide, Ascorbic Acid (vit. C), Niacin, Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, *Copper Proteinate, Manganous Oxide, *Manganese Proteinate, Riboflavin, Calcium Iodate, Thiamine Mononitrate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (vit. B6), Folic Acid, Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Cobalt Carbonate, Vitamin K, Vitamin B12.

I wasn't crazy that oats were broken down 3 ways. :2cents:

Angelfire
October 21st, 2007, 08:04 PM
I switch my dogs to orijen cause Beau has allergies and he is now off his meds and doing great. I am slowly introducing Mica to orijen as well. They are both on a skin and coat supplement called California supplement. There coats are nice a shinny and soft.

Mypetsrmykids
October 23rd, 2007, 06:55 PM
I am switching my 7 month old papillon from Artemis puppy to Orijen puppy and my 13 year old poodles from Innova Senior to Orijen Senior. I should get the Orijen food tomorrow. Other than switching slowly while mixing, is there anything else we should know? I've heard so many wonderful comments about Orijen, I decided to make the switch :thumbs up

the gang
October 23rd, 2007, 09:29 PM
i have min pins all 5 rescues are on orgen, for 2 months now , they love it 1 month ago we found out our first pin is diabect im hoping this will help less grains= less sugar, but they love it good luck brenda and the pins

Freyja
October 25th, 2007, 01:22 PM
Both my dogs are on Orijen. I have a 3 year old Shep/Husky and her coat is amazing!!!!!!!!!!! I also have a 6mo puppy on Orijen Puppy. I switched from Acana which is the same company, but after doing an ingredient comparison, made the switch.

contaygious
October 31st, 2007, 11:54 PM
Orijen looks good, has anyone used the 6 Fresh Fish version?

Tommysmom
October 31st, 2007, 11:59 PM
We're using the fish. Tommy loves it, it's realllllllly fishy - you can smell it all over his breath after he eats, LOL. My mom was feeding the fish too, but had to switch because her cats kept eating all the dog's food:rolleyes:.