Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

my cat is sick?

Neilton
October 21st, 2007, 02:57 AM
hello

i am sure that there have been similar cat issues, however i am new and i need to post what my issue is, with hopes that someone can help me out. . .I have two cats, Keisha and Jacob, they were born in May 1996, Jakes was the "runt" of the litter, My ex had liked Keisha and i decided that we should have two of them, i fell for Jacob....fast forward 11 years, Jacob suddenly grew and was always close to 30 pounds, a big boy....over the years, both cats have pooped and peed in places that they shouldn't, but never with frequency that Jacob is.....in recent months, Jacob has done this more often, he has also lost alot of weight, he has gone from the almost 30 pounds to as light as or lighter than Keisha who has maintained a weight of around 11-14 lbs. Since around May or June, Jacob had started to poop in one area of the house in the front room, and it happened more and more...to the point that we had to put up a gate so he would stay in one part of the house...he then started peeing in different areas, he has now, began to jump the gate, something that he was unable to do for years, now suddenly he can jump the gate for the purpose of pooing in that same spot....and come right back and meow for someone to life him back over....too me something is wrong....its too the point now that we cannot take the smell of the pee and the poop....dont get me wrong, it is cleaned up as soon as it is noticed...but it is a daily thing, sometimes one, two or three times...we have actually set up a day to take him to the vet next week to put him down...this breaks my heart...I love my cats with all my heart....and feel so bad that I know if i take him to the vet, that they are going to tell me to give him this or that and its going to cost an arm and a leg...i cannot afford this now, going through a break up and having two kids...i am just wondering if anyone knows about something like this, weight loss and this pooing and peeing thing, if anyone has any ideas ... let me add that his appetite is there....and he seems too have energy...please let me know thanks

growler~GateKeeper
October 21st, 2007, 03:29 AM
...we have actually set up a day to take him to the vet next week to put him down...this breaks my heart...I love my cats with all my heart....and feel so bad that I know if i take him to the vet, that they are going to tell me to give him this or that and its going to cost an arm and a leg...i cannot afford this now, going through a break up and having two kids...i am just wondering if anyone knows about something like this, weight loss and this pooing and peeing thing, if anyone has any ideas ... let me add that his appetite is there....and he seems too have energy...please let me know thanks

Eliminating inappropriately is not a reason to have your cat pts. And the weight loss is also not a reason to have your cat pts. To have a cat that was 30lbs & completely healthy would be a surprise since the healthy weight for most cats is between 8-14lbs.

Since your can is only 11 years old he still may have years & years ahead of him - (my cat is 16yrs old & doesn't look/act like a senior & she is not in perfect health) The vet visit should be used to have a full blood panel & urinalysis done this will help determine what is wrong with your cat. It could be something that can be easily corrected, especially since your cat is still eating & has energy.

Most vets will take payment plans - look into that as well, most do not advertise that they will accept payment plans, otherwise everyone would do it. My cat was diagnoised @ 14yrs old with a condition that is not uncommon but easily treated, I don't make very much money however I opted for the more expensive of the 3 treatment options for which the vet accepted a payment plan for & I was given a personal loan from my boss to pay for it.

If you are determine you can not go through with any testing/treatments instead of having the cat pts, instead ask if your vet will take the cat as a surrender to either become a clinic cat or if they will put him up for adoption after his issues have been resolved. Just do not surrender him to a shelter for they may put him to sleep because of unresolved health/behaviour issues.

It would be a shame not to give him every possible chance especially since you don't know what is wrong.

I hope this helps you to reconsider your decsion :)

sugarcatmom
October 21st, 2007, 01:34 PM
Along with what Growler said, might I also suggest that you put a litter box in the very spot that your cat is so determined to eliminate in. You can slowly move it back to where you want it once he's consistently using it. By the way, how many litter boxes do you have, and how often do you clean them? Adding a few more around the house and cleaning them at least once a day, if not twice, could help. Read this for more litter box info: http://www.catinfo.org/litterbox.htm

Also, your cat was obviously obese at 30lbs (not even a big Maine Coon should weigh that much). I'm going to assume that he was free-feeding on high-carb dry food, so after you take him for a check-up (please don't PTS, he doesn't deserve that from someone who should be loving him and trying to help him) it would be good if you changed both of your cat's diets to wet food. Read more here on why wet is better: http://www.catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm

And lastly, if you truly cannot afford vet care, there are options. There are special credit cards you can get: http://www.carecredit.ca/
and there are groups that will help with donations: http://www.imom.org/ But you should at least go to the vet to figure out what the problem is before you rashly decide death is the answer.

krdahmer
October 21st, 2007, 01:35 PM
Oh please do not have your cat put to sleep without at least getting him vet attention for the issue at hand. It could be as simple as a parasite and some pills, or just a behavioural issue or that he can still smell it and that spot is now his litter box as that spot or the actual litter box is not being cleaned thoroughly enough. If he is eating, and obviously is still eliminating, and has had no vet care or blood work done, I cannot fathom how a vet would even agree to put him to sleep, that is appauling!:frustrated: And if it is that you can't stand the smell/behaviour surrender him to a rescue that will get him vet care and rehome him. For the money you will spend giving up on him, you could get him the help he needs instead. I am really hoping that you left something out and I am misinterpreting this post....its really just too sad,:sad: and if I have misunderstood, I apologize.

rainbow
October 21st, 2007, 02:11 PM
You've already been given lots of excellent advice so all I want to say is please reconsider before having your cat pts. It could be something quite simple to treat and your cat should not be put down before you find out.

Love4himies
October 22nd, 2007, 07:28 AM
If you can't afford all the testing done at once, maybe start with just some blood work. Also phone around, there may be some vets that are cheaper, especially ones that are a bit out of town.

pravalgi
October 24th, 2007, 09:33 AM
Yes, this has all been excellent advice. Never let money be a reason for putting down an animal. There are options. If you can't work one out with your vet, call around. There are animal clinics, etc, that will help and this doesn't seem like a life-threatening condition. Best of luck!

rainbow
October 24th, 2007, 05:00 PM
I hope we haven't scared you away....do you have an update for us? :fingerscr