Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Declan has an errr...uhhhhmmm...smelly

mummummum
October 20th, 2007, 09:02 PM
bum. :rolleyes:

Although he will occasionally have a stinkeroo, this is not gas. If I take an unscented babywipe to his bottom, there will be a bit of residue poop but nothing so much that you would say "Oh, so THAT was the problem!".

I've never encountered anal sac problems so other than scooting, licking and straining (none of which he is doing) I'm not what I'm looking for signs and symptoms-wise. I'm thinking it might be more of a sign of age (he's ten-ish this year).

Could this be a sign of an aging anus (:laughing::sick::clown:sorry! I couldn't resist!:clown::sick::laughing:) ?

hazelrunpack
October 20th, 2007, 09:05 PM
So does Declan's bum smell poopy, fishy, or just stale?

go on, MMM....jus' get yer nose right down in there :D

mummummum
October 20th, 2007, 09:13 PM
:laughing: I do ! I do!

It's like a sour milk-poop smell.

hazelrunpack
October 20th, 2007, 09:18 PM
Hmmmm... (insert :smiley thoughtfully stroking chin: here)

Refresh my memory--does Declan have any hip or back issues?

Frenchy
October 20th, 2007, 09:20 PM
go on, MMM....jus' get yer nose right down in there :D

:laughing::laughing::laughing:

mummummum
October 20th, 2007, 09:24 PM
Nothing beyond normal signs of age. I've noticed weakening in his hips and knees in the last six months or so, particularly his hips. He has a more pronounced lean to the front and widened stance when he poops, is less inclined to sit and does so with more difficulty and sometimes falls backwards onto his behind instead of self-correcting his weight-bearing if he gets pulled backwards.

hazelrunpack
October 20th, 2007, 09:31 PM
Could he have tweaked his back recently and it's just sore enough to keep him from assuming correct pooping posture?

If he's willing to let you wipe, maybe you should just make it a ritual. :o

mummummum
October 20th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I haven't noticed any tenderness during our evening backrubs and he doesn't seem to "clutch" as if he's in pain as he's lying down ~ it's more a hip thing if it's anything. But, again ~ more age than disease I'd say.

Wiping his bum a coupla times a day? ....oh boy! Lucky me! :laughing:

hazelrunpack
October 20th, 2007, 09:42 PM
One of our setters, Gauge, used to get a chapped anus. Nope...not kidding--it would get chapped in cold weather. I used to wipe it with a little A&D ointment to soothe it. :o Used to sorta gross out hubby (I guess it's a mummy thing), but Gauge really liked it! :D

mummummum
October 20th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Kinky ol' thing was he ? :D

hazelrunpack
October 20th, 2007, 09:48 PM
Kinky ol' thing was he ? :D

He had his moments! :laughing:

Frenchy
October 20th, 2007, 09:48 PM
I've never encountered anal sac problems so other than scooting, licking and straining (none of which he is doing)

Maybe that's just it , maybe he just needs to get his glands emptied. Some dogs don't have other symptoms. :shrug:

otter
October 20th, 2007, 09:54 PM
I don't know, my Chloe (:rip:) had stinky bum issues and having her anal glands expresses always helped though she too never had any tell tale anal gland symptoms (no scooting, no licking, no staining). Give those glands a squeeze :yuck:...it's worth a shot:yuck::yuck::yuck:

mummummum
October 20th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I've never done it ~ is it something I have to be shown how to do or can it be learned by instruction ?

Frenchy
October 20th, 2007, 10:13 PM
I've never done it ~ is it something I have to be shown how to do or can it be learned by instruction ?

Francly , I wouln't do it myself.

mummummum
October 20th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Too messy ? Smelly? Difficult to do ?

rainbow
October 20th, 2007, 10:17 PM
Maybe this will help....

http://www.bullwrinkle.com/Assets/Health%20Topics/anal.htm

I've never had anal gland problems with any of my dogs but I wouldn't do it myself either :yuck: .....I'd much rather pay the vet to do it. :o

Frenchy
October 20th, 2007, 10:29 PM
Too messy ? Smelly? Difficult to do ?

I've heard there can be complications if not done properly. I don't remember what , I didn't pay attention :o because I knew I would never do it myself. :shrug:

otter
October 20th, 2007, 10:29 PM
You CAN do it yourself but, be prepared, it can/will be REALLY gross, especially the first time. Even my vet gaged when he did it:yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck: You vet might be willing to show you how to do it, most groomers with also do it.

mummummum
October 20th, 2007, 10:33 PM
Thanks Rainbow!

Okay, I followed the instructions. I felt the glands ~ at least I think I did, hard little nodules towards the bottom of the anus ? There wasn't much in them.

mummummum
October 20th, 2007, 10:34 PM
I've heard there can be complications if not done properly. I don't remember what , I didn't pay attention :o because I knew I would never do it myself. :shrug:

According to the site posted by Rainbow, they can be ruptured if one presses too hard.

Frenchy
October 20th, 2007, 10:35 PM
None of my dogs ever needed it. I know Daisy had hers emptied , we suspected they were full but that wasn't the case at all.

mummummum
October 20th, 2007, 10:37 PM
You CAN do it yourself but, be prepared, it can/will be REALLY gross, especially the first time. Even my vet gaged when he did it:yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck::yuck: You vet might be willing to show you how to do it, most groomers with also do it.

Hmmm... this tells me I didn't do it right. I felt his anus contracting but very little if anything was on the babywipe.

otter
October 20th, 2007, 10:38 PM
When I tried to do it myself I never got anything out, i'd take her to the vet and YUCK! I think you have to get a feel for how hard to squeeze. Maybe keep up with the wiping for now, next time you are at the vet get them to check.

hazelrunpack
October 20th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Hmmm... this tells me I didn't do it right. I felt his anus contracting but very little if anything was on the babywipe.

If the glands aren't very full, you won't get much. :shrug:

rainbow
October 20th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I think I would take him to the vet. :o

mummummum
October 20th, 2007, 10:47 PM
He's due for a rabies shot next month, I'll get the Vet Tech to check him. Until then I guess it's me, a box of babywipes and his bum-bum!! Whooppee! :laughing:

rainbow
October 20th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Happy Bum Wiping. :crazy: :D

growler~GateKeeper
October 20th, 2007, 11:33 PM
your sense of smell will thank you for letting the vet tech do it :laugh: just don't stand near his back-end when they express them :yuck::yuck:

shredy
October 20th, 2007, 11:56 PM
I always did this for Shade during her baths so that I could wash her bum right afterward. It isn't too hard to do, but I would have your vet or their tech show you how because if they are impacted you could rupture them. Gloves and lubricant are a must. This isn't for everyone, but I am not the sqeamish type... Also he may have a hemmorrhoid or something that is causing the residue and the smell. That's what happens to people, so I would assume the same for pups too. Good luck and if you do it, make sure you are outside, you may have to move if you do it inside :)