Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Wont go #2 in the right spot

terrilynn01
October 20th, 2007, 07:39 PM
Hi, I have a Standard Poodle puppy. He is about 13 weeks old. We are trying to train him to always go to the bathroom in the same part of the yard. The problem is he really wants to go right outside of the door on the gravel beside our sidewalk, sometimes even on the sidewalk. We keep moving it from where he has gone to the place we want him to go and he still continues going right outside the door. Even when we go out with him and encourage him to go to the spot we want him to go, he would rather not. Does anyone have any suggestions on what we could do to encourage him to go in the spot we prefer? Also, we have to watch him like a hawk as he is not at all good at letting us know he needs to go out. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get him to "speak up" and let us know what that he needs to go out? I hung a bell at the back door that we make him ring every time he goes outside in hopes that if he needed to go he would go ring his bell, but he isn't quite understanding that yet. Thanks!

luckypenny
October 20th, 2007, 07:52 PM
Welcome Terrilynn01 :) .

Until your new pup learns the spot you've chosen for him to eliminate, he should be accompanied outdoors each and every time. When he does finally go, praise him profusely to encourage reinforcement. After much repetition and consistency, he'll catch on.

We have cowbells by our door as well. One of our dogs caught on immediately, another took several weeks, and yet another is just starting to get the hang of it after a couple of months. When I first introduced them to it, I rang the bell every time I opened the door (even when I went out with them). If they by some chance they just brushed against the bells unintentionally, I immediately went to open the door as well. This taught them to associate the ringing sound with the door being opened. Now if one of us two-legged kind hit the bells by accident, all three come charging the doorway :D .

luckypenny
October 20th, 2007, 07:57 PM
I just wanted to add...your new pup is still very young. Some take months to become fully housetrained. A no-fail method requires you to be patient, alert, extremely consistent, and full of praise when he's done right.

allymack
October 20th, 2007, 07:59 PM
my suggestion would be to take him to the spot where you want him to go and wait it out, watch him in the house and if he starts sniffing alot or going in a cirlce, take him out to the designated spot, also when he is doing his business give it a command like "be quick" (it will save you from waiting him out when its freezing out side) and make sure to praise him tons!, if your pup decideds not to go when you take him the to spot, walk him around a bit (in the designated area) i find that helps to get them to go quicker, hope this helps :)

white wrabbit
October 23rd, 2007, 01:55 PM
do you have gravel in the area you want him to go?