Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Slippery Elm

Tommysmom
October 20th, 2007, 08:04 PM
I see a lot of you recommending slippery elm for diarrhea/gastro type stuff. Tommy doesn't vomit a lot anymore, but you can tell he's still pretty nauseous a lot of the time; I think he's really growing out of whatever was wrong with him, but I'd like to help him feel even better if possible. His symptoms are very similar to IBD.

Is there a specific kind of slippery elm to use for dogs? Is it a power form, or a liquid? What would the dosage be? I've been googling it and found a ton of info, but nothing quite specific enough for doggies.

mummummum
October 20th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Tommysmom this http://www.littlebigcat.com/index.php?action=library&act=show&item=slipperyelm will give you a good idea about Slippery Elm in general and dosing. Just make sure to heed the warning about Slippery Elm and it's interference with other drugs.

For nausea you could also make Tommy a "dessert" of grated ginger (1/4" piece) cooked down with a grated apple into an apple sauce which you would feed him before his regular kibble.

Tommysmom
October 20th, 2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks, Mummummum :thumbs up! I think I'll give the ginger a try, too, I've never heard of that before. Practically the only symptom Tommy has left is the nausea, it would be great to just help him feel a bit more stable.

pitgrrl
October 20th, 2007, 10:09 PM
I thought it might be worth mentioning that I use a lot less than is recommended in that article with my crazy-weird-stomach dog:laughing: and still get noticeable results.

I was also told, by the holistic medicine practitioner who first recommended it to me that if it's being used for long periods of time one should give it one a 3 weeks on/1 week off schedule as it tends to collect in the intestines. She also mentioned that in the case of diarrhea one should mix about 1/3 tsp (probably less for a very small dog) with some spring water and feed aprox. every 3 hours throughout the day.

badger
October 20th, 2007, 10:11 PM
How do you know he's nauseous? Does he salivate, refuse food? Just wondering. Good luck with the slippery elm.

Tommysmom
October 20th, 2007, 10:42 PM
Badger, yeah, he salivates, smacks his lips, swallows, etc etc... we know for sure it's nausea because it's the same symptoms he used to have when he was vomiting every day. As he gets healthier/older/stronger most of the other symptoms have disappeared and he's not nauseous every minute of the day anymore, but he still is nauseous quite often. It's a vicious circle at this point - nausea = no eating, and no eating = more nausea. So, he has some days better than others, and he's doing really really well, but I thought I might just try to ease the nausea a wee bit. We're positive it will continue to improve as he ages, but I'd rather give him a bit more relief now if I can.

Pitgrrl... thanks for the dosing info! Has it really made a difference for you? It's so frustrating dealing with gastro type issues, can't seem to give the poor buggers any consistent relief. We're way better off than we were, but it's still sad to see when you KNOW somebody's tummy is bugging them and they can't tell you.

growler~GateKeeper
October 21st, 2007, 12:48 AM
Just wondering if his blood sugar has ever been tested? Some people (& I would think pets too) who have low blood sugar & have missed or been late eating would be a bit nauseous before eating to level out the sugars in the blood

good luck with Tommy :fingerscr

pitgrrl
October 21st, 2007, 01:29 PM
Pitgrrl... thanks for the dosing info! Has it really made a difference for you? It's so frustrating dealing with gastro type issues, can't seem to give the poor buggers any consistent relief. We're way better off than we were, but it's still sad to see when you KNOW somebody's tummy is bugging them and they can't tell you.

Honestly, I've found slippery elm to be extremely helpful in keeping things normal in the poop department, but not so much for nausea. I've had better luck with homeopathic remedies for nausea, and seen a connection to how frequently I feed (more often/smaller portions working better) and controlling water intake (again, smaller amounts more frequently instead of huge drinks).

I can totally sympathize with the constant strain of having a dog with GI issues though, especially when you know the dog is totally uncomfortable and there isn't anything you can do about it. I adore Streets more than I can describe, but his seemingly never ending GI problems are sometimes almost more than I can deal with because of how little I seem to be able to do about them.

If you do try the ginger thing mummummum suggested, please let us know how it works.

sugarcatmom
October 21st, 2007, 01:51 PM
For nausea, have you ever tried Pepcid AC? You might want to ask your vet about it. I don't know what a typical doggy-dose would be, but for cats it's 1/4 of a 10 mg pill twice a day (or 1/2, once a day).

Tommysmom
October 21st, 2007, 07:38 PM
Growler... yep, he's had every test known to man and dog, LOL. Sometimes the nausea is due to not eating, but sometimes it's just there, a symptom of his condition.

Pitgrrl, I'll let you know - I think I will try the ginger!

Sugarcatmom, we did have him on pepcid for a while, it works wonders! But he's not as bad as he used to be, and we didn't want to keep him on drugs forever. This condition is one he is gradually growing out of, and masking the symptoms with drugs makes it hard to see when he's getting better... but feeding him or supplementing with something is much healthier for him in the long run, I think.

Thanks for all the great suggestions, guys! We'll see how the ginger and slippery elm work out!