Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Doxie biting familiy members (chompers)

rjs21
October 20th, 2007, 07:00 PM
We have a 7 year old standard Doxie we raised from 8 weeks old. When we brought him home, we already had our children so he was raised with them. Just recently he has been acting very aggressively toward all members of the family EXCEPT my husband .. biting, growling. He is allowed on the furniture and when he is laying next to any of us and we get up to leave or do something, he'll attack. Latest incident was today where he bit my 16 year old son in the face resulting in 3 punctures the drew blood. He's also been urinating in the house (completely out of character). It isn't that he was startled when he does the biting. He's actually chased or approached one of us to bite and on the occasion of being on the furniture, he wasn't abruptly woken up either .. he was completely aware of action around him. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

badger
October 20th, 2007, 07:29 PM
I recommend that you take him to the vet, and without delay. Inappropriate urination is one of the signs of a urinary infection. The aggression may be a separate issue but if he is in pain, I'm betting it's a factor. Is he neutered? Any changes in his routine, new babies, new animals, moved house?

If he gets a clean bill of health, then it's behavioural, and you'll find lots of experienced people here to help you get him through.

luckypenny
October 20th, 2007, 07:40 PM
I'd recommend that you first take him to the vets (if this is sudden new behavior) to rule out any medical conditions, just in case. If he's fine, perhaps a consultation with an experienced behaviorist ought to be your next step. It does sound like dominance aggression however. Until you've made contact with qualified professionals, please be careful if you have younger children in your home.

allymack
October 20th, 2007, 08:08 PM
well first off you should take him to a vet, and secondly i wouldnt allow him on furniture , unless you invite him, so i would get him off the furniture, but be very carefull and not to get bitten. it does sounds like a dominance issue, and since dogs are pack animals they will follow a leader, or a more dominant person(or dog) so you must become the leader, and only the leader gets the best places to sleep/sit. also i would make him work for everything, like before you give him food, i would make him sit and stay for 10 seconds before allowing him to eat his food, also feed him after your done eating, when you walk him, he should be beside you, or atleast have no tension on his leash, if he comes to you looking for attention, dont give it to him, he can have all the attentionm you want to give, but it should be on your terms, so you start/choose when, and stop the affection when ever you want. and when you are around him try to stay calm and have an i am in charge attitude, because he will feel your energy since dogs pick up in things like that (or body movements). hope this helps, also be careful :)

SnowDancer
October 20th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Although my experience is with mini Dachshunds (they are a bit different) but not that much - I would get pup to vet as soon as possible - I fully expect there are health issues. If you had just recently adopted your dog, or he had just gone through puberty and started showing aggression, I would not be that surprised, but at his age and the fact that you adopted him at 8 weeks is worrisome when such behaviour is not the norm. Definitely the increased urination needs to be checked out and I would probably want a back and neck X-Ray (I always want a back/neck X-Ray with sadly good reason) - your dog could be experiencing back pain but it has not yet progressed. Please report back on how he is doing.

growler~GateKeeper
October 20th, 2007, 11:41 PM
I also think you should get your guy to the vet for a full blood panel & urinalysis - he is considered a senior dog now :). Being a doxie I also think neck/back/hip xrays should be done & have the vet closely examine his eyes too - night & periphrial vision are the first of the visions to go & may not be noticable until it gets worse. It may seem that he is aware of everyone but if his perphrial is gone/blurry he may react first to someone getting up beside him (which could also irritate sore joints) before be able to actually see it is family.

Good luck lets us know what the vet says :goodvibes:

rjs21
October 23rd, 2007, 07:56 PM
Thanks for the replies... getting an appt. to the vet..will keep you all posted
Ron