Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

New here, cat has worms

Cttennis
October 20th, 2007, 02:43 PM
Hi. I am new here, desperate for help. I am currently pregnant and discovered my cat has worms. She was laying on my daughter's lap and one was wiggling on my daughter's leg. Similar to a grain of rice. Through my research, I determined it to be tapeworm segment. I went to my local feed store and told them I needed a dewormer, which I have gotten there before. I explained the worm, but they weren't convinced it was tapeworm. The owner said you only get tapeworm from eating other animals, trash, etc. Since my 2 cats are strictly indoor cats, she didn't think that tapeworm is what she had. She said it was most likely roundworm because that is caused by ingesting an infected flea. So she sold me a liquid dewormer for roundworms and I treated both cats and all 3 dogs. (Being pregnant I want to take no chances) Through further research, it appears she was wrong-the tapeworm is caused by the flea, not the roundworm. So the wrong meds were given, and I don't know how long I have to wait to now give the cats, at least, the correct tapeworm meds, since I am still seeing evidence of tapeworms (dried rice like things in tail and on bedding). It has only been 5 days since the last wormer was given. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Winston
October 20th, 2007, 04:02 PM
CTtennis..I have 2 cats...when I first got them one of them had a tapeworm...looked like a sesame seed coming from the bum....I am pretty sure you cannot buy anything over the counter for the tapeworm but I could be wrong. I had to take mine in and give them a needle and it kills the worm. I was advised to give the needle to both of mine as they were kittens at the same age and I had just gotten both of them so to be sure my other didnt have it as well.

It also made them have a really great appetite!

Cindy
:thumbs up

NoahGrey
October 20th, 2007, 04:30 PM
Do you not have a vet to call and ask? I know at the shelter we wait aleast a month before doing a 2nd dosage. I would call a vet. You don't want to take a chance and getting the wrong meds again or giving a dosage to high for their wieght. When giving a dewormer, the dosage goes by weight. Same with flea medication.

ACO22

kiara
October 20th, 2007, 09:35 PM
The best thing to do is to take your cat to a vet., so that he can tell you what it is and prescribe the proper medication or administer a de-wormer. At the same time ask if it is contagious to your other pets and if they need de-worming too? Also ask how did the worms get there? Are you feeding your gang raw food? I don't think it is safe to do so, (my opinion). I don't know why pet shops are allowed to sell de-worming meds, or any other remedies? (TO MAKE MONEY!!!!!) I would never administer anything to my pets without at least first talking on the phone or seeing a vet !!!!

NoahGrey
October 21st, 2007, 12:45 PM
[QUOTE=kiara;492087] At the same time ask if it is contagious to your other pets and if they need de-worming too? [QUOTE]

If you have a mutipile cat household (or dogs) and one cat has worms, they all have worms. You will have to deworm them all.

ACO22

sugarcatmom
October 21st, 2007, 02:17 PM
Also ask how did the worms get there? Are you feeding your gang raw food? I don't think it is safe to do so, (my opinion).

Cats get tapeworm from fleas or from eating mice, not from eating properly sourced and prepared raw meat.

CESTODES: These worms are commonly referred to as tapeworms. Although there are many types of tapeworms, some of which can be a serious problem to both pets and man, those found in the Pacific Northwest cause little harm or inconvenience to dogs and cats. They are long, segmented worms that anchor themselves to the wall of the small intestine. They form segments (egg cases) that move down the bowel with feces. These segments, approximately 1/8 inch long and flat, come out with the feces and crawl about on the pets hair around the anus. They dry out and end up looking like a grain of brown rice. Once in the environment these desiccated egg cases crack open dispersing minute tapeworm eggs. The eggs are ingested by intermediate hosts (fleas and small mammals) and the lifecycle repeats itself. Some tapeworms can complete their lifecycle in less than two weeks! Control requires treatment of the pet, elimination of infected fleas and restriction of hunting activity. At WBVC we treat adult tapeworm infestations with Drontal Plus and support with flea control and client education.

Cttennis
October 22nd, 2007, 11:35 PM
Thank you all for responding. I talked to the vet today and they said to go ahead and give the tapeworm tabs to the kitties. I don't feed them anything but dry food and fancy feast. They don't go outside and don't have any fleas that I have found. I went back to the feed store and told them they sold me the wrong medicine and gave me the wrong information. The tapeworm is caused by an infected flea, or rodent. They said that is what they were told (?) and have been telling their customers that for years..SCARY! I told them they can go on the internet and research it. It also says it right on the tapeworm tab bottle. I guess I should have read it myself. Thank you all for your help. Hopefully this works. I know I posted in the wrong place, sorry for my ignorance.:thumbs up:thumbs up

missmun52
November 8th, 2007, 04:26 PM
She was laying on my daughter's lap and one was wiggling on my daughter's leg. Similar to a grain of rice. Through my research, I determined it to be tapeworm segment.

From what I have learned about tape worms in micro. the segment should not be alive and wiggling. It is a segment from the worm that has eggs in it, the worm does not come out just the segement with the eggs. If what you saw was alive and wiggling and only the size of a rice grain I am guessing its not tape worm. I could be incorrect as I took this class this summer and sold my book back so I cant double check it now. I have seen them in the lab but I also studied many worms.

i know this was a while ago but did you tell the vet the worm you saw was alive? I am no cat pro but I have studied parasites and have learned that you want to make sure they are gone as you can get them as well as your child. I would suggest taking a stool sample to the vet to make sure all is well if you are going to self medicate the cat using over the counter stuff.

I am now going through this with my cat (roundworms). I found out what type of worm they were by taking in a stool sample. The vet told me to disinfect everything because I have a toddler that puts everything in his mouth. i have just finished cleaning my house with a weak bleach solution carpets and all and will start his meds tonight as he stays in one room.

let us know how everything went.

badger
November 8th, 2007, 04:54 PM
Sounds more like hookworm to me. After seeing them romping in my cat's stool, I took a sample to the vet and he saw NOTHING. This has happened to me twice.
You need a drug called Drontal. I don't know what they sell at the feed store but I'm betting it isn't for cats.