Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

rymadil and Pano

gsdlove
October 20th, 2007, 09:25 AM
My 5 1/2mos old German Shepherd has pano. I'd like an alternate holistic solution. Does anyone have one? I understand glucosamine/chondroitin but what dosage would you give? I've heard the side effects from rymadil are nasty and may, on occasion, cause death!:shrug:

Dracko
October 20th, 2007, 01:16 PM
My GSD was diagnosed with Pano at about the same age. I used the drug for flare ups. Fortunately he didn't have many, though they were painful you could tell.

I wouldn't use the GLS/Chondroitin but rather Celadrin as the GLS/Chondroitin is mainly indicated for cartiliage problems, which Pano isn't. The Celadrin does have the same action for cartiliage repair but also acts as an anti-inflammatory for soft tissue inflammation, which is more what you are dealing with. I also give Dracko an Omega 3 supplement to deal with the inflammation and a product called Zymactive when he has flare ups or it appears he might. It contains a product called Serrapeptase also known as Serratia Peptase that is very good for inflammation.

As it turns out Dracko was misdiagnoised and they now believe he has Rheumatoid Arthritis, but essentially still not a "cartiliage" disorder so the same supplements are helpful.

Just my suggestion...

mummummum
October 20th, 2007, 06:53 PM
Arnica may help with inflammation and pain management but I wouldn't necessarily discount allopathic medicines like Rimadyl for those times when pain is severe specially since pano (panosteitis aka growing pains/ wandering limb lameness) is a self-limiting problem which he should grow out of in time.

Given that he should be through this within a few months, I think the short-term use of an NSAID and it's side effects is outweighed in favour of having a growing pup who is pain-free, able to exercise, enjoy his meals and sleep well. If you are worried about Rimadyl specifically, perhaps speak to your Vet about a different NSAID.