Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Cat misjudges jumps, falls from perches

gypsyrain
October 19th, 2007, 11:26 PM
I was hoping someone might be able to shed some light. My cat, Gypsy, is between 2 and 3 years old. She is strictly an indoor cat, like my other cat, Sugar. Both cats have been fixed, are up to date on all vaccinations and check ups, and both have been de-clawed - front paws only. Both cats are a bit clumsy lately, but I believe Sugar is simply becoming over excited when she slips and falls. (She is always very excited to see me and this is always when she slips and falls.) Gypsy, on the other hand, falls and slips and misjudges her jumps on a fairly regular basis. If she is not over shooting her mark, she is barely making the jump and usually tearing up my leg in the process. She also has a tendency to fall off of shelves and tables, particularly when she is falling asleep. She doesn't seem to be hurting herself in her falls but I am wondering why she seems to be having this problem. The cats have been de-clawed for almost two years, so this is not a recent change and does not explain this recent lack of coordination. Both cats seem to be very healthy. They have become a bit persnickety about their food and water. Gypsy prefers to try to sneak a drink from my glass over drinking from her water bowl. I keep that freshened daily and have tried adding a very small amount of ice to her bowl thinking she wanted my drink because of the ice. Now I have decided she prefers sweet tea over water, maybe. Anyway, that may be entirely unrelated. She is behaving like her normal bratty and loving self...still trying to steal food from my plate and demanding my full attention at all times.

I guess it is possible that she is simply not a very graceful cat, but wanted to be sure that this was not a symptom of any potential problems. :shrug: Thank you in advance for any input you might be able to provide.

krdahmer
October 20th, 2007, 01:04 AM
It is possible that she is just clumsy... I have one of those. But it could also be a problem with her sight (like cataracts, they can get those young- also have one with that, he's only 3) or something like an inner ear infection. If it continues or gets worse you may want to get her in to a vet just to get her looked over.

growler~GateKeeper
October 20th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Has the vet throughly checked their eyes for signs of cataracts/blindness? It is not just an old age disease.

The other thing is Gypsy who falls off things when she's asleep is not all that uncommon - my mum had a cat who regularly fell off his sleeping perch especially if it was a narrow window ledge or he was too close to the edge of the top of the TV :rolleyes:

I would look into having your vet exam their eyes closely first then discuss other explainations. It is possible they have a less aware sense of perception but I would look into the possible medical side first :)

keep us updated :)

gypsyrain
October 20th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Oh, wow. :eek: I had no idea that cats could get cataracts while they were young. I will contact my vet on Monday to set up an appointment for a check up. Thank you for the advice.

krdahmer
October 20th, 2007, 12:17 PM
You can see the cataracts yourself if they are bad enough. If you look into the black part of your cats eye in the light (not shining it in their eye of course) you will see a slight Y pattern almost yellowish in colour, thats how I found Fagan's. And they don't always need surgery for them, he is fine so far, and the vet described it as us wearing bifocals, he just sees a line and so sometimes misjudges distance. Best of luck at the vets!! :grouphug: