Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

sorry I was away

CyberKitten
October 19th, 2007, 09:23 PM
Just wanted to let you now I was sick for a bit - yeah, it's true, doctors make the worst patients, lol I was visting my dad in the hospital (ie the "Adult place, lol) and it was suggested I visit the ER and lo and behold, they kept me, sigh!! I am usually the one who one of the last resort people to be able to find recalcitrant veins (which I have so I know how good it is to have someone who can find a vein on the 1st try - you know the old joke we doctors and nurses and lab techs have to put up with, you can tell us because we are checking out your veins to see how good they are, :D)
I have another ulcer - seeing too many children die I guess will do that to you, not to mention all my memories of my work with Doctors without Borders One feels so helpless and hopeless and while I do talk about it, it does literally eat away at me. I survived one partial gastrectomy (removal of 2/3 of my stomach) so I hope to keep the rest of it. But it's not cancer, I am back to work - there are so few oncologists , I can barely take time off to "be" sick!) So, I am having difficulty eating and my electrolytes are out of whack and my sats are awful (another issue but related too pain - I do not take as much pain meds as I should since I don't think one wants a surgeon on pain meds!) .However, I am coming around and will be back to work Monday morning.

I do know I work too hard, take things too seriously, get upset too easily but that's who I am. I want all my patients to live and fight for every last breath and plan to keep doing that!!

The nurese and docs at the big hospital were excellent - tho they would not allow me to take my own blood and me a board certified hematologist, snicker!! That said, the excellent nurse who saw my veins as a challenge got it on the 2nd try so she is welcome in my OR or floor any time if she tires of the ER. <g>

Hope all is well with everyone!

CyberKitten
October 19th, 2007, 09:25 PM
My dad is facing complications- an inflamed pancreas so his surgery is delayed again,. He is getting bored but doing well otherwise. I worry though since his age and the complication preOP are worrisome.

Pls say a few prayers for him. He's a good man!! (The nurses all love him tho he teases them ans tells them "you women won't leave me alone", lol ) I don't think he says that to the male RN's tho, hmmmmm... lol

mummummum
October 19th, 2007, 09:43 PM
Sorry to hear you're not feeling up to snuff CK and hope that you and your Pop will be on the mend soon ~ being sick is NO fun at all!

luckypenny
October 19th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Nice to see you back CK :) . How are you feeling?

Dads, huh? What a sense of humor your's has! I'm glad he's in such positive spirits.

CyberKitten
October 19th, 2007, 10:04 PM
Thanks so much for the kind thoughts. I have felt better admittedly tho I worry more about my dad - yeah, he is an A1 character, an almost typical Irishman sometimes, lol That will probably help him through this, I hope!!

breeze
October 19th, 2007, 10:10 PM
CK I'm sorry to hear that you have been ill but I am very happy that you are on the mend..
I hope you dad is on the mend soon also...

:grouphug::grouphug::goodvibes::goodvibes: for you to improve with each passing day :)

Boubou
October 19th, 2007, 10:12 PM
Been wondering where you'd been! I was thinking you were off somewhere nice 'celebrating' your engagement!"

It must be so hard to be feeling so yucky and still hold down such a responsible job.

Glad your back - hope next week is not too hard on you!

growler~GateKeeper
October 20th, 2007, 12:08 AM
Sorry to hear you've been feeling bad :grouphug: Hope your health turns the corner quickly, so many young ones need :angel2:s like you :goodvibes:

Hope your Dad proves he's as strong as the infamous Irish Temper we all seem to have :D :goodvibes:

rainbow
October 20th, 2007, 01:34 AM
CK, you are one exceptional doctor. :thumbs up You're allowed to get sick just like the rest of us and you have to remember to "follow your own advise". Take care and get well soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes: And, lots of good wishes for your dad. :grouphug: :goodvibes:

susieqt
October 21st, 2007, 12:10 AM
So sorry you are feeling unwell, Cyberkitten. Please, take your time to be well and go slow, or you won't be able to help the sick children properly!

Frenchy
October 21st, 2007, 12:27 AM
Oh CK , I just saw this thread ! I'm so sorry ! How are you feeling today ? Speedy recovery , take care of yourself , try to find some time to relax. :grouphug:

CyberKitten
October 21st, 2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks for all the good thoughts. I wish I could say I felt better but I am still weaker than I want to be.

TeriM
October 21st, 2007, 06:29 PM
Take care of yourself CK. We need our doctors (and pets.ca posters) to be happy and healthy! I am always impressed with your dedication to your patients but remember that you can't help them if you don't stay healthy :goodvibes:.