Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

SPCA Dogs ??

Winston
October 19th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Okay maybe I am here just to rant a little..I dont understand this scenario...We have how many thousands of dogs in rescue already between SPCA's, private homes, shelters etc...Here in Hamilton the SPCA has a few dogs....All of a sudden there is this media blitz about 80 Katrina dogs arriving from Louisianna! and they were being saved from euthanasia I fully understand that! So once they arrive ...lots of attention..the first night they adopted out 37 dogs?????? Hello!! where were these people before? how come all of a sudden there are 37 people in Hamilton that want to adopt all in one night? Where were those 37 people when it comes to all of the other SPCA's, and shelters? I find it frustrating! What do we have to do to help get the other dogs still sitting in shelters a home? Is it the media?

Please dont take it the wrong way here I am not bashing the fact of where the dogs are from either because I do understand that we saved their lives! What I dont understand is what motivated these people? what will happen to some of these poor dogs? were the homes picked suitably? they arrived off of a truck put inside a cage inside the SPCA and then sent to a knew home potentially all on one day?

Cindy
:sad:

poodletalk
October 19th, 2007, 02:54 PM
I understand your point completely Winston. There's an animal food store in my area who's hosting a bakesale to pay for dogs coming from Beirut. I am happy these dogs are being saved from a war torn country, but what about the animals in their own neighbourhood?

This is the same neighbourhood where my friend lives who has teriminal brain cancer, SHE needs money for food and homes for her animals and many people know her but no one is hosting her a bake sale or offering to put her animals up for adoption.

I think it's great that people are helping out in other countries, but at the same time I think they should look around them and realize people and animals in their own neighbourhood need help too.

wdawson
October 19th, 2007, 04:12 PM
i think they needed to send them somewhere.....can't really put them up for adoption there......and they have been working on getting them here for months.....i give a big :thumbs up for the hamilton\burlington spca....just imagine how many other places they have tried to place them at:sad:...150 dogs came hamilton took 80 and the rest went to cambridge and windsor...so a :thumbs up too them also.

Winston
October 19th, 2007, 04:39 PM
i think they needed to send them somewhere.....can't really put them up for adoption there......and they have been working on getting them here for months.....i give a big :thumbs up for the hamilton\burlington spca....just imagine how many other places they have tried to place them at:sad:...150 dogs came hamilton took 80 and the rest went to cambridge and windsor...so a :thumbs up too them also.

Actually dont take it wrong! I give them a big thumbs up! Actually we did a drive for them this week for newspaper, blankets, towels, food and any other items animal related this week from my office...We actually filled one of the animal control officers trucks up with everything to help them out!! They were extremely happy! It is the people that came out of now where!! I find it odd thats all! Perhaps some more attention to the other rescues and maybe there will be more adoptions! and I also think it is great that we could save these dogs!!!!

Cindy

wdawson
October 19th, 2007, 07:21 PM
I hear ya.....the spca needs more exposure , of the animals they have , the media needs to help with that,imo.

mastifflover
October 20th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Hats off to them for saving these dogs. My only worry is 37 in one night how many are going to be coming back because it was an impulse decision to save a dog. Bet nobody thought about the work involved, if they really were serious they would not mind waiting for a day or so to check them out and actually for them to make sure this is the right thing for them to do. If not maybe just make a donation and know you still made a difference.

NoahGrey
October 20th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Sorry, But I feel we should help our community animals first. Look at all the people who jump at the chance to adopt a louisanna dog..but won't for a dog that is from their community. It's sad really.

These dogs should have been placed in US shelters, giving the owners the opportunity to find their dogs.

I wonder how many of our community dogs had to be put down, in order to make space for the Louisanna dogs.

ACO22

wdawson
October 20th, 2007, 03:03 PM
hamilton\burlington is no kill.....they had very few dogs.....and i'm sure they tried placing them in the usa,plus with all the devestation and people still homeless....its sad to say but the lost pet is really the last thing on their minds i'm sure:sad:....so i think this was the right move. it also worked in a reverse situation when bsl came to ontario....pit puppy was too be put down....sent to new york....and remember neville ontarios cast off when bsl hit us....a us border guard dog.

NoahGrey
October 20th, 2007, 03:14 PM
[QUOTE=wdawson;491997]hamilton\burlington is no kill.[QUOTE]

Sorry Hamiltion/burlington puts down. I work for a humane society and have been told that they put down quite alot of animals. It's the Burlington humane society that is a no kill and they are not assoicated with Ontario spca or the Hamilton/Burlington spca.

ACO22

wdawson
October 20th, 2007, 03:19 PM
hamilton\burlington spca are working together....no kill.....hamilton animal control is kill.....and they are not sharing the same building as of the new year.

NoahGrey
October 20th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Yes, they are working together. They still put animals down. The Burlington Humane Society is a no kill. They are totally different organziations. They are not assoicated or afficated with each other. I know that Hamilton AC puts down. Actually HAC can put down up to 50 cats a day.

ACO22

wdawson
October 20th, 2007, 03:40 PM
yes i know about them ....formally animal aid.

Frenchy
October 20th, 2007, 06:12 PM
Sometimes people are not 100% they should adopt ... and then they hear about things like these and they take the plunge. I think it might get the other dogs at this SPCA to get adopted too. People will go and take a look , might fall in love with a dog that's already there.

luckypenny
October 20th, 2007, 07:04 PM
Just a 'FYI.' According to Hamilton/Burlington SPCA's annual report, less than 2% of dogs are euthanized yearly due to severe medical or behavioral reasons. I'm assuming this is probably the case for most "no-kill" shelters.

http://www.hamiltonspca.com/themes/spca1/pdfs/spca_report_06.pdf

Edit to add.... I'm pretty impressed that they at least provide some of their statistics to the general public.