Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Too many prescription meds?

jesse's mommy
October 19th, 2007, 11:41 AM
So, our little wigglebum has done something to her eye so of course, off to the vet we go. We woke up this morning and her right eye was just about swollen shut and very goopy around it (almost wet like she's been crying). We have no idea what she has done, it's just swollen. We went to the vet and they examined her and put a dye in her eye to make sure her cornea is in tact, has no scratches and make sure there aren't any foreign objects in there. Fortunately everything is fine with the eye itself, but we still don't know what has caused the swelling. Anyway, $200 later we walk away with a ton of medications (actually $140 of the bill was her prescription :eek:). So my question, does this seem like a lot of prednisone or is it me? We've never had Jesse on Prednisone so I really don't know anything about it. I know it can be hard on their organs if there is prolonged use, but that's about it. Should I be concerned on this amount?

Here are the instructions given to us:

Prednisone 5 mg tablets
-- 3 tablets orally twice daily for 4 days
-- 2 tablets orally once daily for 4 days
-- 2 tablets orally every other day for 7 days

Clavamox 375 mg
-- 1 tablet twice daily for 14 days

Trithalmic Ophthalmic Ointment
-- Apply ointment three times a day until finished

jillm
October 19th, 2007, 12:23 PM
not really answering your question, but i am an ophthalmic nurse, and i know prednisolone should always be given on a reducing dose which yours has, and if the oinment which sounds similar to the human version, is an antibiotic ointment this is usually for eye infections, hope this helps:grouphug: and Jesse better soon

jesse's mommy
October 19th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Thanks Jill. I appreciate it. Now the fun begins trying to get her to take the pills. Cheese worked earlier. :laughing:

CyberKitten
October 19th, 2007, 06:26 PM
I 2nd what Jill advised you and wish you lick in admistering said medication!! Good luck!!! :grouphug:

Winston
October 19th, 2007, 06:44 PM
jesse mommy! I have had Winston on a similiar dosage! its not great for them but does seem to clear up an awful lot of things! one thing to remember is that it makes them really thirsty and the have to pee more frequently.....I also have a friend that it makes her boy a little more on the iritable side..

hope her eye is better soon!

Cindy

growler~GateKeeper
October 20th, 2007, 12:58 AM
Glad to hear there was no damage to Jesses' eye <phew> Good luck with the giving of the meds :fingerscr & speedy healing Jesse - we want to see your purrty face healed up real soon :goodvibes:

rainbow
October 20th, 2007, 01:08 AM
Poor Jesse. :sad: I've never had this problem either but I hope she is back to being her normal 'ever-so-cute' self soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes: