Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Did anyone watch Fat Pets night on Animal Planet?

ancientgirl
October 19th, 2007, 10:35 AM
I was appalled by some of these people.

The night started off with It's Me or the Dog. I watch this show when I can, because I think the woman, Victoria something, has some good tips for training. Even though I don't have a dog, you never know, someday I may. Anyway, she had 3 people who had very overweight dogs. Many of which were overweight because they were fed too many scraps and regular human food.

What really bothered me was all of these people fed their dogs chocolate on a regular basis! They had no idea how toxic it can be to them.

Now come on, I've had cats when I was younger, but I never had them long enough to really get to know much about them. But when I got Vlad who I brought home before I got Oksana, I immediately started looking online to make sure I knew what was safe for them to eat. Even if you don't have a computer, you ask your vet about it. These people had no clue!

Thankfully Victoria managed to make them see the light, and by the end of the show, time had elapsed enough that we saw all three dogs that were shown lost a significant amount of weight and were on their way to being healthy active dogs.

Then after that show, there was another show from the UK. Basically showing 3 pets. Three dogs and one cat. The cat had a metabolism problem, who they were able to get under control by the end of the show. The other two dogs owners were also educated by the vet as to how to help their pets and stop giving them treats and too much food.

But the woman who absolutely made me want to crawl through the TV and slap her silly was the worst! She was a former nurse who lost her job because of some nervous disorder. Her dog was a beautiful Rottweiler(sp?) that weight a whopping 200+ pounds! She didn't even look like a dog, she looked like a pig. She feeds the dog 16 pounds of food every 2 or 3 days plus snacks in between. Her reasoning is, she can't have kids so she's the daughter she never had, and whatever she wants she gets.

She almost got into a physical fight at the pet groomers because the groomer tried to tell her it wasn't healthy for her dog to be that overweight.

I'm sorry, I just can't wrap my brain around people like this. She thought that because a person can weight 200 pounds and be relatively healthy, so can a dog. :frustrated:

Hey, I'm guilty of giving my two treats, but I know the limit. Vlad weighs a good 11-12 pounds, and he's got a little pooch flap, but he's not fat. He's got a waist, and Oksana weighs all of 6 or 7 pounds and she's a trim little thing. I've even been thinking of limiting the kibbles I leave them throughout the day while I'm gone. 1. because I don't want them to get fat and 2. I have a developing ant problem. But I could never turn a blind eye and not realize if they were overweight and needed to lose some pounds.

These people say they love their pets, yet they refuse to believe they are killing them with all that "love".:frustrated:

Frenchy
October 20th, 2007, 05:51 PM
I don't have Animal Planet anymore.... but I know what you mean. When I picked up Sam at the shelter (he was 8 yr old at the time) my jaw dropped .... I had never seen such a big golden. He has trouble walking because of this. I was able to make him loose some weight but it's real hard. It is a form of neglect, to let your animal gain so much weight. It's a shame. :sad:

ancientgirl
October 20th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Well, one of the Rott's had to have surgery on one of his hind legs, because it buckled under the weight he was carrying around, and the other leg was close to doing the same.

They have to realize that their pets quality of life suffers.

krdahmer
October 20th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I actually had to get rid of animal planet because some of the shows upset me so much.... the stupidity and cruelty of some owners... it drives me nuts. :frustrated: Some shows I would just sob most of the way through and then just be angry the rest of the night. And I just hope that some of the owners that would benefit from those 'reality check' type shows are actually springing for the good cable!:rolleyes:

want4rain
October 20th, 2007, 07:59 PM
i watched that months ago. Chris and i just sat here with our jaws on the floor. totally amazing.

-ashley

ancientgirl
October 20th, 2007, 08:00 PM
Believe me, I cry through a lot of those shows. But I do find some hope when I watch those shows too. As much as I feel sometimes that people are horrible, at least I see that there are people who love animals so much. At least I know that there are some of us out there.

ancientgirl
October 20th, 2007, 08:49 PM
i watched that months ago. Chris and i just sat here with our jaws on the floor. totally amazing.

-ashley

I just couldn't believe that one woman. After I saw that I couldn't help but wonder if that poor dog was still even alive. Stupid woman!

mummummum
October 20th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Sounds more like she's feeding her own neuroses and excusing it under the guise of "loving" her dog.

ancientgirl
October 21st, 2007, 08:35 AM
You're most likely right. There was another woman on the program who was doing the same thing, but she saw the light. By the end of the show, it showed he'd lost a lot of weight and he looked so good and happy.

Love4himies
October 22nd, 2007, 12:02 PM
I don't watch these shows because I would get much too upset and like you ancientgirl, would want to go through the television screen and slap these owners silly. This is not love for a pet, because if you love a pet, you want what is best for it and keep it healthy.

Overeating just seems to be an epidemic these days.

A 200lb rottie :eek:, don't think I have ever seen the likes.

ancientgirl
October 22nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
Yes, the program said overweight pets is an epidemic in the UK. But I do agree, it seems to be a problem everywhere.

I could have just cried for that poor dog. She really did look so unhealthy, and it made me sad to see all of the people looking at her and laughing. :sad:

Riluke
October 23rd, 2007, 08:25 AM
. Her reasoning is, she can't have kids so she's the daughter she never had, and whatever she wants she gets.

If she had a daughter would she feed her until she weighed 200 lbs?? Probably

want4rain
October 23rd, 2007, 08:39 AM
If she had a daughter would she feed her until she weighed 200 lbs?? Probably

:yell: so many people do!!! all the time!!

my daughter comes home and tells me that 'the other girls in her class are packing their own lunches. J*****e had marshmallows for lunch and still did good on her spelling test'

gawd... please dont get me started on dumb parents....

-ashley

Riluke
October 23rd, 2007, 08:42 AM
:

my daughter comes home and tells me that 'the other girls in her class are packing their own lunches. J*****e had marshmallows for lunch and still did good on her spelling test'

-ashley

Maybe that's what I need a diet of marshmellow's..lol.
I agree it is a pet peeve of mine as well. My son is a little scrap but he eats like a horse ..i just make sure what he eats is healthy. I do the same for my pets. Common sense that some people seem to lack.

want4rain
October 23rd, 2007, 08:54 AM
yeah, Cailyn eats well. i just started 'making' yogurt for her. instead of getting the sugary stuff (or god, the atomic blue stuff) ive been putting plain yogurt and lots of frozen fruit (keeps it cold all morning) together. im surprised she likes it!!
anyways, i could talk all day long on how folks dont feed veggies 'cause they dont like it' and send them to school with Doritos 'cause its fortified!'... and we are perilously close to thread jacking. :)

-ashley

ancientgirl
October 23rd, 2007, 09:22 AM
LOL, it's crazy that these people treat their kids like that. I think some people just should not be allowed to care for another living being. They just shouldn't. Children and pets really are practically the same kind of responsibility. And you have to care for them in very similar ways.

A child doesn't know what's best for them, just like your pet, so its up to you to know.