Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My dog attacks he's penis..WHY??

Junkielove
October 18th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Hello All,
I adopted a pit Bull puppy from the SPCA. He's 4 months old and cute as hell :)! Anyways my problem is he attacks he's penis, whines and bites at it. And well as gross as it sounds humps and masturbates himself. I have never seen this in my whole life of having dogs. I took him to the vet and they had no idea what is causing him to do this. She said he was in good health and growing good. So if anyone has any ideas on either what is wrong or how to stop him from doing this, pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee tell me!

And again sorry for the graphic details, but this is really causing me to worry. :(

Thanks,
Falon and Caesar

badger
October 18th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Is he neutered? That may be the first step. I would also see another vet, this is not normal and your dog is obviously suffering.

Junkielove
October 18th, 2007, 09:41 PM
No he isn't neutered. The vet told me to hold off untill he is 10-11 months, i guess if you neuter a bigger dog to early they grow taller than they should which causes more problems when they are older. I gotta take him for he's shots at the end of the month, so i will try and see a different vet.

goober
October 18th, 2007, 10:58 PM
:wall:just when you think youve heard everything "GROWING TALLER THAN THEY SHOULD" :frustrated:waw thats one i havent heard !, see another vet and get him neutered

pitgrrl
October 19th, 2007, 07:46 AM
:wall:just when you think youve heard everything "GROWING TALLER THAN THEY SHOULD" :frustrated:waw thats one i havent heard !, see another vet and get him neutered

Since early neuter prolongs the closure of growth plates it does result in a slightly taller dog than that dog may have otherwise been. I could post articles written on the topic, but really, who gives a hoot? There are so many reasons to neuter that in most instances they're going to win out. My question is why did the SPCA adopt out an intact dog?

Junkielove, have you and/or the vet taken a good look at his penis? Could there be something like dirt/hair/grass/etc. which is irritating him?

Love4himies
October 19th, 2007, 07:56 AM
Are you in Ontario, if so all SPCA branches should be spaying/neutering pets before adoptions, unlike SPCA affiliates (Humane Societies) have the option.

Junkielove
October 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM
He wasn't neutured before adoption cuz he had came in 1-2 days prior to me adopting him. Sooo they didnt get a chance, but i had paid for it as part of the adoption fee, but I dont wanna get him neutured too early cuz i don't want him to have any troubles down the line.
The vet never examined he's penis, she just felt it and around the area and said there was no problems. She thought it was maybe a behavioural issue. Well when he is "masturbating" himself and has it "hanging out" you can't help but go my god! It doesnt appear to be bright red, it's pinkish. But he does have this strange ball at the end of he's shaft, and welp i'm not sure if thats he's own ball or what..lol.. I feel like a perv writing this..lol.

So should I chance future issues and get him neutured asap instead of waiting till he's 10-11 months? Or could this just be some weird puppy behaviour?

want4rain
October 19th, 2007, 05:52 PM
you are also crating behavoral issues you will have to fix later downt he road by not neutering him now. id strongly suggest getting it done now. :) make sure they take his balls out!!

-ash

goober
October 20th, 2007, 01:54 AM
so what if neuter will cause SLIGHTLY taller dog (there is some contraversy still on that) is waiting worth the health problems as well as what this poor dog is going through right naw. honestly for a SLIGHTLY TALLER DOG
get this dog fixed.........