Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat pheromones? + behavioural/general care question

waste of paint
October 18th, 2007, 10:24 AM
Maybe I'm crazy, but I'm pretty sure I remember reading something about being able to buy cat pheromone air freshener plug-in type things to help calm kitties down...does anyone know where I could get one of these (in Montreal)?

Lennon is at the vet's right now getting checked out for a UTI (I had to leave him overnight) because he was peeing on bathmats and towels if they were left within his reach, but this week he also started peeing in the dirty laundry bin. He started doing this before I took in Tommy (the kitten) but it has gotten worse since then so I think he might be a little bit stressed out. The vet said that if it's not a physical problem, the can put him on psychiatric meds. I am definitely not keen on that idea, as I a) don't want to drug up my cat when he's acting completely normal otherwise, b) want to try more holistic options, and c) can't afford it!

I threw out the disposable litterbox that Tommy was using a couple of days ago, and I only got around to buying a new one yesterday. Hopefully that will help (I have a studio apartment so I can't really have the ideal 3 litterboxes for two cats). I have been using really cheap litter for a couple of weeks and it's stinky no matter how much I clean so I bought some Swheat Scoop. I have the Swheat Scoop in one box and the regular litter in the other so he can take his pick when he gets home.

I am giving him lots of attention (as per usual) and feeding Eagle Pack Holistic Select dry food and Wellness canned. I don't know what else to do but feel free to critique my routine or offer advice because I really want to provide the best care that I possibly can for these guys and make sure that Lennon isn't acting out because he's unhappy. :(

krdahmer
October 18th, 2007, 10:26 AM
I think you mean Feliway.... you could call around to see if anyone carries it.

waste of paint
October 18th, 2007, 10:31 AM
Ohhh that's what Feliway is! I even saw the other topic but didn't realize. The pet store near me didn't know what I was talking about so I guess I'm off to study the Yellowpages.

krdahmer
October 18th, 2007, 10:55 AM
Looks like Plattsburg is the closest PetSmart. You could buy it online too... maybe even find a deal.

Oh and here is a thread for you...
http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=44566

waste of paint
October 18th, 2007, 03:54 PM
Thank you, krdahmer! I checked on ebay and it's really expensive. I do go to Plattsburgh every few weeks so maybe I can get it cheaper there.

Lennon is still not back from the vet. Apparently he hasn't peed yet. I'm really worried about him. :sad:

badger
October 18th, 2007, 04:16 PM
I called a Petsmart in Ontario and they carried pheromone products (although not Feliway) but they don't do mail order. However, they told me I could order off the Petsmart Website.

http://www.petsmart.com/search/index.jsp?kw=pheromone

Hope your Lennon is OK :fingerscr