Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

our katie

katiekat
October 17th, 2007, 10:56 PM
inserted are some pic of the cyst katie has near her back end underneath, it has gotten bigger , size of a toonie, n hangs down its not hard or anything like that , since her last visit to the vets, it doesnt bother or hurt her, the vet said it would be 300 f:or xrays n 300 for blood work, but there still not sure if it could tell us what it is, my husband n i are both on disabuility pensions and cant keep running back n forth when there not even sure of what the thing is. im concerned that even if they cut it off it may spread inside her. i know this pictures are gross, but i didnt know what else to do n my sister suggested trying this. we love both our dogs , but im scared and another visit to the vets is at least 60 dollars again. can you tell me anything of what it could be, i realize its a long shot. thank you suzanne:
i tried to send pics but cant seem to get them through.. im new at this:sorry::shrug::confused:

mummummum
October 17th, 2007, 11:09 PM
You might find this helpful re posting pix.

http://www.pets.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=24118

Has your Vet taken a needle aspiration of the cyst or a biopsy yet ? That would normally be a first step rather than a xray. Bloodwork is also crucial in the event that the cyst shows itself to be something other than benign.

growler~GateKeeper
October 17th, 2007, 11:14 PM
$300 for blood work is an astronomical amount :eek: For my 16 yr old cat I pay around $170 tax incl for full geriatric blood tests & urine tests & that incl the blood/urine collection fees

and for a large dog to have his back/hips xrayed incl kennel fee & taxes I paid less than $200 so $300 for a cat is too high in my opinion

I think it's time for you to shop around for a new vet :)

to include pics click on the manage attachments button below the reply box - the pics must be less than 100k in size, you can check the photography forum for tips

welcome to the board :)

Love4himies
October 18th, 2007, 07:55 AM
$300 is a lot if you are only checking for health issues in blood, I paid $300 for a detailed wellness profile (includes all blood counts, mineral counts, bun, cre, alb, etc.), comunicable diseases such as FIV, and a seperate thyroid test which need to be sent out for results (he was an adopted stray from SPCA).

Phone around vets can charge very different fees for the same thing.

ancientgirl
October 18th, 2007, 09:55 AM
I don't know about the x-rays, but when I took Oksana in for a check, we discussed possible blood work if she kept getting parasites in her tummy, and the blood work was only $40. You might want to call around to other offices and see what the going charge is. I'm guessing the bulk of that $300 is for the x-rays though.