Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Fleas, Fleas, Fleas

lm9012
October 17th, 2007, 11:47 AM
So I picked up my latest foster last night from the vets where the rescue group had left her for me. ADORABLE Aussie Sheperd/Beagle mix girl. They told me she had a bad case of fleas, that you can see them on her. I took her home, gave her a good bath with regular doggie shampoo..the nurses there said not to bother with flea baths. I took her for a long walk and played with her outside but inside she had to go straight to the crate. I have my own dog and he's not on any flea/tick preventative. We live in the city, and he just doesn't need it.

It was late by the time I got her home so I couldn't really examine her. This morning I didn't have too much time either before heading out to work. THey gave me a dose of Frontline that I put on her this morning before putting her back in the crate. :sad: I played with her a little this morning. She is so playful and did NOT want to go in there after being stuck there all night.

I spoke to the rescue group and they said they gave her a round of Advantage before they went in to the vet, then I gave her a dose of Frontline this morning. So that she should be good now.

I know nothing about fleas..please help..what do I look for? How do I know when she is 'clean'? Do they just die and fall off? Or should I brush her? I don't want to keep her seperate for too long..she was in a high kill shelter and I want her to be super comfy while we find her forever home..I also want to be able to test her temperment with other dogs..my dog and a friend's dog. But I don't want to endanger anyone else. Is it safe for me to pet her, cuddle with her? help guys!

Thank you!

Love4himies
October 17th, 2007, 12:24 PM
My cats had fleas when they returned to Ontario from Alberta and it took only one day after applying one does of flea treatment. Both my cats were light colours so it was easy for me to look through their fur for flea poop. Don't know what happened to the fleas, just know it only took one day and they disappeared. Didn't have to comb them.

Chicklet
October 17th, 2007, 01:08 PM
Advantage, First time I ever used the stuff was about 10 yrs ago,
was a horrible summer for fleas, Never had so many of them in my house in my entire life, Didn't matter what I did, I bathed my dog everyday in the flea shampoo, it was like I never shampooed him, It was awful, Finally I called the vet and tried this Advantage stuff everyone was raving about, Figured nothing to loose, couldn't get any worse then it already was,

I was flat out amazed!
less then 24 hrs later And I couldn't find a flea no where on the dog or in my house, 24 hrs is all it took, amazin stuff!
---
if its been 24 hours shes flea safe

~~~~
I hear you can get the heart worm treatment in the dose with Advantage, anyone know if this is true?

Cathy1
October 17th, 2007, 02:04 PM
I hear you can get the heart worm treatment in the dose with Advantage, anyone know if this is true?

Yes you can, both my dogs are on advantage because Jasper had a whipworm problem and the vet gave us Advantage Multi 20 and said it would take care of fleas, whipworm, hookworm, roundworm, heartworm, otodectes, sarcoptes and demodex.

lm9012
October 17th, 2007, 02:44 PM
Thanks for the responses! A friend brought me a flea/tick spray to work today, she said it will kill any fleas on bedding and furniture and also act as a barrier and detract fleas from anywhere I spray it.
It is dark when I get home, I know it would be best to examine her in real light. Also, she has the most gorgeous coloring..she's part Aussie..she's every color..tan, white, black, grey...So it may be hard even in natural light to find the little suckers!

Everyone keeps telling me we should be good with the dose of Advantage 24 hours ago, and Frontline about 8 hours ago. I think I'll still keep her and my dog seperate for tonight and maybe tomorrow night let her out.
I just hate crating her so much. She is soooo sweet I just want to cuddle with her she is so well trained and polite.
They think she may be pregnant..ugh, I hope not! :fingerscr So now I have to read up on signs of pregnancy and keep an eye on her!

growler~GateKeeper
October 17th, 2007, 09:12 PM
If she is pregnant you must be very very very careful with the flea spray or just not use it at all - the flea baths/dips/sprays etc are not recommended for use around puppies under 16 weeks

Read the instructions very carefully - you could even phone your vet with the name of the product in hand & ask for advise re the possibility the dog is pregnant & using this product

Be sure you vacuum all carpets & flooring every couple of days the flea eggs can survive in carpeting especially for months :yuck: until they hatch

Find a white area of fur, part the fur so you can the skin & look for small black dots - this is flea dirt (pooped out dried blood) if you see any black dots that are moving (usually super fast) then you still have fleas.

Frenchy
October 17th, 2007, 09:42 PM
You don't need to spray your house. The way Advantage works is , it treats the whole dog , who looses fur , the fur will treat the house. When I moved here , there was fleas in the house , treated the dogs with Advantage and didn't need to do anything else, they just died. :evil: (I mean the fleas :D) be careful to not use too many products, it would be dangerous for the dog. Also , can we get a picture of this sweety ?

lm9012
October 19th, 2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks guys! Frenchy, I am sure there is such a thing as overload! You are correct! I did buy her and my little one a flea collar more as preventative for my dog since he wasn't on any preventative before. ( we live in the city, short of walks, he's not much of an explorer or digger..just no need to worry about fleas/ticks). I've been examining her and I don't see any fleas or 'droppings'. eww. So it looks like this stuff really works!

Also, as with all rescues we just got her, trying to learn about her. I guess its still too early to tell if she is pregnant. I know if she is, these meds couldn't be good for her. :shrug:

Hopefully she isn't..we have enough doggies in the world..and I have no doubt we will find her forever home soon! She is an absolute DOLL..sooo pretty..well mannered, knows several commands, potty trained, loves all people, all dogs..just all around perfect! Her teeth are very white, I don't think she's more than one or two years old..here's some pics...enjoy!

Love4himies
October 19th, 2007, 01:55 PM
Yes, treating with Advantage or Revolution should take care of the fleas without harmful spraying. Did I read you gave two treatments within 24 hours :eek:. Please don't give anymore for at least a month or whatever the labels suggest.

She is beautiful :cloud9: Very original colouring in her.

lm9012
October 19th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Yes I feel bad that I may have overloaded her. But it was not on purpose. When I picked her up at the vets it was around 7 PM..the rescue guys had picked her up from the high kill shelter earlier that day and taken her to the vet for a basic checkup and left her there for me to get her. when I got there the nurses said, 'be careful, she's infested with fleas' and handed her to me. So me, knowing nothing about fleas, asked them what I should do, since I had a dog at home..so one of the nurses said she would give me a dose of Frontline and gave me instructions.
The next day when I checked in with the rescue folks they said 'Oh yea we gave her Advantage before we even took her in to the vets'. :shrug: which makes sense since i'm a regular foster mom for them and they know i have a dog at home.

so that's why she got the double dose! miscommunication on our part..But like I said, I've been examining her and I can't find anything on her.
She's just healthy and happy...and H Y P E R!! I haven't slept in two days!! I don't crate her at night because she's crated all day..so we need to work on bedtime rules! And I have to make more time for playtime and wear her out! anyway, sorry :offtopic:

thanks for all the tips! Isn't she just adorable? :D I really hope she isn't pregnant. the only 'sign' i suppose are her nipples are protruded..the vet said he can't tell for a few more weeks. Let's hope not!!

annasonder
November 22nd, 2007, 11:06 PM
I have never had to use Advantage or Frontline. This link gives reviews on Advantage, 5 out of 5 of the reviews are positive when used for fleas. One said the results weren't the same for ticks.
http://www.pets-galaxy.com/B0002C737E/Advantage_Topical_Flea_Treatment_for_Cats__over_9_ Pounds__6_Pack.html