Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

g s

heidiho
May 26th, 2004, 03:21 PM
heidi_spup.JPG (0.41 MB), heidi_spup2.JPG (0.37 MB), heidi_spup3.JPG (0.36 MB), image001.jpg (< 0.01 MB), image002.gif (0.02 MB)

DONT THINK THIS IS GONNA WORK///

mona_b
May 26th, 2004, 03:51 PM
Hope this works.

mona_b
May 26th, 2004, 03:52 PM
Sorry,second on is wayyyyyy tiny..........LOL

heidiho
May 26th, 2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks,the one when he was 7 weeks came out small...He is the cutest thing.Thnaks again

mona_b
May 26th, 2004, 03:57 PM
Your welcome.

He is very handsome....... ;)

You need to take recent ones.. :)

Well I better get my butt off here............LOL

heidiho
May 26th, 2004, 04:01 PM
I got the camera gonna take some tonight...

Princesss04
He is so CUTE! If I lived near you I would take him he is adorable! I want one I love his ears! :p

Luba
He's very sweet

If you lived closer I'd take him in a second and foster him, for my friend who runs a GSD rescue here! He'd get a lovely home!

Princesss04
May 26th, 2004, 04:03 PM
Look Luba we posted at the same time and pretty much said the same thing! LOL :D

heidiho
May 26th, 2004, 04:07 PM
Thank you,tahnk you..the one was the first day i got him home,7 weeks.The one on the bed was about 3 months.He is sooooooooo cute.Got a digital camera gonna take recent pics of him,will have on here in the morning,didnt think his ears would ever stand.. :)

Princesss04
May 26th, 2004, 04:12 PM
Hey, how did he do last night with the food thing and trying the new way? :confused:

Luba
May 26th, 2004, 04:15 PM
Funny stuff princess :D

heidiho
May 26th, 2004, 04:44 PM
He still growled and would walk away i had to keep calling him over to eat..but he did eat out of my hand... :o :o

heidiho
May 26th, 2004, 04:49 PM
He is the cutest thing,the one pic of when i first brought him home is small and it is the cutest one, i think mona is gonna try and fix it for me..I guess is worst comes worst i will just never mess with him when he eats... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

mona_b
May 26th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Lets try this...

heidiho
May 26th, 2004, 06:11 PM
Aaawwwwwwwww!!thank You,stuff Like That Does Give Me More Hope,and You Know Worst Comes To Worst I Just Will Never Bother Him While He Eats,i Dont Think I Could Live With Myself Knowing He Is Out There Somewhere And I Dont Really Know How He Is Being Treated..recentpicswill Be Up Friday,cant Get Camera Til Thursday..thanks Again,he Is My Boy//

heidiho
May 26th, 2004, 06:51 PM
On the feeding thing he did growl and try to nip at my arm,like i said before the more i think about life without him the more i know i cant live without him,he is my best bud,and i cant live without him,so even if it never gets netter i will just let him eat in peace and not try to take his food,if he has a bone i will trade it out with a treat,i cant let him go live somewhere else,i would always wonder if they blowdry him and brush his teeth like he likes,he is mine and always will be,one concern i have though if something bad happend to him i really am not financially that great,are there places out there that help animals like people???/

cutelittlemako
May 26th, 2004, 07:34 PM
That's a great question, I think it's sad that some people that don't have alot of money canot get pets. I know that we are warned that we should have the financial means to keep our pets, but that's not really fair when you think about it!

heidiho
May 27th, 2004, 09:21 AM
It is sad,but i do worry what if he gets sick or something happens i make enough money to eat,have roof over my head,and feed him and get toys,i really dont have emergency money for either one of us..So is that fair to him?? no...

Luba
May 27th, 2004, 09:48 AM
So you said in your other post you emailed the rescues. Now what are you going to do, debate it until the dog is 5 years old or make a decision while he can still be trained and rehomed while young?

If you are as intelligent as you want us to believe then why don't you do the intelligent thing?

heidiho
May 27th, 2004, 10:17 AM
My heart says i cant let him go,the realistic side of me says it isnt fair for him to be in an apt.I dont need anyones negative remarks i am just being honest of what is going through my head.In all reality if he was to get sick or something i dont have the means to get him treated[of course i would get it handled] but i know having a pet is not cheap[like i said i got him when i was engaged] but know i am on my own and it is hard,i want to do the right thing,but i love him so much,i try to picture what it would be like without him laying by my feet when i get ready,blowdrying him like he likes,all the cute things he does and it just maked me extremely upset,so i honestly am torn between my heart and what will be best for him... :( :( :( :( :( :(

Princesss04
May 27th, 2004, 10:22 AM
What did they Rescue place say when they E-mailed you back? See at least he ate out of your hands for a little while that is a change for the better just hang in there and do not keep taking his food from him and I would feed him three times a day for a little while until he realizes that he is going to get enough food and will not have to be so worried about what will I do if she takes my food from me :confused: Just hang in there it will get better if you keep working with him and loving him. :D

kasher+tazz
May 27th, 2004, 10:28 AM
could you not get pet insurance - mine is only £10 a month for tazz and they pay out up to £5000 for each ilness and any on going treatment like if he got diabetes they would pay it for the rest of his life. Kash has hip dysplasia ( forgot to tell you all that after the x-rays) and she may need an operation pretty soon and they will pay for that too. I couldnt not have insurance - its really worth it. if youre dog goes missing they advertise and search for you and they have a £million for public liability etc. just an idea

Luba
May 27th, 2004, 10:29 AM
In all honesty heidiho you're debating this issue back and forth.

I think you know what you should do, he needs to be rehomed.
For his sake and for yours.

If you made a mistake in getting him at the time, don't let the situation go any further.

What did the rescues say?

We barter back and forth and haven't seen eye to eye on things, in particular with your methods of training and / not listening to sound advise.

PUTTING that aside, from a logical perspective, stop thinking about how 'cute' he is and start thinking how 'big' and 'expensive' he is. How unfair it is for him to be stuck in the apt all day alone while you are at work.
Yes, what if something happened and you lost your job or he got sick? What would you do?

There are other issues involved here other then the training aspect of Damien.

Now, the rescues??? You can keep your dog and they may offer to post him for adoption on their site.

heidiho
May 27th, 2004, 10:29 AM
Funny that you say that,i e-mailed one of those rescue places Luba gave me and told het the situation,she nailed it perfectly.She said this is not common int he gs breed,she said it sounded like someone has been teasing him with his food,well that person is me,here i was not feeding him enough then giving it to him then picking it up,i just cant believe i f up that bad,i will keep working on it,thanks...

sammiec
May 27th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Hey Heidi,
Sounds as though you tried the right thing, in your case it just didn't work out. Don't get down on yourself for that. Many reputable books, vets and trainers suggest that the dog learns when is dinner time. I was told to leave the food down for 20 minutes and if they don't eat, then remove it. Sounds as though Damien didn't like that idea. Keep working on the hand feeding, but be careful, this could create a very picky dog, and he might not eat unless you're there feeding him... once and a while leave him alone with his food, or try feeding him out of your hand, then giving him the bowl of food right after.

heidiho
May 27th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Luba,i getting him was NOT a mistake at the time i was in a good place in life and always wanted a dog,had them while i was growing up,parents instilled the love of animals i have today.So i have to disagree with you there,i had the means to take care of him a good home with backyard and i didnt work so we were together 24/7...I do agree with everything else you said though,it just isnt that easy,i have never had to give up a pet in my life before,hardest thing i have ever had to do is this,and everytime i think ok he needs a home with lots of room to run,i think how different it will be without him,so i am sorry if you are sick of hearing this but it is NOT an easy decsion...

Princesss04
May 27th, 2004, 10:46 AM
How often are you feeding him? :confused:

heidiho
May 27th, 2004, 11:02 AM
2 X A Day..

Princesss04
May 27th, 2004, 11:10 AM
I would try feeding him three times a day. I know my husband's dad feeds their GS two times a day and he is full grown. A puppy needs to eat more often than a big dog, not more but more often. They are still growing I would try to feed him three times a day instead of two for a little while and see if this helps after a few days or a week.

heidiho
May 27th, 2004, 11:12 AM
bUT I WORK 8:30 TIL 5:00....

sammiec
May 27th, 2004, 11:18 AM
Heidi, you should be fine. My puppy only eats 2 times a day. I also work 8:30 to 5. Have you been to the vet recently? Is her still gaining the proper amount of weight? I was really nervous about not feeding 3x's, but my vet convinced me that if they are eating 2 times and all the food, and they are gaining a healthy weight, they are fine....

Princesss04
May 27th, 2004, 11:20 AM
What time do you get up in the morning and is there any way you could run home for ,lunch and feed him and get him out of his cage than? :)

cutelittlemako
May 27th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Can you try feeding him before leaving for work, then immediately when you get home from work -before doing anything else, then feed him once more in the evening, like at 8:00. Depending on when you go to bed. I have to give my dog medication every 12 hours, so I feed him at 9:00 in the morning, once in the afternoon and 9:00 at night, or 10:00 if I have class from 7:00 to 10:00 p.m. You can feed a dog late in the evening, as long as you can give him an hour or so afterwards so he can go outside a few times. You can hand feed him while watching T.V. or something, you don't have to stay at his feeding area and do nothing else. It could be a great way to bond with him.

Princesss04
May 27th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Oh, I am not saying that see is not taking care of him or under feeding him. Becuase I know that he is being taken care of I just thought that would help him thinking he was so hungry and maybe not growl as much. Just a thought I did not mean to upset you.

cutelittlemako
May 27th, 2004, 11:25 AM
who are you responding to Princess? Who is upset?

sammiec
May 27th, 2004, 11:27 AM
princess, I wasn't trying to imply that you had suggested anything. I was just trying to reassure her that if the dog is gaining the healthy amount of weight there is no reason to worry about the lunch feeding if she can't make it home, that's all... sorry if you thought I was cutting you up :o

Princesss04
May 27th, 2004, 11:30 AM
No, I did not think that I just did not want Heido to think that I was trying to say that she was not feeding or taking the proper care of her dog. I just thouhgt it might help. No I am fine just wanted to make sure she did not think I was going to jump on the wagon of attacking her! :D

heidiho
May 27th, 2004, 11:42 AM
Yeah my vet said the same thing 2 x aday is fine,he goes to vet june 8 for neutring,last time he went was about 1 month ago,he was 37 punds vet said he looked good...I feed him at 6:00,5:30 so i guess i could feed at 8:00 ALSO.

Princesss04
May 27th, 2004, 11:45 AM
I think that it might help with his angry and growling problem. You do not have to feed him a tom but maybe a little snack to let him know that you are going to make sure that he is always full and that you are not going to take his food away or let any one else for that matter.

Luba
May 27th, 2004, 11:46 AM
I responded in your other thread, tired of going back and forth for the same issues regarding the same dog....go read my response there!

heidiho
May 27th, 2004, 11:48 AM
Very good idea i will...

mona_b
May 27th, 2004, 12:49 PM
We suggested to heidiho about feeding damien 3xs a day.And she realized she was not giving him enough when feeding.This is a growing pup.We suggested also that since she could not feed him at lunch that she could get someone in at lunch to feed him.He is getting fed in the morning,in a crate till she gets home,then eating in the evening.This is not enough for a growing GSD,or any growing pup,especially a large breed.When my dogs where pups,they were fed 3xs a day.They are both 8 years old now.They still get fed 3xs a day.Can in the morning and can in the evening.Dry is left out for them.They are not over weight at all.And never have been.

And I have suggesed about giving him canned food.Since he is prone to Bloat,it is suggested that dry alone should not be given.

And I wouldn't always hand feed him.He will get to used to it.And then more problems.

And food aggression can turn into human aggression...It has happened.

As for the crating,I'm going to say it again,8 hours is way to long for him to be in it.

heidiho,as for the expenses,what happens if Damien gets Bloat?How are you going to get the money to pay for the emergenct surgery?The cost is about $1200..My friend lost her St.Bernard to it...And what if he gets Panosteitis?My cousin forked out $3000 dollars for her GSD...Xrays,medication,tests,numerous vet visits.

I know you love him with all your heart.I don't doubt that at all.

heidiho
May 27th, 2004, 12:54 PM
I have been giving wet food with the dry,been doing that for about a week now.And you are right i dont know what i would do if something happend to him,i know that the vet wouldnt just let my dog die,but i dont have the money for something expensive to fix if it happend.I know what the right thing to do is,it is just hard to accept...........

mona_b
May 27th, 2004, 01:13 PM
I understand it is hard to accept.But you must think of him first.

Yes,things change in our lives.That we have to accept.It's part of life.Whether we like it or not.

You are not a bad person to have him rehomed.He truly needs to be in a home with someone who understands this breed and his problem.Someone who can work with him daily and who knows how to do this.Someone who can take him out so he won"t need to be in a crate for 8 hours.Sorry,but it just breaks my heart that he is.

Princesss04
May 27th, 2004, 01:25 PM
Mona B is right I also know that you love him and you want what is best for him but I would have to agree what is best for the dog is to go and lie with soemone else. He is really getting to big to stay in a cage all day. I know that it is hard believe me I lost two of my kittens here recently but you have to do what is best for him. Than maybe a little while down the road get another dog when you have a little more time. You have done a good job but puppies take alot of time and due to all that happened with you and your boyfriend you are forced not to have enough time at this point in your life. You love him and he knows that and I know that, but part of that love is being able to give him what he needs and he needs more than just a little time at night to have attention. Maybe you should get a smaller pet like something that needs to be caged or maybe a cat they are fine in the house all day and they are fine in an apartment and they go to the bathroom on their own. They are stubborn but will not have food aggression problems. They are not stubborn in a bad way but if they want to be left alone than they think we should listen (and they will let you know that) :D That might be a good pet for you since I know you have a love for animals and it is hard not having one. Just and idea take it or leave it! :) Good luck!

heidiho
May 27th, 2004, 01:52 PM
I know I know,I called a rescue sight she said she has a girl that is looking for puppy and will have her call me.This is gonna be soo hard,but i guess if at least i could see the place he would be going to and the owner i might be able to deal with it....Just hope she or whoever does all the little things he likes so much[getting brushed,blowdryed and stuff]I will not be getting a dog anytime soon,no one could take his place it wouldnt be the same,maybe someday a kitten...

Princesss04
May 27th, 2004, 01:57 PM
I am so sorry I know this is so hard for you and I am proud of you and I know that your dog knows that you love him. One good thing about adoption places like that they make sure they are going to a good home. If I could get him I would take him in a heart beat but we live so far apart. I wish you all the luck in the world! I know that you love him and you always wil. You have been a good mom just sometimes things work out for the better even when we do not understand them. :(

mona_b
May 27th, 2004, 01:59 PM
Please do me a favour,make sure that who ever gets Damien knows about food aggression,and how to deal with it.And if they are going to work with him.You need to find out everything about the person.

heidiho
May 27th, 2004, 02:04 PM
Thanks,and i know i am doing the right thing when it comes down to it,i just never thought i would be one those people thta gave up there dog..I guess i probably should have waited a little longer when i was in kentucky,but i thought me and him would be together forever,or i would of not gotten a puppy...................

heidiho
May 28th, 2004, 02:42 PM
2 x a day........