Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

fat cat with dandruff

sehrita
October 17th, 2007, 01:22 AM
I have been doing some research online on cats with dandruff issues and it said that if the cat is fat then he is unable to clean himself properly(my cat is fat). One site recommended that I brush him (I do that and it only helps temporarily) and give him food high in Omega 3-fatty acid. So I bought the Science Diet sensitive skin and started feeding him that. I fed him the amount listed on the bag for the weight he is supposed to be. The problem is that one site said: "Simply feeding less of your cat's regular food is rarely, if ever, successful. " The site also said that in order to loose weight a cat must be on "diet" food. This scared me so I put him back on his diet food (Hills Prescription R/D). I am so confused...I want my cat to loose weight, but I also want to get rid of his icky dandruff.

So, my question is...Do I get my cat down to a healthy weight first and then give him the Science Diet Sensitive Skin food or just give him the sensitive skin food and not worry about the diet food?

(I also read that fish oil could be useful with getting rid of dandruff. Could I add fish oil to his "diet" food without destroying his diet?)

badger
October 17th, 2007, 03:42 AM
I've heard some fat cats lose weight on a 100% canned diet, which some people think is also healthier. Buy the best quality you can afford. Don't feed too much fish, maybe once or twice a week.
If you feed dry, Science Diet and Hill's are both poor quality foods, despite the hype, usually referring to minimal meat and alot of corn and fillers with fancy names. The holistic brands such as Orijen, Innova, Eagle Pack are way better although watch the quantity you give, they are not diet foods.
Try the canned. It might also help with the 'dingleberries' :laughing: and his coat will probably improve.

clm
October 17th, 2007, 07:09 AM
More exercise for the cat would help with the weight too. Try having more play sessions with him chasing laser lights or strings, whatever he likes to play with. That'll help take the weight off much faster.

Cindy

sugarcatmom
October 17th, 2007, 08:01 AM
Please read this website to find out why you absolutely should not be feeding any dry if you're trying to get your cat to lose weight: http://www.catinfo.org/feline_obesity.htm

Also, excessive dandruff can sometimes be a sign of illness in cats. If your cat hasn't had a vet visit in a while, I'd really recommend a check-up with full blood work-up and urinalysis (just don't let the vets sell you on their food, especially nothing "diet" or dry - completely inappropriate foods for an obligate carnivore to be eating).

Stacer
October 17th, 2007, 08:19 PM
I agree with what has already been said. Science Diet is a low quality food. A high quality, high protein canned food would be optimal for his skin and weight problems. Avoid carbohydrates like corn, rice, wheat. If you continue using a dry kibble then you definitely should switch to a better food with no grains, such as the foods mentioned by badger. I personally like Orijen. http://www.championpetfoods.com/orijen/about/

beckiandthetrio
October 17th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I just wanted to give you some support since im sorrta in the same boat. My cats dont really have dandruff but are all overwieght! Panda is the largest at 19lbs or so. I always thought the Science Diet was a good quality food, better than meow mix or those other brands.

Well after joining here Ive found out Im totally wrong and Im in the process of switching from all dry to all wet. Ive decided on Wellness brand prolly but we will see which ones they like best. Let me know how it goes for you!

Becki

Chicklet
October 18th, 2007, 07:02 AM
I have also heard that canned wet food is better for cats to loose weight on then dry,

The site sugarcatmom posted is really interesting,
While your there be sure to read:
Case study - Molly
Case study - Bennie

Getting rid of dandruff I always used Clear white vinegar on a Sponge and just vigorously rubbed it in,
BUT that was for my dogs, Not sure with Cats.

want4rain
October 18th, 2007, 08:17 AM
we were feeding 2 table spoons of Eukanuba Weight Control to our cats for months and they were still over weight(16-17lbs). i switched to a home made diet and they dropped a pound... later i put them on a raw meat only diet and they are hovering at a healthy 11lbs. their coats are magnificent, their blood work had the vets shocked.... it took a while and some cleverness to get them to accept it but i couldnt be happier!! and its WORLDS cheaper than canned!!! the difference of $2 daily per cat and $.45 daily per cat.

if you decide raw or home made is your desire, please research and dont hesitate to ask questions. its easy to screw up if you dont know what you are doing but really easy once you get the hang of it.

-ashley