Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

cat with dingleberries..please help!!

sehrita
October 16th, 2007, 10:44 PM
Hello, I have a nice, 11lb, shorthair, black cat with a dingleberry problem. The berries are not stuck in her fur, but pasted on her anus. She has been expressed by a vet once (he claimed that was why she was having this problem) and although nasty stuff came out, this didn't help her dingleberry issue. She doesn't scoot or anything like that. She just has dingleberries stuck on her butt and doesn't seem to care about it. I have tried to clean her butt myself, but only ended up getting me and my kitty hurt (the dingleberries were so pasted on that she bled when I removed them).

If anyone has any advice on why this is occuring and/or what to do about this please help!!!:sad:

Thank you,
Sehrita

Boubou
October 16th, 2007, 10:49 PM
Umm, what exactly do you mean by "dingleberries"??

I presume the vet expressed her anal sacs?

sehrita
October 16th, 2007, 10:54 PM
"dingleberries" is poop dried on her butt. Usually dingleberries occur on the hair surrounding the anus, but my cat has actual poop dried up on her butt.

Yes, the vet did express her anal sacs.

growler~GateKeeper
October 16th, 2007, 11:38 PM
you can add a little bit of canned pumpkin (not the pie mix) to her food to soften her poop a bit

when cleaning her bum use warm damp paper towel/tissue paper to ease removal instead of just pulling :)

sehrita
October 16th, 2007, 11:50 PM
Thank you growler! I just got some gauze (that I will dampen) to clean her up... the vet had had me use that when I had to clean another kitties behind. I remember that it worked well with my other cat. I will be as careful as I can with a cat going bonkers on me. heh.

does the pumpkin mix have alot of excess calories? she is on a diet and I don't want to disturb her weight loss.

growler~GateKeeper
October 17th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Not sure about the calorie content :shrug: but usually you give no more than 1/2 - 1 teaspoon in a meal, which you can try subtracting that 1/2 - 1 tsp from her food. Just start with only giving it once a day & see how her poops are - you don't want to give her too much to start & possibly give her diarreah :yuck: And make sure it is NOT pie mix :)

As for the gauze that's good too just make the water is a little bit warm will make it more comfortable for the cat :D

sehrita
October 17th, 2007, 12:48 AM
Not sure about the calorie content :shrug: but usually you give no more than 1/2 - 1 teaspoon in a meal, which you can try subtracting that 1/2 - 1 tsp from her food. Just start with only giving it once a day & see how her poops are - you don't want to give her too much to start & possibly give her diarreah :yuck: And make sure it is NOT pie mix :)

As for the gauze that's good too just make the water is a little bit warm will make it more comfortable for the cat :D

I tried to remove the dingleberries (I made sure the gauze was damp with warm water) and only got a small fraction of it removed before I got scratched up. I will try again tommorrow, and the day after that until it is all removed.

How exactly does loosening the stool help with the dingleberry issue? I would think that harder poop would stick less to the buttocks.

growler~GateKeeper
October 17th, 2007, 12:58 AM
If the poop is softer is should drop down easier into the litterbox & would be easier for your cat to clean herself or you to clean her :)

I've always found the slightly softer poop never sticks to my girl but if she has a hard poop the little bits sometimes crust on unless she or I clean it off.

and btw welcome to Pets.ca we always love pics around here :D

sehrita
October 17th, 2007, 01:32 AM
and btw welcome to Pets.ca we always love pics around here :D

Thank you! :D

t.pettet
October 17th, 2007, 03:32 PM
When grooming a cat with that problem I put about 6 in. of warm water in kitchen sink, have mild shampoo ready, have someone hold her by the scruff of her neck, lower her into water, a quick shampoo, rinse and wrap in towel. Its definitely a 2 person job but if done quickly enough she won't realize whats happened until its over. Good Luck.