Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Blue Dog Food

Mypetsrmykids
October 16th, 2007, 01:17 PM
A friend of mine is considering this holistic brand of dog food because her chihuahua will not eat the Innova. She is a picky eater. Is anyone familiar with Blue? If so, do the dogs like it?

Purpledomino
October 16th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Just out of curiousity I googled it, since I had never heard of it up here in Canada. Here is the ingredient list for the Chicken and brown rice formula. I'm no expert, but if I was going to spend money on a holistic or premium food for my dog, I would probably go with something with less grain ingredients. There's three grain ingr. out of the first five, then followed by another...Rye, then another carb, potatoes. I think Orijen or Innova Evo and others with less grainy ingredients are far superior, just too many fillers for my taste, although I've seen worst.

Deboned Chicken, Chicken Meal, Whole Ground Brown Rice, Whole Ground Barley, Oatmeal, Rye, Whole Potatoes, Tomato Pomace (natural source of Lycopene), Chicken Fat (preserved with Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Natural Chicken Flavor, Whole Carrots, Whole Sweet Potatoes, Blueberries, Cranberries, Flaxseed, Barley Grass, Dried Parsley, Alfalfa Meal, Kelp Meal, Taurine, L-Carnitine, L-Lysine, Glucosamine Hydrochloride, Yucca Shidigera Extract, Green Tea Extract, Turmeric, Garlic, Sunflower Oil (natural source of Omega 6 Fatty Acids), Herring Oil (natural source of Omega 3 Fatty Acids), Fructooligosaccharides, Monooligosaccharides, Dried Chicory Root, Black Malted Barley, Oil of Rosemary, Vitamin A Supplement, Vitamin C, Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Beta Carotene, Calcium Ascorbate (source of Vitamin C), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B3), Calcium Pentothenate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Thiamine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B1), Folic Acid, Biotin, Choline Chloride, Calcium Phosphate, Zinc Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Zinc), Iron Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Iron), Copper Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Copper), Manganese Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Manganese), Potassium Amino Acid Complex (source of Chelated Potassium), Cobalt Proteinate (source of Chelated Cobalt), Potassium Chloride, Sodium Selenite, Salt, Lactobacillus acidophilus, Bacillus subtilis, Bifidobacterium thermophilum, Bifidobacterium longum, Enterococcus faecium

Mypetsrmykids
October 16th, 2007, 06:54 PM
That's exactly the kind of info I needed. I compared these ingredients to the Innova and I agree, the quality is not as high. I passed this information on to my friend. This little dog of hers is such a bad eater, she needs the quality but it also needs to taste exceptional for her to eat it. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be appreciated. Thanks for all your help Purpledomino. By the way, I keep vets and emergency vets on my speed dial too :thumbs up:D

luvntzus
October 16th, 2007, 07:34 PM
I used to think it was a decent food until I read a response on the thread below. Scroll down to Mordanna's post...

http://www.ourdogsonline.com/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/139402#Post139402