Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Aloe - good for dog burn?

otter
October 15th, 2007, 11:33 PM
My silly Molly (golden retriever, 9yrs) I think leaned against my electric heater and got a small burn (about the size of a toonie):eek:! What a goof :sad:. Not too serious, just red and sore looking, no blisters, no charred fur or anything nasty like that, but must be a bit painful for her.
I'm just wondering if anyone knows if Aloe (the plant) is any good for dog burns? I know it's a miracle for human burns. Any toxicity for dogs?? Is there something better that might help with the hurt & healing?

(don't worry, if it blisters or anything we are off to the vet!)

growler~GateKeeper
October 15th, 2007, 11:49 PM
Sorry to hear about Mollys' owie but according to this site Aloe IS TOXIC to dogs, it is also toxic to cats

http://www.aspca.org/site/PageServer?pagename=pro_apcc_toxic_aloe

otter
October 15th, 2007, 11:58 PM
thanks growler...ugh though, I just read this "Pure aloe vera gel is not harmful for pets who want to lick it off." here http://www.marvistavet.com
I hate conflicting info!:confused:

I have to admit I put some on and it seemed to have soothed her a bit, i'm going to make sure NO LICKING and i'll wash it off before I go to sleep. Off to do more research too.

growler~GateKeeper
October 16th, 2007, 12:00 AM
If you have any you can use a paste made from Baking Soda & water, or the herb Rosemary or Tea Tree Oil, you can also use wet oatmeal/Aveeno oatmeal bar soap - & if you have a cone (so she won't lick it) you can apply a little neosporin

growler~GateKeeper
October 16th, 2007, 12:02 AM
yeah this one says you can use Aloe Vera either from the plant or creams :eek: :shrug: I guess if she doesn't lick it the aloe should be okay :shrug:

http://www.paw-rescue.org/PAW/PETTIPS/DogTip_InsectBites.php

otter
October 16th, 2007, 12:07 AM
Oooo, we have LOTS of tea tree oil, I use it on myself all the time, never thought of using it on Molly, great idea:thumbs up. and i'm sure it's way to yucky tasting for them to lick it!

So far she's not licking at it any more after I put the aloe on it, maybe it's cooled off a bit and not bugging her. I'll put some neosporin on it in the morning - I know with human burns you have to give them time to cool off before putting stuff like that on otherwise it can make the burn worse.

Do you think it's worth while to shave off the fur? :confused: I'm kinda surprised it didn't get singed more, maybe the burn is more superficial than it seems (seems pretty red to me but I can be a bit paranoid:o)

shredy
October 16th, 2007, 12:16 AM
Sorry to hear about Molly :sad: If you can cut the fur down around the burn so that it isn't covered that may be a good idea, but be careful shaving because you could take off fragile skin, or open a blister that you can't see. The biggest concern with burns is infection so just make sure you keep the area clean and neosporin is a good idea. I hope it heals without any trouble for you :fingerscr:fingerscr And hopefully she learned her lesson...

growler~GateKeeper
October 16th, 2007, 12:18 AM
oooo that's a toughie - how deep is the singe-ing of the fur? Half way to the skin, less, more?

if she not bothering it & it doesn't look any bigger/worse than @ first - maybe not bother shaving :shrug:

if the fur right down to the skin is singed, she is bothered by it then or it looks worse then shave it :shrug:

the only thing is can you shave close enough to fully expose the area without the shaver irritating the red skin?

otter
October 16th, 2007, 12:25 AM
You've got me thinking that shaving is out... probably going to be too sore for a shaver and i'm afraid to get scissors too close - the hair isn't really singed at all, just a bit burnt smelling so maybe just a bit of a trim will be in order (sorry Molly, another baldish patch for you :sad:). The spot is sort of on the top/side of her back so i'm hoping not to hard to keep clean.

Molly is now snozzzzzzzing away:sleepy::sleepy:, obviously unaffected (but hopefully better aware) by the whole situation :lovestruck:

Last question... leave it uncovered or covered with clean dressing??

shredy
October 16th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Is the skin broken at all? If yes, I vote for neosporin and covered with clean dressing. If not then neosporin and open to air. You can clean it with soap and water either way (no hydrogen peroxide because that will break down healing tissue).

I would not shave it, if you want to trim the fur down with scissors ( how calm is she?) that would be a better option.

growler~GateKeeper
October 16th, 2007, 12:48 AM
I have found my burns always do better left uncovered broken skin or no :shrug:

Jim Hall
October 16th, 2007, 09:15 AM
The aspca site doesnt say what is toxic. I think they
are talking about the plant it self I have used aloe, usually a very good prep or a little straight from taking the juice right out of a leaf.

I have usedit on on dogs and cats and humans too
Aloe is very good for the digestive system, one of DU's fav foods has aloe as a filler and it's great when she is trying to pass a furball.

otter
October 16th, 2007, 12:45 PM
I took my chances with a bit of Aloe last night, so far so good. I did notice Aloe as an ingredient in both dog and cat foods - maybe it's something else about the actual plant that is poison (i.e. not the juice). There are a number of aloe for pets websites even.

This morning I woke up to a very soggy bed, seems Molly has decided that licking anything might help. She can't reach the burned spot very well so she was just liking like mad - I gave her my hand and she licked it for about 10 minutes, poor girl :sad:

If she's still licking at lunch when I get home she's gonna get made a conehead :sad:. I'm really worried she might figure a way to get her tongue up to the spot and lick it raw, then we're in real trouble.

:fingerscr:fingerscr that she is OK when I get home, and no cone will be needed and that I can put some neosporin on it (and keep it uncovered I think, no open wound as of yet, just red, no blisters).

Sigh..... dangers of living in a small house I guess (maybe I need to look at some kind of overhead heating :shrug:)

otter
October 16th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Molly is not a happy dog today.... I had to work tonight and she was licking and licking when I was at work earlier so, tonight she is sporting a lovely new CONEHEAD :sad: Poor girl :sad:

So the little toonie size burn has turned into a wound about the size of a deck of cards :eek: Darn that tongue of hers :yell: She must be quite sore too, she's not eating I suspect cause of the pain. But she still wants to walk and play and cuddle :shrug:

So do you guys think it would help to give her an aspirin to help with pain? Maybe a dose of Metacam (I don't have much on hand but enough for a couple of doses). Anyother anti-inflamatories that would be better for her? I know from personal experience that anti-inflamatories are quite helpful in healing burns.

In case you wonder why I don't just bring Molly to the vet...I spoke with the vet tech. earlier and she said I was doing what I could - so, bringing her in wasn't critical yet... got to keep a good eye on things though (I live 3hrs form the vet, in case your just wondering why I don't bring her in anyways). I always think of a million questions the minute I hang up from talking to them:frustrated: I totally forgot about asking about pain management

mummummum
October 16th, 2007, 08:22 PM
Oh those sandpaper tongues! I think aspirin would probably help more and be less harmful than the Metacam. But...only if she has no stomach, kidney, liver issues or von Willebrands disease or epilepsy and isn't taking tetracycline (which if memory serves she free and clear of :D but just in case anyone else with a simlar problem is reading along). I would use Metacam only if you see swelling in the area.

Aquacel-Ag is one of the best dressings (not inexpensive though) for burns or decubitus ulcers (pressure sores). I'm not sure if it is available for the general retail consumer but it can be ordered. I found it here http://www.nextag.com/aquacel-ag/search-html

But I agree with the others, unless the skin is broken (meaning that the wound has become susceptible to infection), I would leave it uncovered and give us the pictures of Molly The Conehead :D

Frenchy
October 16th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Oh no ! Poor Molly , not the cone !!! Look at what she looked like with it at my house :sad:

I would go with the polysporin too, uncovered.

How is she tonight ?

otter
October 16th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Lucky Molly... I could only put my hands on a mini cone (I think the full size one got lent out somewhere) so, here she is....

A sad looking conehead (mini or not!):sad: ... trimmed fur still hasn't been cleaned up :frustrated:

but, as you can see, that sad, sad face convinced me to give her a conehead break. As long as i'm watching she doesn't seem to be licking OR maybe it's not bugging her as much (still looks yicky:yuck:)

mummummum
October 16th, 2007, 10:07 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh...the absolute torture of it all !!! :D

I forgot to mentionthat I use pure aloe straight from the plant on the dogs for all sorts of owies. But, I also make sure they can't get at themselves.

Frenchy
October 16th, 2007, 10:12 PM
awww look at those eyes !

otter
October 16th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Frenchy - that's a magnificent picture!

I'm gonna have to wash the whole thing tonight, all the aloe and polysporin has caked into a gooey crust. :fingerscr:fingerscr that all goes well and it doesn't hurt too much (me or Molly). Then I have to figure out how to deal with conehead on the bed:eek:, maybe i'll sleep on the floor :D

hazelrunpack
October 17th, 2007, 12:29 AM
Poor Molly! :eek: Heaters can be so...hot! Lucky you didn't set yourself ablaze, girl! :eek: :dog:

Cones can be a pain--but you'll feel better for it in the end, hun. :grouphug: No. More. Licking! (insert :smiley waggling finger at Molly: here)

Heal up soon! :goodvibes:

shredy
October 17th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Aquacel-Ag is one of the best dressings (not inexpensive though) for burns or decubitus ulcers (pressure sores).

I agree, very good stuff...
And if you are going this route, especially since it is bigger than originally thought, cleaning it with normal saline solution is the best way to go.

otter
October 17th, 2007, 11:49 PM
I'm having a heck of a time getting this thing clean!
Today a friend came over with clippers and we tired to clear more fur but a lot of it is caked and clumped and impossible to remove without great pain to poor Molly. It was good to see that the area around the burn isn't too bad, thus infection is not spreading:thumbs up.
Would you keep trying to clean it out or just let it dry and cake over until she gets to the vet?
Any ideas on how to clean (a sponge and warm soapy water didn't do much) if it should be?

is Aquacel-Ag anything like bactigras? I used Bactigras on my burns and i've been told it's good (though expensive too). Polysporin is really hard to apply cause the area is a bit goopy. The vet tech thought polysporin was a good idea though.... what to do??

Some pictures of the gruesome mess! I think it looks worse in photos than the real thing but don't ask how the original toonie size burn got to be a goopy mess this big:confused: (I'm blaming the sandpaper tongue!)

hazelrunpack
October 17th, 2007, 11:56 PM
Oh, oweeeee! :eek: I think I'd be inclined to leave it for the vet at this point. When is her appointment?

:grouphug: for poor Molly sweetie honey!

otter
October 17th, 2007, 11:58 PM
Molly's all pooped tonight so she got a conehead reprieve...
before..
http://lh4.google.com/murraymel/RxbYcoSfFxI/AAAAAAAAA2s/MG6qQITY-qA/s400/IMG_0593-1.JPG
after...
I'm licking my food HONESTLY:frustrated:...
http://lh3.google.com/murraymel/RxbMrYSfFuI/AAAAAAAAA1k/VItFlemZKfc/s400/IMG_0626.JPG
Enough with the pictures already
http://lh4.google.com/murraymel/RxbMnoSfFsI/AAAAAAAAA20/TUhCSzrHooQ/s400/IMG_0616-1.JPG
It's bedtime:sleepy:
http://lh5.google.com/murraymel/RxbMu4SfFwI/AAAAAAAAA10/NnULHnl4-qI/s400/IMG_0629-1.JPG

growler~GateKeeper
October 17th, 2007, 11:58 PM
when you try to clean the dried stuff off does the skin underneath bleed or ooze more?

If yes & it was my dog I'd let it cake over til the vet visit - often the scab will help to heal the problem underneath & allow it to close

If there is just skin not broken or red underneath the dried scabby stuff then I'd try to clean a little bit @ a time from the edges cuz this stuff is most likely also itchy

she's so cute :lovestruck:

shredy
October 18th, 2007, 12:01 AM
Ouch! I think she probably needs to see the vet, get it cleaned and maybe some antibiotics. :sick:

I hope it will get better on its own, but the picture looks like you could use some help. I hope Molly feels better soon! :goodvibes::goodvibes:

otter
October 18th, 2007, 12:03 AM
i'm AMAZED by the pain tolerance of this dog!

Hazel, appointment isn't till Monday... and the vet thought that was OK. I was already to bring her tomorrow but, between my friend, what the vet said and my own experience we all agreed that there wasn't much that could be done at this point. Hopefully the antibiotics and some time open to the air will clean up the goookiness. Burns are painful but there really isn't much that can be done except keep 'em clean and as comfortable as possible. Infection is the enemy:evil:

hazelrunpack
October 18th, 2007, 12:04 AM
Molly is such a cutie! And growler is so brave--hazel is a real wuss about this sort of thing :o

otter
October 18th, 2007, 12:08 AM
thanks for the advice growler and shredy... i'm thinking i'm going to let things dry out till the vet, so far cleaning has just resulted in increased goo. We've started antibiotics now so things will hopefully start to heal from the inside. I change my mind every other hour, tonight it will be dry, we'll reassess in the morning. Before bed, cone goes back on, Molly's tongue is our second enemy:evil:

hazelrunpack
October 18th, 2007, 12:08 AM
i'm AMAZED by the pain tolerance of this dog!

Hazel, appointment isn't till Monday... and the vet thought that was OK. I was already to bring her tomorrow but, between my friend, what the vet said and my own experience we all agreed that there wasn't much that could be done at this point. Hopefully the antibiotics and some time open to the air will clean up the goookiness. Burns are painful but there really isn't much that can be done except keep 'em clean and as comfortable as possible. Infection is the enemy:evil:

:fingerscr that she heals quickly. It was pretty cool of your vet to send you the antibiotics. :thumbs up

mummummum
October 18th, 2007, 12:10 AM
Aquacel-Ag is a type of sterile dressing impregnated with silver used primarily with burns but also with pressure sores and other deep, hard to treat wounds where necrotizing tissue is present.

I know it looks worse than it is. Bridie has been getting hotspots for the past few falls ~ they look very similar to Molly's ouchie and it's ALL down to her incessant licking.

growler~GateKeeper
October 18th, 2007, 12:10 AM
yep if you just get goo best to leave it then - less spreading that way too

poor poor Molly :sad: everyone hates the cone

otter
October 18th, 2007, 12:11 AM
Oh yes, thank dog for an understanding vet.... he doesn't always understand but today was good. I sooooooooooooooooooo hate living so far from the vet. :yell::yell::yell::yell:

Thanks to all of you too, without you i'd be going crazy worrying myself to death that i'm killing the poor girl. I don't like asking for "medical" advice on the board, after all most of us are not vets. It's just sooo nice to get a second opinion on my actions to make sure i'm really doing all that I can be doing in addition to vet care. THANKS!!!!

mummummum
October 18th, 2007, 10:16 PM
How is Molly's burn today ?

otter
October 19th, 2007, 12:14 AM
Things are starting to get crusted over again... which would be good except the crusties are greeen:eek:
But, infection isn't spreading, no red beyond the actual wound and it doesn't seem to be bothering her too much. I took the cone off when I got home from work and haven't had to put it back yet. I think she's now distracted by the rest of her itchy parts that she can now access now that I de-coned her:shrug:.(and the big thunder storm tonight:goodvibes: - that's Molly quivering in fear).
Antibiotics should be kicking in so :fingerscr:fingerscr that we're on the road to recovery. If nothing else, i'm feeling a little less panicked now :thumbs up Though I'm quite eager to see the vet on Monday, just to make sure everything really is doing OK.
What a trooper Molly is....

shredy
October 19th, 2007, 12:52 AM
Thats so awesome that your vet sent you antibiotics!! I hope Molly feels better and is back to swimming soon! :goodvibes::goodvibes:

rainbow
October 19th, 2007, 03:02 AM
I just found your thread now. :o Hugs to you and Molly :grouphug: and I hope she recovers soon. :fingerscr :goodvibes: