Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

My cat Dusty has a problem...

csabetti
October 15th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Hi there,

I know that I will probably get ridiculed for this but I've only taken my cat to the vet's once. He was found tied up on the side of a building where transport trucks come and go. I had to take him to a the vet's then to have him checked out, vaccination, spayed and declawed as I had another older cat at home at the time. We figured Dusty was approximately a year old. He is a long haired, gray with some white areas and looks like a great big raccoon. He is a nervous, scared, timid etc. cat. The only time Dusty goes outside is when my husband or myself sit with him outside on our patio. He will not go out on his own. If a leaf should blow by it scares him silly and he scurrys back into the house. Dusty gets very matted and I can't comb these out so once a year I have a groomer's on wheels come to the house and comb him out. I figured this would be less stressful for him then trying to get him in the car, drive to a groomers, etc. For some reason this year he was really matted like big balls of fur everywhere on him. I called the groomers, she came and she told me that she may have to shave him in areas. I was okay with this as I didn't think he was comfortable with these matts. When she brought him back into the house he was shaved right down all over. She said that he was really badly matted and that she never saw him this way before. Needless to say he was not a happy cat. Now what is going on is this... Before being shaved he looked like a fat, healthy cat now his skin looks like it hangs on him. He is really, really skinny and his bones show. You can see his vertibre and each bone down his back. He shivers alot like he's cold. When he walks (which isn't to often) it's like he's staggering or medicated. He weaves and sits down alot. He's not eating like he use to. He loved his treats and now it's a hit or miss if he eats them. He sneezes alot now and his meow is different. He's very lathargic. Dusty is also 18 years old. He never acted this way before the groomers came and so I am wondering if that had anything to do with this or is this his way of telling me he's old. I am now wrapping him up in a blanket which he likes, I take the food to him which he will eat a little as well as drinks water (he drinks alot of water). He uses the litter still. What do you think? Thank you for reading this. Sorry it's so long but I've never written like this before. Sincerely, Cindy

krdahmer
October 16th, 2007, 10:34 AM
A second vet visit is in order, he may simply need to be looked over and get some meds. Please take him asap.

Just a thought but if this groomer was providing the services out of a truck of some sort where many other animals have been he could have picked up a parasite or something that could be cleared up with meds. Be sure to take a poo sample to the vets, and let them take blood too.

Best of luck to you both! :pray:

Love4himies
October 16th, 2007, 10:51 AM
He may have picked up a bug while in the groomers truck and now has developed a fever. Best to have some blood work done by the vet for analysis, that is the only way to know.

badger
October 16th, 2007, 11:07 AM
I would go out and buy him a heating pad, set it on low (I actually tape it at low), fold a big towel twice (four thicknesses) and put it on top. An old kitty who suddenly loses his coat is COLD.
I agree that he needs to see a vet for a full check-up.

growler~GateKeeper
October 17th, 2007, 03:09 AM
good suggestion Badger :thumbs up

I also say this kitty needs a vet check up, full blood panel & urinalysis done this will show any medical conditions that Dusty may have since cats are so good @ hiding illness

:goodvibes: :fingerscr keep us updated

csabetti
October 31st, 2007, 10:28 AM
:sad: I finally decided to take Dusty to the vets yesterday because of what some of you said - maybe he caught something from the groomers. I was just hoping the vet would tell me that he's getting old and these are the signs. Unfortunately that's not what he said. He wanted to keep my cat for a couple of hours and run some tests. (My cat is very timid and shy and never been away from me). I didn't want to leave him but I did. Even though he's 18 years old I put him through the tests - this is what the vet told me - he has kidney problems, his lungs, stomach and heart have fluids around/in them. The vet felt that Dusty had these illnesses but didn't show any signs yet until the groomers - STRESS can bring all this on suddenly. He also wanted to send a sample of the fluid to see if he also had cancer. I figure at this point I didn't need to know anything else. He is still eating, drinking (more) using his litter and not crying (like he's in pain or anything). What I didn't know until the vet visit is that he told me he might have less than a month to live. That blew me away. I have been very depressed for the last few weeks over his condition and now I'm just crying all the time since I went to the vets yesterday and he gave me this news. I just thought I would update anybody who was interested in knowing. Thank you.:cat:

krdahmer
October 31st, 2007, 10:51 AM
Oh I am so sorry it was not better news... my heart goes out to you, that is exactly what we all dread to hear. :cry::grouphug: I hope that the time he does have left with you is happy and pain free for him and that you get all the hugs and kisses in that you can. :pray: Again I am so sorry and right now I am crying with you... :cry::grouphug:

growler~GateKeeper
November 1st, 2007, 02:24 AM
Very sorry Dustys' tests came back with bad news :sad: :grouphug: I'm glad you took him in to have the tests done, this way you know what you are facing & it won't be sneaking up on you - I know it is much harder when you don't see it coming :grouphug:

Cherish the time he has left, giving him all the love & kisses he can handle :pray:ing for all days to be pain free

:grouphug::grouphug:

Love4himies
November 1st, 2007, 08:00 AM
Oh I am so sorry you got bad news from the vet. He is so lucky that you rescued him and gave him a wonderful life.

Lisa_H
November 1st, 2007, 12:09 PM
I'm so sorry for you. But at least you gave him all you could while he was with you. You rescued him and gave him a good life. I'm sure he's very thankful for all you've done for him.

rainbow
November 1st, 2007, 06:53 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about Dusty. :sad: As long as he is pain free, just enjoy the remaining time you have together and spoil him as much as you can. :grouphug:

csabetti
November 2nd, 2007, 03:32 PM
I would just like to thank you all for your kind words. I have to say though, the question "Is it better to know when the end is coming ie. less than a month or not knowing"? I'm honestly thinking the not knowing is a little better than knowing. I only work 2 days a week now on the weekends so I spend all the other days with him. When I'm at work I call home to see how he is. My fear now is that I won't be home when his time comes so I'm scared to leave him alone. I'm very depressed all the time - I cry in the car, I cry washing dishes, I cry at the drop of a hat. I try to think of nicer things but man it's hard. I just think of the little guy and wish he wasn't going anywhere. I know I must sound like a baby but I can't help it. He is my baby. I have to get ready for work now and I look like hell because he's all I think about. My baby boy.
Thanks again everybody :sad:

chico2
November 2nd, 2007, 05:11 PM
csabetti,I read all your post and the wonderful advice you got from everyone.
I just feel I need to caution you on one thing.
I had my Sammy for 18 wonderful years(a long time ago),however for the rest of my days,I'll regret not helping him end his suffering,he too had cancer and his last day was something I'll never forget.
If he is as sick as the vet says,please don't let him suffer and maybe die in pain,loving someone is knowing when to let go,no matter how heartbreaking it is:sad:

Love4himies
November 5th, 2007, 07:42 AM
You will know when it is time to let go, I also had a cat die of cancer who I let go about a week too late, please don't make the same mistake I did.

csabetti
November 14th, 2007, 09:14 AM
:sad: Hi, I'm so sorry to hear about your cat(s) being sick and having to put them down. I think it's the hardest decision in the world to have to make. As bad as this sounds I was praying that Dusty would pass away here at home in his own time but now I'm not so sure that's going to happen. His body looks like the shape of a football - I guess that's the fluid that the vet said he would be getting more and more of. The vet also said that I could bring him in and he could drain a lot of the fluids. I don't think that's the answer as I think I would be just trying to hold on to him for myself. He doesn't clean himself anymore - I don't think he can. He is always so thirsty and when he isn't drinking he makes this noise with his mouth like it's dry. He still uses the litter for peeing not so much for the other that I can see. He was still eating pretty good up till yesterday - now he just's looks at it and looks away. I guess I do know what I have to do I just don't know if, how or when I can do it. How did you know that it was time and what gave you the strength to do it? I welcome your answers and your support. Thank you so much.

Love4himies
November 14th, 2007, 10:10 AM
I knew it was time when my kitty could no longer go to the bathroom. It was seeing him suffer and there was nothing left to do to save him that I gathered up the strength to make the call. I was force feeding him a high calorie food and water to keep up his strength, but he really should have been put down a week or two before, I still have guilt feelings about being too late. He had no enjoyment out of life, he just lied under the bed, only coming out to use the litterbox. If you feel you kitty can no longer enjoy his life, if he is no longer eating, playing, or coming out for cuddles, then it is time to talk to your vet. Do you know if he is in pain?

The strength comes the deep love you have for him from wanting to end his suffering after you have done everything you can to save him. You will know in your heart when it is time. It comes from knowing you have given this kitty a better life than a lot of humans on this earth and he must now move on. You have rescued this kitty and have given him an excellent life.
:grouphug: to you, I know how hard it is.
You and Dusty are in my prayers.

CyberKitten
November 15th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I am so very sorry to hear of your sad news! When I 1st read your post, I figured I'd be writing back to suggest you buy some sweaters- I have Sphynx kitties with no hair and they need to keep warm with sweaters and other ways. But I am so sorry it is cancer!!

I think you will know- since you know your cat - when it is time for him to go.Please do not keep him alive just for the sake of being alive. If he has no quality of life and is in serous pain and sick, you may have to find it in yourself - as hard as I know that is - to let go and have the vet help him have a peaceful, painless death, one with you holding and petting him as he goes to the bridge. That is very hard for you - and him - but he will know when he's ready (you will see the signs too!). If he cannot eat properly and he us just being kept alive by pain and other meds - that in itself is a good sign that his life is not what he'd want.

Many cats diagnosed with cancer do very well but your guy is 18 and it sounds like you and he have shared some good time together. That is what you should think about. Even ask your vet if he will do it at your home so you do not have to go thru the hassle of bringing him to a clinic for his last few hrs with you. Cats are easily stressed and dying at home is a wonderful gift you cold give him.

Take care of yourself too and please come back and share with us your grief and stories about Dusty. We have all lost pets and understand your pain - it is a difficult time. We are here for you - and Dudty!!! My heart goes out to you!!!

:grouphug:

csabetti
November 15th, 2007, 11:01 AM
:sad:Yesterday I made probably the hardest decision of my life - I knew.... and I believe he knew and was trying to tell me... it was time. I made the call at 2:30 to the vet's and when the girl (Amy) answered I couldn't say the words. She knew what the call was about and I couldn't say anything. She started by saying what is your name and that she could figure out the rest. They already knew Dusty there and knew that this call was coming. His appointment was for 6:30pm. I laid on my bed with him on my chest till 6:10pm. Poor thing... he even pee'd on me but didn't move except his head to look at me. I think this was definately another sign. He tried earlier that morning to get into his litter which is only 4 inches off the ground and he couldn't do it. We just laid there together - him looking at me and me talking to him telling him what a GREAT KITTY he was. He honestly and truly was. He never got on the table or counter tops. He only went outside when I was out there on the patio. He wouldn't come out otherwise. He slept at the end of our bed every night except for the last 2 weeks. He slept right between my husband and myself every night. I know I could go on and on.... He was my Little Baby Boy and that's what I called him. My husband and myself took him to the vets wrapped up in a blanket and I held him in my arms all the way there. He never made a sound. He just would look at me the whole time. We had made the descision to bring Dusty back home with us and put him in our beautiful garden that my husband had made. I put a warm blanket inside this Christmas tin (he fit purrrfectly in) you know when they curled up in a circle with their heads down and their tails wrapped around them - that's how he was (like his old self). He couldn't do that before he got sick because of all the fluids in his lungs and stomach. He could only lay on his stomach, he couldn't even lie on his side. I then put our daughters baby blanket over him (that's what we used on our bed for him to cover him - he liked being covered). I put the lid on and hot glued it shut, we said a prayer and put him in the garden. Man this is hard. I still look around and wait for him to come into the kitchen an meow at me for some chicken or pork. I look around and I don't see him on our bed or on the couch or anywhere. I can't believe this really happened. It's like a nightmare that I can't wake up from. I look out into the garden and think about him being out there. Did I make the right descision to have him burried out there? I know healing is a time thing - but all I do now is wish it away. To hurry the time. Wow... I'm so sorry for making this long - I didn't mean to. Thank you again everybody for all your kind words, prayers and support. I do really feel alone in this and you guys do help. Not everybody is a cat lover so I can't talk to anyone about this because some people think how stupid getting this upset over a cat. But I know you guys understand. Thank you so much.:angel2: Good night Dusty - Mommy loves you and I won't say good-bye only that I'll see you later:angel:

krdahmer
November 15th, 2007, 12:19 PM
:cry: I'm so sorry. Rest in Peace Dusty. :angel2::pray:

It sounds like you had a wonderful goodbye, and now when ever you are missing him and sad you can go to your garden and talk to him. I think that was a great idea and it sounds like he would have appreciated how much you cared for him and made sure he was comfy even after he was gone.

I know how hard this must all be, but he is safe and happy and no longer in pain. And you will see him again. :grouphug::grouphug:

Love4himies
November 15th, 2007, 12:49 PM
:cry::cry::cry:
:grouphug::grouphug: for you! You did the right thing and am so glad you found the strength. Reading your posts brought back so many memories of my Snowball, I am crying at my desk right now, knowing the pain you are going through. It will ease with time, and he will always have a place in your heart.

I had my Snowball cremated and is resting in my house. Always around like he liked to be. Dusty is happy you didn't leave him behind, he would want to be close to you.

Rest in peace, Dusty!

chico2
November 15th, 2007, 05:03 PM
csabetti,You did everything right for sweet Dusty and your garden is a wonderful burial-place.
I have 4 cats in my backgarden,the place they loved the most..
You have me in tears,remembering my Sammy,the last night with us,he slept very close to my face,something he would normally not do,almost as if he said goodbye.
I held him in my arms as he fell asleep for the last time the morning after.
I know the pain and loss is sometimes unbearable,these little guys,take up an awful lot of space in our hearts,but it also feels good knowing we did the right thing,no matter how much it hurts..Dusty is ok now:rip:little boy

phoozles
November 15th, 2007, 06:32 PM
You were super brave to make the decision to end Dusty's pain - the best for both Dusty, and yourself, who doesn't need to remember him in pain, but to remember the good times you spent. The next little while will be hard, but know that we are here for you and you have tons of cat lovers to talk to at anytime. :grouphug:

:rip:Dusty

growler~GateKeeper
November 16th, 2007, 02:21 AM
csabetti :2huggers: I'm sorry you lost your baby Dusty you will see him again @ the bridge :2huggers: & not to worry he is there with you now watching over you

:rip: sweet :angel2: Dusty :cat: :candle: