Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Trimming

Cinnabear
October 14th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Do you trim bleeding hearts, peonies and roses for winter? What about raspberry bushes? Would it give you better yields next year? I live in Northern Alberta. TIA.

mummummum
October 14th, 2007, 11:41 PM
I don't think anyone can answer that without pictures of your garden Cinnabear :laughing:

clm
October 23rd, 2007, 07:37 AM
I don't cut anything back until the spring. Makes for a lot more work in the spring, but the additional foiliage helps to hold the snow better for more insulation. Any seed pods make for natural bird and squirrel food for winter too. I'm not sure how to prune rasberries, but if you google them, I'm sure you'll find answers on whether they grow on new or old canes. Roses I always cut back in spring. If you're dealing with shrub, enlish, antique or climbers, explorer series roses, only prune out dead wood and really old canes.
Hybrid Teas, Floribundas and Grandifloras prune to 3 - 5 strong canes no more than 10 - 12" in height. Remove crossing canes, weak canes and dead wood.
Bleeding hearts should die back to the ground over winter, just clean up the dead foiliage in spring. Peonies and most other perennials, I cut back the old stalks in spring and remove dead foiliage from last year once I can start to work out in the garden without getting covered in mud.

Cindy

want4rain
October 23rd, 2007, 08:45 AM
everberry trim to the ground, summerberry get fruit only on 2yo stalks. :)

-ashley