Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

DentaBone

cutelittlemako
May 25th, 2004, 09:59 PM
I was wondering if my puppy is too young for me to give him DentaBones. He'll be 4 months old next week. I bought these dentabones when I first got him, and I didn't read the label until I got home. On the wrapping it says that it's for adult dogs. I got the small ones, for dogs 11-25 pounds (Mako is about 20 pounds). I want to know if there is any known dangers with this. I figure that I should start him on them now since he's enjoying his chew toys (probably because he is teething), but he doesn't chew on anything else, like furniture. So I'd rather having him develop good habits right away - I want him to have clean teeth!

thanks!

Karin
May 25th, 2004, 10:26 PM
I would hold off of the Dentabones for a while. He needs a puppy diet, these can take away from that. Plus his teeth, while teething, may not be strong enough and he could get a larger than able to handle piece chewed off.
Too many negitives, not enough positives so why risk it....
My opinion...

mrkitty@greenep
May 25th, 2004, 10:38 PM
I have always had better luck with nylabones.....pups chew on them forever and its much easier for them to digest if they should chew it up. Good luck....JENN :)

cutelittlemako
May 25th, 2004, 10:39 PM
Thanks, those are great points, that I had not thought of. He does have a puppy Nylabone, that he LOVES! And I didn't know the difference between the two. I'll wait until he's older.
thanks!

cutelittlemako
May 25th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Thanks Jenn, i'll keep giving him nylabones - he loves them, so it's good.