Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi. Glad I found this website.

Basset Mom
October 14th, 2007, 04:36 PM
Hi
Found this website today while looking up information pertaining to the health of one of my dogs. (Will post my question/comment) in the appropriate forum.
I love my Basset Hounds! Initially I had mini-lop rabbits which I had house trained. The joke was that my rabbits were my basset hound substitute. I wanted to get a dog but had no idea what breed to get. One day my vet phoned and said she had found "my" basset hound. I hustled to the library to research basset hounds as the only basset hound I knew about was "Fred" from the comic section of the newspaper. After extensive reading I was not sure I really wanted a basset hound but decided to visit the breeder. It was love at first sight->Sawyer was a red and white, 9 month old. As soon as I walked into the kitchen, he wrinkled his already wrinkly face, stared at me and then ran over to me, jumped up and tried to lick my face. I was hooked. He loved the show ring. He earned his Canadian and American Championships and I learned about a new way of life. We tried Obedience. He was fine when we practiced at home but was easily distracted at competitions. At one competition we had to do the recall->Sawyer trotted over to me->sat infront of me->walked around to my side, sat down momentarily and then headed for the nearest garbage can. That was the end of competative obedience. We switched to tracking, for fun. Sadly, Sawyer died 8 years ago. I now have his son, Micah and a distant cousin, Pebbles. No, there was never any intent to breed them. Malachi was rescue kitten who has grown up to be a healthy, happy cat who thinks he is a dog. He will only drink out of the dogs' water dish, loves dog food but puts up with eating cat food.
Looking forward to learning from and contributing to this forum.
Basset Mom :ca:

mummummum
October 14th, 2007, 07:51 PM
You have a D-lightful fur family and Sawyer sounds like he was quite the character. Welcome to pets.ca ~ we expect pictures of course !

Frenchy
October 14th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Welcome to pets.ca ! I think you're the only member with Bassethounds :lovestruck: I love the hear bassets bark ! So you will have to post pictures , lots of them !

hazelrunpack
October 14th, 2007, 09:09 PM
Oh, yes! Lots of pictures! :D I love Bassets!

Welcome to the board, Basset Mom!

Chris21711
October 15th, 2007, 09:07 AM
Nobody must have read my profile, I also have two Basset Hounds, have owned Bassets for going on thirty years and love them to death. They are one of the most challenging dogs in their own right. If anyone is looking, there is a purebred female approx. 1 year old for adoption at the OSPCA in Newmarket, Ont. Welcome to the forum, would love to swap stories with you as I don't know anyone with Bassets.

HelenNutmeg
June 15th, 2008, 12:51 PM
:thumbs up Yay another basset owner.. Welcome..

14+kitties
June 15th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Wow! The basset owners are coming out of the woodwork!!! :D I remember that Chris had them. I love seeing pics of them. Hint hint!
Welcome Basset Mom!

Frenchy
June 15th, 2008, 12:57 PM
Basset Mom hasn't log back on since this post , back in October. :shrug:

14+kitties
June 15th, 2008, 01:00 PM
Dang! I gotta start looking at dates! :o I am so goofy at times!
In my defense - I have been up since 530 this morning to get ready to take kitties to get spayed. :shrug:
DUH me!!!!! :wall:

Frenchy
June 15th, 2008, 01:02 PM
In my defense - I have been up since 530 this morning ...

:rolleyes: :whistle:

:laughing:

:offtopic: good luck with the kitties ! :fingerscr :goodvibes:

14+kitties
June 15th, 2008, 01:05 PM
Thanks Frenchy! They made it through fine. Now we are just going to pick them up. Another hour and a half drive both ways. It's worth it. These gals were free!!!!!!!!!!!!!!