Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

worried about my dog

muttmom
October 14th, 2007, 02:31 PM
I am worried about my dog. Hailey is a 5 year old border collie/ beagle mix who we got from a shelter. She recently had what almost seemed like an asthma attack??? she started a constant hiccupping or gasping? and ran around the house licking the floor and everything in sight while trying to eat anything she could find. I panicked and called our vet immediatley. I live in a really small town and because it was a Sunday, it took a while to get a hold of him. When I finally did, my dog's symptoms had vanished and she seemed to be fine. So I made an appointment for later in the week. No more symptoms and the vet thinks it may have been a seisure. I had a hard time believing that though, because she seemed to be fully alert and responsive through the whole thing, even running around. (as a kid I had a dog that had epilepsy and this was nothing like that.) The vet has kind of brushed it off, she's fine now, but I'm still worried. Has anyone ever seen anything like this or have any idea what it might be??

SuperWanda
October 14th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Hi - I have two dogs, one of which has had episodes similar to what you are describing.

Our dog will start to get very uncomfortable and unsettled and she will lick her lips over and over while making gulping sounds like she is continually swallowing. She sometimes hides under the bed or wants to be very close to us. She will paw at her face. She will want to go outside and will start to eat grass or lick the grass - almost like she wants to be sick but she never gets sick. Eventually it seems to get better over about 1/2 hour - 45 min. time.

The couple of vets I saw when this happen didn't seem to be too sure what was going on from my description and told me to try and get a video of it happening (I havn't because it actually hasn't happened in awhile). One suggested a mild seizure or allergy attack. I was told to try giving benedryl to see if that helps (if it is an allergy).

Like you, I freaked out seeing this happening because she seems so scared and uncomfortable. I just try to pet her and calm her when it happens.

Does your dog seem really tired after this happens. Mine usually falls asleep after these events which seems more like a seisure.

I did some reading on the internet about seisures in dogs and read that rosemary can bring on seizures in dogs so I don't buy any foods or treats with rosemary. I have no idea if this has actually helped or not but I did notice her having more of these episodes when she was on a different brand of food that contained rosemary.

Sorry I can't help more - just thought I would post with my experience since it did sound similar.

(My vet also said that she doesn't even treat a dog that has seisures unless they get very frequent. Even a dog that has a seisure once a month will not be put on any medication so it is good to know that if it is a seizure it is probably a very mild one).

muttmom
October 14th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Thank you for your reply. I checked the dog food and it didn't say anything about rosemary, but it got me to thinking. I put some of that sprinkle carpet freshener on my carpet when I vacuumed and it was scented. I have no idea if that was the culprit, but I won't be using that again! Great idea to video tape it. If it happens again I will. That way our vet will know exactly what I'm talking about. We really appreciate your help, it makes me feel better knowing someone else has seen this before. Thank you!!!

t.pettet
October 14th, 2007, 10:05 PM
I have a 7 yr. old pom mix who does this periodically (about once a month) and has been vet checked, blood work etc. He goes into a frenzy of gulping, will also consume anything, especially plants, urgently ask to go outside, eats some grass and either vomit or not. He comes back in drinks a ton of water and then seems fine. I think its a reflux reaction.

satchelp
October 14th, 2007, 10:18 PM
As you described gasping as one of the symptoms, I have to wonder whether your dog went through an episode of 'reverse sneezing'. This link describes it in more detail.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=2335

pitgrrl
October 15th, 2007, 09:52 AM
One of my dogs does this and I'm 99% sure it's stomach acid coming up, like acid reflux. He will have these episodes for hours and at it's worst it will result in vomiting.

In my experience few vets will know what you're talking about, but if you find one that does they'll likely suggest pepcid AC.

SuperWanda
October 15th, 2007, 10:24 AM
In my case it is not reverse sneezing - that did freak me out though with our first dog - sounds like something stuck in your vaccuum cleaner.

Yes -I could see it being acid reflux - maybe bad heartburn making them feel really uncomfortable. Not sure why mine still hides when this happens but maybe she is just feeling scared by the sensation?

I know when she seems really exhausted after I wonder about the seizure theory but who knows? I'm just glad it doesn't happen too often!

I even had an x-ray taken once but it didn't show anything but a few small specks on the lung bronchii which they said indicated some mild asthma but didn't think that was the cause of the symptoms.

pitgrrl
October 15th, 2007, 11:24 AM
Out of curiosity, has anyone noticed a correlation between the frequency of these "episodes" and the time of year?

muttmom
October 15th, 2007, 01:53 PM
I don't know much about acid reflux. Is there a way to prevent it? She doesn't eat table scraps, except of course what my son drops from his high chair.--I'm not sure about it happening at certain times of the year, but I've marked it on my calendar and I will be keeping track if it happens again.

Chicklet
October 15th, 2007, 02:32 PM
My little Dog chappers has displayed similar instances,
Terrible sneezing, snorting and or licking furiously, Running around dragging the side of his head on the floor, Papping at the side of his head/mouth area, throwing up, And drinking. Drinking usual signified the ending of the episode.

First time I didn't know what to think, only lasted a few mins or so,

Turns out, I either just mopped the floor recently, He smelled to closely or licked it for whatever reason, & or my houseplants he couldn't resist a fallen leaf, I always tried to re-step my dogs footsteps, tore beds apart, moved chairs where they recently were, till I put it together,

Got rid of all my house plants that shed leaves,
No cleaning , spray or anything till Doggies are safely sleeping in the bedrooms,
Main cleaning routine now happens after 10 nights. Pills and anything of harmful content is kept in a seperated room , blocked of from the dogs in case of a spill. been there, done that, scared me to death!

I have had no more incidents since, So I'm hoping it remains that way