Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

canine cataracts

Janet DiCarlo
October 13th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Hi, I am wondering if any one has information on canine cataracts. I have a 3 year old golden retriever (Elvis) I took him for his annual checkup. The vet who was new to the practice said Elvis has the start of cataracts in both eyes and we would need to keep an eye on them. I am having a difficult time with this I thought he should be older then 3 before getting cataracts. I started to search the web and found some eye drops for cataracts to desolve them if they are newly formed has anyone ever heard or used them. What can we expect?? I would appreciate any responses. thanks Elvis and Mom

pamha
October 13th, 2007, 10:26 PM
I`m not sure what`s available now as far as treatments for cataracts, but dogs can develop them quite young. There are some kinds that are congenital. Our old doggie had the beginings of them when she was very young and was completely blind by the time she was 8 (she managed very well though and lived to be nearly 15). One of her littermates had very visible cataracts and was nearly blind before he was a year old. We moved, so I don`t know what happened to him. Dogs can get along quite well with little or no sight, if you make some accomadations, but please keep an eye on this and get whatever treatment you can as needed.

satchelp
October 13th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Your dog would have the type of cataracts known as juvenile cataracts, a hereditary condition in Golden Retrievers and some other specific breeds. They usually grow fairly rapidly.

Are the drops you found called 'Ocluvet'? It seems that people have had pretty good success with these, but it is something that you should probably run by your vet. It may also be a good idea to take your dog to a canine opthalmologist for a consultation.

mummummum
October 13th, 2007, 11:20 PM
Surgery is the only treatment used by Vets and my understanding is the sooner it's done the fewer the possible complications. This site has some really good and easy to follow info: http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/ocular%20disorders/cataracts.htm

Let us know if you try the nutraceutical and whether it works though!