Pets.ca - Pet forum for dogs cats and humans 

-->

Hi!! Just adopted my first cat!

missmun52
October 13th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Hi everyone. I just adopted my first cat (kitten) a few hours ago. He is a 5 month old tiger. The shelter that i got him has the cats vaccinated for rabies and inoculated against Distemper, Rhinotracheitit, calici Virus, and pneumonitis. He was also roundwormed but not tapewormed, 3 times and been tested for FIV and leukemia.

They told us he does not need to be taken to the vet for another year but should i take him any way? i dont want him to have any worms or anything.

Also, he is not eating or drinking or going to the bathroom. Should I be concerned, its been 5 hours since we have had him.

Winston
October 13th, 2007, 09:01 PM
Hi everyone. I just adopted my first cat (kitten) a few hours ago. He is a 5 month old tiger. The shelter that i got him has the cats vaccinated for rabies and inoculated against Distemper, Rhinotracheitit, calici Virus, and pneumonitis. He was also roundwormed but not tapewormed, 3 times and been tested for FIV and leukemia.

They told us he does not need to be taken to the vet for another year but should i take him any way? i dont want him to have any worms or anything.

Also, he is not eating or drinking or going to the bathroom. Should I be concerned, its been 5 hours since we have had him.

First off Thank you for adopting a kitten! I would say that it could be too soon to expect anything...Did you show him the litter box by putting him in it? Thats all he needs to really know at this point..Things are really new to him right now and I am sure he is going to have to explore and check things out! I wouldn't worry too much about taking him to the vet unless you see some signs of a problem...especially since they have done alot for him....

Would love to see some pics! and welcome to the forum...there is alot of great information on this site! be sure to check out the food forum so you can get a good bit of information of food/nutrition!

Best of Luck!

Cindy

mummummum
October 14th, 2007, 01:10 AM
Welcome to pets.ca ! Your kitten sounds like he's taking in his new world slowly but surely. And i second the request for pix!!

karatecoco97
October 21st, 2007, 01:33 PM
:Dmaybe its because hes a little Scared cos when
i got my cat(kitten 4 Months)she was scared
she wouldnt come out of her cage so we
had to scoop her out it was pretty funny
and now its like "leave me alone i know what im doing"
sooo give him time to get used to it

KARATECOCO97 A.K.A COURTNEY:D

allymack
October 21st, 2007, 03:45 PM
first off, good choice on adopting! :thumbs up i would just give him some time to get used to his new house, and also show him the litter box by putting him in it, he is sure to catch on soon, espically when he has to go to the bathroom, also, get some pics on here!!:)

TeriM
October 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM
Congrats on the new addition. We'd love to see pics when you get a chance. Give him time, he just needs to relax a bit in his new surroundings. His recent vaccinations may also make him a bit groggy and not hungry.

Good luck :).